Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Maidstone

Reading Rebel

14 hours ago, G Brown said:

Scotty’s best Summer signing in my opinion, should be playing at a much higher level, class

That's a big shout GB. I think Henry and John Gilbert would be in there as well and for me, impact wise, Gilbert is the best summer signing we made. What a great position to be in though that we aren't even talking about Lexus, Sam Evens or Lord Lucan in that list. Some excellent recruitment by the guys thus far I'd say.

22 hours ago, sdelaney2308 said:

Must be said what a difference  the treatment we as away fans got at there Superb Stadium compared to Woking and other big clubs we we have been to allowed  into the bar chatting with their supporters watching the Premier game food and other facilities standing behind the goal in there big stand next to there supporters great atmosphere and sìnging on a sunny day was fantastic why can.t all clubs do this. 2 coppers at the ground had a deserved easy afternoon.

Well done Maidstone 👌 and volunteers as at every club who keep the clubs running.

COYREBELS 

I agree with you Steve that the experience we had as fans at Maidstone was much better than what we had to put up with at Woking.

Even had a proper match programme, not one of those free on-line editions only ones, like Woking did, which to me, someone who loves his match programmes, are a complete waste of time.

I do wonder though whether the players would agree with your glowing account of all things Maidstone Steve.

After the game, I heard one of our players  ( I won't name him ), complaining strongly that Maidstone wouldn't let the Slough players park in the Maidstone FC car park.

I would guess that trying to find somewhere to park when you're a player arriving at a place like Maidstone would not be something you'd want to deal with before a match.

As I got on the coach after the game, it was pointed out to me that David's car ( I assumed David Ogbonna's ) was parked in front of us.

( Just to point out that we weren't parked in any car park and it wasn't David who had complained about the parking situation.)

As we drove off and moved past it, it looked to me as though some sort of ticket was attached to the outside of one of its windows.

Now I don't know if that really was David's car and if it was a parking ticket attached to its window, but I heard with my own ears the Slough player comments about the parking situation at Maidstone. 

I don't know whether most clubs let players park in their club car park, but Maidstone definitely didn't let  at least one Slough player do so.

On another topic, in the Maidstone match programme  there was an article by their Director of Football.

He had been asked how much extra revenue would be needed to compete with an "average" budget in the National League.

Considering that Maidstone must at the moment already have a massive budget compared to ours, his answer of an extra £400k - £500k on top of this to compete with the average NL clubs is scary.

To end with, it was pleasing ( I guess), to see some newer, younger faces on the coach on Saturday.

It was disappointing though, to see another old English tradition being erased and ignored, namely the long established English art of queuing.

When the coach arrived at St. Joe's to take us to the game, these young un's  just waltzed past us old timers from the rear and huddled around the door of the coach to get on it in front of us.

The younger generation, eh ?

Edited by Holyport Rebel

I've been to Maidstone but can't remember what the parking situation is like.

Saying sorry but players can't park at the ground is difficult to fathom as I thought players and officials were given priority parking at all grounds?

Imagine if we turned round and said sorry but the visiting clubs players/officials were not permitted to park at the ground.

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, SloughFlyer said:

That's a big shout GB. I think Henry and John Gilbert would be in there as well and for me, impact wise, Gilbert is the best summer signing we made. What a great position to be in though that we aren't even talking about Lexus, Sam Evens or Lord Lucan in that list. Some excellent recruitment by the guys thus far I'd say.

It's early days but agree there's a few players that have done exceptionally well so far, Charlie Horlock being one of them.  

Edited by Reading Rebel

17 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

It's early days but agree there's a few players that have done exceptionally well so far, Charlie Horlock being one of them.  

For me Gilbert just shades it purely down to his constant harrowing and closing down, he must be the fittest player at the club. But all the players we’ve signed have been great and goes to show what a good eye our management team have.

2 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

I agree with you Steve that the experience we had as fans at Maidstone was much better than what we had to put up with at Woking.

Even had a proper match programme, not one of those free on-line editions only ones, like Woking did, which to me, someone who loves his match programmes, are a complete waste of time.

I do wonder though whether the players would agree with your glowing account of all things Maidstone Steve.

After the game, I heard one of our players  ( I won't name him ), complaining strongly that Maidstone wouldn't let the Slough players park in the Maidstone FC car park.

I would guess that trying to find somewhere to park when you're a player arriving at a place like Maidstone would not be something you'd want to deal with before a match.

As I got on the coach after the game, it was pointed out to me that David's car ( I assumed David Ogbonna's ) was parked in front of us.

( Just to point out that we weren't parked in any car park and it wasn't David who had complained about the parking situation.)

As we drove off and moved past it, it looked to me as though some sort of ticket was attached to the outside of one of its windows.

Now I don't know if that really was David's car and if it was a parking ticket attached to its window, but I heard with my own ears the Slough player comments about the parking situation at Maidstone. 

I don't know whether most clubs let players park in their club car park, but Maidstone definitely didn't let  at least one Slough player do so.

On another topic, in the Maidstone match programme  there was an article by their Director of Football.

He had been asked how much extra revenue would be needed to compete with an "average" budget in the National League.

Considering that Maidstone must at the moment already have a massive budget compared to ours, his answer of an extra £400k - £500k on top of this to compete with the average NL clubs is scary.

To end with, it was pleasing ( I guess), to see some newer, younger faces on the coach on Saturday.

It was disappointing though, to see another old English tradition being erased and ignored, namely the long established English art of queuing.

When the coach arrived at St. Joe's to take us to the game, these young un's  just waltzed past us old timers from the rear and huddled around the door of the coach to get on it in front of us.

The younger generation, eh ?

HR like you being on the coach parking was last thing on my mind.                                        Parking at most clubs is a problem and when clubs do have a big space making it difficult for away teams and supporters to use it does seem odd 🫣

Edited by sdelaney2308

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

For me Gilbert just shades it purely down to his constant harrowing and closing down, he must be the fittest player at the club. But all the players we’ve signed have been great and goes to show what a good eye our management team have.

Agree.

Gilbs has been exceptional.

I know it's his game but maybe control his aggression a tad or he could pick up some suspensions throughout the season.

1 hour ago, sdelaney2308 said:

HR like you being on the coach parking was last thing on my mind.                                        Parking at most clubs is a problem and when clubs do have a big space making it difficult for away teams and supporters to use it does seem odd 🫣

If teams have limited parking space they normally stop supporters parking but normally always have/reserve spaces for players, officials etc.

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Weren’t Maidstone the club we complained about not providing post match food/drink for our team?

It was Maidstone and they didn't this time either. They offered us 6 spaces in total which isn't enough for all our players and management team. Ashley personally decided not to take one of these and to find somewhere else to park.

Tbf they have very little space outside the ground itself.

1 hour ago, rebelbrewer said:

It was Maidstone and they didn't this time either. They offered us 6 spaces in total which isn't enough for all our players and management team. Ashley personally decided not to take one of these and to find somewhere else to park.

I wonder why the team didn’t travel by coach especially being a longer journey (you could understand the club wouldn’t book one for local distances). Why would Maidstone continue to refuse to offer any ‘hospitality’ I presume to all away teams? How mean is that!

Still think it was Dover who didn't lay on any food and no broadcasting allowed 😏

Maybe both clubs.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Did we know in advance that only 6 spaces were allocated for players and staff?