Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

How long can we go on like this?

It seems from reading recent posts that most members/supporters are in agreement that something has to be done soon to correct our position. 

I said back in August that letting Marcus go before the season had even started could be one of the biggest mistakes the club has made. Many took a moral stance and suggested it would be wrong to hold him back. From a moral point of view I agree with them whole heartedly.

However at the time I queried whether from a business point of view it was the right time for the club. Like it or not we are in a business situation. I also expressed my reasons for saying this. 

I take no pride that my comments then are now showing in our current predicament. Which is that we could be bottom of the league within a few weeks if those under us win their games in hand.

We have not replaced his capacity to score goals. Also the money received from his transfer would seem to have been insufficient to acquire a decent replacement to the squad. This in time may result in falling gates and loss of revenue.  

We have to accept we are now in the real business of running a semi-pro football club and this takes money.

Tough decisions will have to be made soon if we are going to get out of our situation.  It is not  just a change in playing personnel but an adjustment of our financial commitments ie. Is all the amount of  £35,000 needed for the new stand? Or can some be used towards helping our current position?

In the meantime lets keep our finger crossed for some better results in the near future. 

To be honest i’m sick of hearing about Marcus… he’s gone that’s it….the real concern is that we have a board and some supporters that are putting the management before the club… we are heading for a very early relegation and quite frankly it’s as if they think we don’t  belong in the NLS …we are a small club in a big league Gav has done his best and that’s it… as long as we can blame the budget then failure is acceptable…

1 hour ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

It seems from reading recent posts that most members/supporters are in agreement that something has to be done soon to correct our position. 

I said back in August that letting Marcus go before the season had even started could be one of the biggest mistakes the club has made. Many took a moral stance and suggested it would be wrong to hold him back. From a moral point of view I agree with them whole heartedly.

However at the time I queried whether from a business point of view it was the right time for the club. Like it or not we are in a business situation. I also expressed my reasons for saying this. 

I take no pride that my comments then are now showing in our current predicament. Which is that we could be bottom of the league within a few weeks if those under us win their games in hand.

We have not replaced his capacity to score goals. Also the money received from his transfer would seem to have been insufficient to acquire a decent replacement to the squad. This in time may result in falling gates and loss of revenue.  

We have to accept we are now in the real business of running a semi-pro football club and this takes money.

Tough decisions will have to be made soon if we are going to get out of our situation.  It is not  just a change in playing personnel but an adjustment of our financial commitments ie. Is all the amount of  £35,000 needed for the new stand? Or can some be used towards helping our current position?

In the meantime lets keep our finger crossed for some better results in the near future. 

I agree that letting Marcus go so close to the start of the season was not a great decision and should of been done way before then July 20th or something. I’ve also heard most of the money we get is a sell on clause so has Gillingham pulled the wool over our eyes for him? While I don’t agree we would of been ‘holding him back’ he would obviously be amazing in the NLS and too good for this league and I think we’d be well clear of relegation at this point of the season. But, on the flipside - Marcus wouldn’t of helped us defensively and we would still be letting in goals for fun.

Obviously, our financial situation isn’t the best. Worthing clearly offered something else compared to us for Faal to come back and that’s why we have got Hutchinson instead of him at the moment.

What worries me the most is that if we go down we will not see us back here in a long long while, and the board and/or management has to realise that staying in this league for this season could be huge for funds and huge for fans to stay engaged with the club. I know most of us will be following the Towners no matter if we’re in isthmian or lower but I don’t want to see us being a one season wonder, I want us to be doing bigger things as such. 

Maybe this is reactionary and I’m being blinded by the fact that results haven’t gone our way recently or atall but something needs to change whether that’s a change of managment or using some of the £35,000 we have raised to invest it into trying to stay up although I know we would all like a new stand but what’s a new stand if there isn’t fans to sit in it?

26 minutes ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

To be honest i’m sick of hearing about Marcus… he’s gone that’s it….the real concern is that we have a board and some supporters that are putting the management before the club… we are heading for a very early relegation and quite frankly it’s as if they think we don’t  belong in the NLS …we are a small club in a big league Gav has done his best and that’s it… as long as we can blame the budget then failure is acceptable…

I don’t think we’re a ‘small club’ in a big league. I think we’re more then capable in being a stable of the NLS. We have the attendances for it, there’s clubs that’s been in the same league that have or are averaging around 500/700 fans? I know there’s more factors into what a ‘big club’ is but to say we don’t belong in the NLS is simply not true

