Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

haddow

To the anon Eastleigh fan above. I would not say that Eastleigh are crap, maybe on a bit of a bad run but not crap. Also yoour comments about your ground, get real! You've got prbably the nicest club in our league at the moment, but at least you have your own ground and some very nice facilities.

They are on a dodgy run. But they seem to be a well organised club with a nice stand and decent supporters and officials. Before our game they were down St. Mary's handing out leaflets trying to boost the attendance. Bloody good work.

Why havent we tried something like that? Ive heard stories of fans of local teams playing away going to lower league games instead. they normally say come down in whatever strip you want and enjoy the game or something like that

Which club would we target though? Eastleigh are about five miles away from St. Marys and they picked a game where the Saints had an early kick off and had time to get back to Eastleigh for a three o'clock. It was a good idea though.

I would have thought the target would have to be any of the following:

Chelsea

Fulham

QPR

Reading

Wycombe

Of those, how many would really be willing to either let us leaflet the area, and then how many of their fans would be bothered to even consider turning up?

Reading & Wycombe can't even sell out their own stadiums, let alone get any of their floating fans to drop quite a few levels of football to watch us.

The football's supposedly not going to be as good, quite frequently the atmosphere is very flat, so where's the appeal to them??

Exactly. We have a few Blue Rebels as it is and I don't see us attracting that many more. I heard a few of the Eastleigh fans who did the leafletting say that the majority of the leaflets were on the floor within seconds and their attendances have not exactly been boosted.

True but I thought the main idea was to get people to turn up to our game and I did not see that many people in Southampton shirts. I hope it works out for you though. I enjoyed the trip to Eastleigh and not just because of the result.

I think its probbably a long drawn out process, but i read somewhere the other day that in Holland everyone has a league and non league club that they support.

I went to Brighton on Saturday and although the football was better (bloody should be at £22 a ticket), we had to sit, my Lewes mates were moaning they couldn't get a beer etc. so non league has its advantages! We just know it takes special matches to draw the chelsea rebels etc to a game.

Still 500 on Sunday was a good attendance.

As good an idea that is I still think it's about getting them hooked from a young age. Adults used to going to professional clubs may occasionally see their local non-league team but it's unlikely to create the bond that will keep them coming back.

Get the kids in!!!!!

Its interesting reading the above thread...no one has mentioned Salisbury.

A couple of weeks ago Shaun Hales was "destined" to go to Eastleigh...so much so their Website officially announced that he had signed a contract. Shaun was playing Conference South Football, and decided that Salisbury was a better place to place than Eastleigh. Of course being an Army person there is no fee's involved.

Salisbury like yourselves (except the probelms over your ground) and Eastleigh are all ambitious to get up the pyramid. I guess it goes down to what the player really wants. Eastleigh will struggle if the powers that be stop ploughing thousands of pounds a week into the club - and also if Winchester City continue to rise.

I think you have a much bigger chance of keeping the guy than anyone else offering a contract.

But who knows...

Looking forward to coming up for our 4th visit to Stag Meadow this evening. We have to win somewhen!!!!

We did not mean to discount the option Futch but on paper it looks as if your promotion push will have to wait until next season. In addition I think in terms of location alone Salisbury would be 3rd preference. Enjoy your latest trip to the Stag.

Indeed it will be next season....but I guess we need to build the squad to ensure we can be there next season.

But football is a funny old game.......you never know whats going to happen from Hour to Hour