Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield 0 Wealdston 8

Two comments:

1) as an EFC supporter since 1978/1979 it is absolutely heartbreaking to see what has happened to the club in recent years. But they no longer represent the borough of Enfield. ETFC do. EFC are just "another club" now

2) Squadron Leader's comments re player wages and revenue are very very relevant. Look at what the board, committee members and supporters of ETFC have achieved in 3 years. Remarkable and very praiseworthy!! But in the long run Brimsdown benefit from the ground improvements and increase in bar takings - fair's fair, that's the deal and it must stand.

If only the council would show the same kind of support and strike some kind of deal to give ETFC some land IN THE BOROUGH and a contribution towards the costs of a new ground. Own ground, own bar, increased revenue, probably Ryman football - onwards and upwards. Then we will have a premier non-league club with its own ground that the borough can truly identify with .....

Quote:
Colin, Germany said:
I have always opposed promotion of better supported teams above clubs who finish higher in their league. Knowing that winning the league will bring promotion is a great motivation for the players, and makes for more exciting matches. If decisions are taken for organisational or commercial reasons, the matches are less interesting. Fans have more reason to be proud of their team if they win promotion instead of having it thrust upon them.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but weren't Enfield 'invited' to join the Alliance Premier League in 1981-82? They went on to win it twice too! I don't think supporters were any less proud of the E's because of the way they were promoted.
By the way, Enfield and Dagenham were promoted from the Isthmian that year, having finished second and seventh respectively.

Anyone who thinks Bar takings are a club's saviour is a obviously very inexperienced in the football world and the business world. Ok I might be wrong here but can anyone tell me a club at our level (or any come to think of it)where the normal bar takings are enough to sustain a club alone? Yes you had your days of Starlight's but I'm not talking about them things, just normal social club bar takings? With me? Food for thought...or booze even.

Never mind bar money- 250 supporters paying approx £4 a head = £1000per home game. 50 supporters paying £8 a head = £400 a game. That's just the gate money, but obviously money raised from programme sales, club merchandise and bar takings would add to that.

Are you seriously telling me that your board doesn't provide any financial backing at all? That Jim Chandler is running a team where the players are on expenses only? I find this very hard to believe.

Take note of the fact that 3 players have left ETFC for one of our main rivals this season. This rival is know to splash the cash and doesn't have the facilities to obtain promotion. This would suggest that perhaps ETFC aren't comparatively big spenders when it comes to paying players (bear in mind that some teams in the ESL pay their players absolutely nothing).

Ginger, at the time EFC were invited into the Conference, was promotion and relegation to and from it automatic? If I remember rightly it was only the second season of the Conference's existence, was it not? Of course EFC's record in the Isthmian League was, err, quite good! I beleive EFC were invited to jon as founder members but were initially wary, can anyone confirm this?

What I'm driving at is that when a new league is being set up, or is in it infancy, it is perfectly legitimate to invite clubs of an appropriate stature to join. This is basically what is happening to Ryman 2 at the moment.

MK James, not only do you have a lower gate income but I presume that your expenses are greater? Probably further travel, higher officials fees, league membership fees, so on and so on. Plus lower gates means fewer programmes to sell etc etc. OK you're only one level above us (at the moment!) and the differences might not be pronounced, but when you're on a tiht budget every litle difference counts.

Quote:
MKJames said:

Never mind bar money- 250 supporters paying approx £4 a head = £1000per home game. 50 supporters paying £8 a head = £400 a game. That's just the gate money, but obviously money raised from programme sales, club merchandise and bar takings would add to that.

Are you seriously telling me that your board doesn't provide any financial backing at all? That Jim Chandler is running a team where the players are on expenses only? I find this very hard to believe.

Hi MK.

We charge £5 a head.

After looking at last years figures....I would estimate that each player for the Town gets on average about £1000 each per season.....don't forget in the old days EFC players were getting that per month.

Quote:
lovely stuff said:
With respect Abbeynut......The money taken over the bar at a match with 300 in attendence ,is a lot more than would be taken over the bar with 40 people in attendence.

I understand that, but do 300 people go into the bar? It's like the programme issue, is it 1 in 3 people buy, so surely not all 300 go into the bar. Now I understand more people means more sales but it also means more expenses, staff utility bills etc. I havent read the other points of view yet before this reply by the way....and actually thinking about it How many clubs would survive at the level they are at without sponsorship, tv money etc. It is well known that clubs cant survive on their gate money alone at the higher level, so bar takings become a supplement along with everything else they can put the midas touch on.

Question How many clubs in the non league do you think would fold or at least drop to their proper level if they did not have wealthy Chairmen pumping money in?

What everyone seems to have forgotten about having your own bar is that it can not only be opened on match days. The Sportsman Lounge used to open for fans to come and enjoy a drink at other times. Other clubs at our level also make a hgell of a lot of money through hiring out their bar for privte functions.

Quote:
The Invisible Man said:
Ginger, at the time EFC were invited into the Conference, was promotion and relegation to and from it automatic? If I remember rightly it was only the second season of the Conference's existence, was it not? Of course EFC's record in the Isthmian League was, err, quite good! I beleive EFC were invited to jon as founder members but were initially wary, can anyone confirm this?

What I'm driving at is that when a new league is being set up, or is in it infancy, it is perfectly legitimate to invite clubs of an appropriate stature to join. This is basically what is happening to Ryman 2 at the moment.

I don't care about the right's or wrong's of EFC's "invitation" to join the Alliance Premier League. I was just pointing out that such things have happened before and will continue to happen. If ETFC get into Ryman 2 because of an "invitation" then so be it.