1 hour ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

Yes I'm guessing I'm one of those supporters that isn't jumping to hang, drawn and quarter Gav and the management team but not because I'm putting them above the club but because I think they deserve to see out the season. They got us here so they deserve to try and keep us here. They were revered 5 months ago yet because we've had a poor start, suddenly they are the devil incarnate....sorry doesn't sit well with me!  Everyone loved his Gav ball but suddenly he doesn't know shit apparently. If you want to blame something then blame the fact that they over achieved last season and should never really have come up. We weren't amazing last season and I don't think hand on heart anyone really thought we would win the play offs. What a difference losing would have done to attitudes. People would have put it down to a great first season for the management and the board would have then looked seriously into how to realistically fund and resource a step up. But we are where we are and people need to accept we weren't ready. Fans said we know it's going to be tough and we will struggle to survive but as soon as it gets that way the attitude changes, they talk like we are under performing but in actual fact it's just the opposition are better at this level than us. Would I love us to stay up? Of course, but I won't be blaming everyone if we don't, I will accept we did our best with what we had and gave it a go. Some people speak as if Gav, management, and even players want us to lose which is ridiculous. They go out there every match giving their best but sometimes the best just ain't good enough and bringing back old managers is just living in the past....let's bring back Andy Leese shall we? No, thought not! Oh and as for using the crowd funding money for something other than what it was advertised for then I'm pretty sure that would be leaving ourselves wide open for investigation as people didn't donate to fund our squad they donated for ground improvements! Would have to publicly offer refunds etc and make ourselves look very stupid and very dodgy!

Edited by No bull Towner
Add to post

50 minutes ago, ETFC2001 said:

I don’t think we’re a ‘small club’ in a big league. I think we’re more then capable in being a stable of the NLS. We have the attendances for it, there’s clubs that’s been in the same league that have or are averaging around 500/700 fans? I know there’s more factors into what a ‘big club’ is but to say we don’t belong in the NLS is simply not true

Exactly so why are we accepting relegation so casually ?  …. i wonder how many of the board were quietly wishing we had never beat Chatham ?

just seen latest interview and again week after week players thrown under the bus …apparently no one follows the instructions given ..if that is the case then he really has lost the players… 

Thanks E2000 I think what you have written is in line with my thinking and paraphrases what I said back in August.

For my part I have been a follower/supporter of both EFC and ETFC since 1947( excluding my own playing days and National service) and therefore retain a vested interest in our current predicament.  

As far as WDIB is concerned my reference to Marcus is because it is my view that it was the start of our current decline started and could have been handle better. Some seem to forget that we members are not only involved in a football club but also a business. However, I am afraid I don't quite understand what he means in his reference to the " Board and supporters and management etc". Because I expect the Board and members to try to manage a way out of our situation. That's what running any business business means. Or even any club.    

Despite last Saturday and last night...I remain utterly convinced we can remain in the NLS...really.

But Saturday is gonna be crucial.

COYT ✊🏻✊🏻✊🏻

1 minute ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

Exactly so why are we accepting relegation so casually ?  …. i wonder how many of the board were quietly wishing we had never beat Chatham ?

just seen latest interview and again week after week players thrown under the bus …apparently no one follows the instructions given ..if that is the case then he really has lost the players… 

I don’t think anyone’s accepting relegation, people are just being honest about our situation. We’re against it massively whether that’s lack of personnel, lack of budget, Marcus leaving us etc.

Gavin isn’t trying to put anyone under the bus, but players have to take responsibility, the corner is schoolboy stuff! No excuse for not atleast being more productive when they have 10 men, we really should of got a point atleast.

The playoffs is unpredictable, anything can happen in a one game elimination game, we’re here now, fans and the board must of knew we was going to be against it this season after Marcus left.

2 minutes ago, Kent Towner said:

Despite last Saturday and last night...I remain utterly convinced we can remain in the NLS...really.

But Saturday is gonna be crucial.

COYT ✊🏻✊🏻✊🏻

Saturday is definitely crucial, a win into the break could be crucial for the players to mentally reset and for Gavin to have a break and practice a few things could be massive for our season.

Let’s just get behind them, COYT

The new stand is a requirement to meet National League standards. Clubs that do not meet minimum seating requirements at the start of the season commit to installing it by a set date in the season in order to be allowed to compete in the league. The money cannot be used elsewhere. 

Edited by lovely stuff

2 minutes ago, lovely stuff said:

The new stand is a requirement to meet National League standards. Clubs that do not meet minimum seating commit to installing it by a set date in the season in order to be allowed to compete. The money cannot be used elsewhere. 

Ah yes, that’s a good point yeah I did forget about that.