Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

National League South

djwilf

23 24                                  Relegated  Dover,      Havant and W,       Taunton T.     Dartford.       Bishop S*

23 24                                  Promoted   Enfield Town. 21     Chesham. 14     Hornchurch.18     Salisbury. 13.            Current positions

22 23                                  Relegated.  Dulwich H,    Cheshunt,    Concord R,       Hungerford T.      

22 23                                  Promoted.   Aveley.          WSM              Truro C           Bishop S*

21 22                                   Relegated.  Billericay Town 

21 22                                   Promoted.  Worthing,     Cheshunt.      Taunton          Farnborough

Dear all, been giving this some thought now for a while to show the size of the task we face.   Cheshunt, Dulwich, Billericay Concord, and I've included Bishop S even though they were in our league were treated even more harshly as despite being just up the A10 they had some monster journeys last year being in NLN      Some of those positions above may be inaccurate however I think most are as they seem.

Anyway, all those teams only managed to stay in NLS for one or two seasons at the most.   Havant and W were playing up at Liverpool just over a decade ago and took the lead twice against the Reds.

I guess some of you with better knowledge than me may be able to make more of this post than I have however I think it goes a long way to showing that getting to the National League South is one thing.    I think only now are some of us starting to realise just how big a job we have on our hands and Gavin is clearly trying to do his best with his coaching staff.  I think some of the performances recently have started to show a bit more strength and character but there are very FEW easy games if any at this level and as some of you have intimated, finishing in 20th place could well be the best we hope for.   Our goals conceded has been a major issue and clearly this needs to be sorted before too long otherwise it will be too late.   We have played probably a quarter of the season and we drastically need an improvement in our luck/performances/quality of play etc etc.    Here's hoping the squad can get fit, the players can get to know each other quickly and we can start getting some points as I don't think some confidence will go amiss either.     Hopefully the team can become a bit more settled and we link some good performances together as we get into the main part of the season.

Here's hoping and I'm sure the fans will do all they can to tilt the pitch in our favour.     It is SO difficult to stay in this league.  Would be interesting to know the average length of time a team stays in this league after being promoted?

Its all very well watching a few highlight videos from afar last season and assuming your team can stand and trade with the Sloughs and Maidstone's of the non-league world on the basis of an FA Cup tie (or two) several years back. Unfortunately the gulf between Steps 2 and 3 is very significant. I'm enjoying the NLS though - better players, better play, more tactically astute management, more opposition fans, better grounds. NLS has a lot going for it - and I'd like Town to stay there. Its a big ask though. This season feels a bit like trying to swim away from a shark - only you don't have to out-swim the shark. You only have to out-swim four others alongside you in order to make it to safety. Here's hoping Gavin can somehow work a miracle!

I have every faith in the team getting their act together as the season progresses. A couple of wins over the next couple of weeks will do our position the power of good as they are teams around us. Wins breed confidence and that is what we are lacking right now; a bit of belief that we can do enough to stay up. COYT you've got this!