Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SLOUGH v BRAINTREE

michaelSTFC

We rode our luck a bit in the second half, but felt great to get a win. Ballard looked excellent, and I thought Steve Daley had a great game, really commanding, and Hodgey is giving 110% this season so far.

Always nice to get one over Borg as well who really is a lovely man.

Attendances are really worrying - how many of the 260 are season ticket holders? But with BFR back i thought it was the most vocal we have been this season, but it was bloody hot out there.

Oh and i won the raffle for the first time in 25 years of playing it!

The attendance was nothing short of a disgrace. Hopefully as the results will now improve so will the crowds but I think we really do need to start dragging people kicking and screaming to the games.

Looked much better playing 3-5-2 and there seemed a better pattern to our play. The concern is when we were defending it left Hodgey very isolated up front on his own. We really need to learn to shoot a bit more as well. Hopefully Chopper and Mason when he is back will start to hit a few from 20 yards.

A few of the players were in the Stag afterwards and they felt it was not a great game and was very scrappy. But I will take as many scrappy 2-1 as we can get thank you very much.

Brooks looked much better playing centrally. And how close was Alexis to blasting that over? Great finish really.

Yes the attendance was poor, but if you look across the attendances for all the leagues it does seem as if people are starting to shy away from going to games.

It could also be to do with recent poor performances or that simply people didnt know about the 1pm kick off, I know that some people were missing from the stand yesterday who are normally dont miss a game.

Then again, I dont expect much of an improvement with travelling fans on Tuesday with Redbridge.

Our average attendance has been in decline since 99.

99/00 - Average 503

00/01 - Average 470 (Season we were relegated)

01/02 - Average 373

02/03 - Average 350 (Final season at WP)

03/04 - Average 327

04/05 - Average 302

The above are league games only. We need to start addressing this now, otherwise there won't be much point in having a new stadium.

I suspect that there are a number of contributory reasons, such as success on the pitch, certainty about the future, a professional look to the management of the club and the good old location, location, location and the major one is probably the last one.

Is it worth trying to identify, with the help of the current hardcore, people whom they know used to come but don't now. Then we could carry out a survey amongst those people and ask them why they don't come anymore and what would encourage them to do so?

Alternatively, or as well, perhaps we could do something with the local press and the website to do it. Once we have got some facts established, even if a bit anecdotal, it will give us some things to work on.

I suspect that many people don't have the transport and don't fancy the sort of epic journeys David makes by public transport to get to Stag Meadow, especially many of the older people who were regular supporters. (Sorry - this may look pathetic to the long distance Rebels who turn up regularly, but I think we need to recognise that to many Slough people, Stag Meadow is a bus ride too far, and if your mates are not going, then you won't either.)

If this is the case, is there any point in looking at a Shuttlebus to bring people from Wexham Park, via the Town Centre on match days? Or a lift sharing scheme? There could be some incentives like anybody who brings say another three people gets in for half price or gets a free strip of tickets for the half time draw and a free programme.

Just a few thoughts......