Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

ETFC v Aveley

Like many other supporters I hope for wins/drawers against those other struggling teams around us.

However, as the current weather is still confining me to barracks I have spent time watching some of the highlights of the games we have lost.. Especially those where we have conceded several goals. 

One thing about these games is how we have defended. Although It is accepted for a majority of players to defend deep this has to be organised and disciplined so that they hold there positions and defensive line. Preferably around the penalty area. However a number of goals have been scored against us when several of our players break ranks and dive in and leave gaps. 

Although the play shown in the videos only covers about  10% of play it show that when defending we have rarely have an out let. Hence the long ball out comes straight back.

From his recent interview I felt Gavin is near the end of his tether. I don't envy his position. But I would support him if he decides to cull some of the "experienced" players within the current squad and recruit some younger players, with pace and ability, from lower divisions. I am sure he and his admin team could find it easier to train them into their ethos.

WE will have to wait and see!!!! 

Not again. Just before halftime we score and then a minute or so later we let one in. 

Even if we go on to win to me this is more than a coincidence as it's becoming too repetitive. It's almost as if someone is playing the bookies!!!!! 

If this is just a wild conspiracy theory then the alternative could be that someone is trying hard to get Gavin the sack!!! 

No doubt others will have their opinions but you have to admit it's more than a bit odd. Rather like timings of fouls, the number of no balls in a specific over in a test match. They have already been tried. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

13 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Yet another coincidence No 4 against on the score sheet. 🥶 creepy!!!!! 

I really don't think this is some sort of conspiracy theory or betting scandal but more that the defence just switch off and relax instead of staying on it. Can't see Forster wanting the conceded tally!! They played with low sun in their eyes second half and perhaps Forster would have benefited from a cap or visor and he got away with a couple of misjudgements today and without him on top of his game the outcome was almost inevitable. The defence is just at sixes and sevens though and although we looked much better going forward we looked the same old likely to concede at the back. Getting harder to keep the faith losing the lower teams. The proverbial shark is closing in and we are going to struggle to keep 4 behind us

To concede at least 4 at home again is nothing short of criminal. It is quite clear that Gavin does not have the answers. The players he has recruited and selected all over the pitch are not up to this level. Is it down to budget, or is it down to Gavin's judgement when it comes to scouting and recruitment? I don't know. What I do know is that our defence is not good enough - with the exception of Xavier Benjamin. 

Once again the players opted to go long time after time. Unfortunately for us Aveley had a pair of 7ft monsters in the back line who gobbled up long ball after long ball. When we found space and got the ball down we had some joy.

I'm thoroughly confused why Jake Hutchinson is starting in front of RBR - he is worth a place on the bench at best. In an ideal world Harry Ottaway wouldn't be a starter either (as he approaches his 36th birthday).

It is all incredibly disappointing watching Gavin now completely bereft of ideas as he selects the 40th(?!) different player of the campaign. Quite why we're bothering with a new 400-seater stand is beyond me - and if I were on the Planning Committee I might question the need for such a structure in time for the end of March '25!

Looking at the fans forums for St Albans and Weymouth, there are vociferous calls for their managers to be replaced. Given that we are at the same level and in similar situation, should our standards be any lower?

7 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

To concede at least 4 at home again is nothing short of criminal. It is quite clear that Gavin does not have the answers. The players he has recruited and selected all over the pitch are not up to this level. Is it down to budget, or is it down to Gavin's judgement when it comes to scouting and recruitment? I don't know. What I do know is that our defence is not good enough - with the exception of Xavier Benjamin. 

Once again the players opted to go long time after time. Unfortunately for us Aveley had a pair of 7ft monsters in the back line who gobbled up long ball after long ball. When we found space and got the ball down we had some joy.

I'm thoroughly confused why Jake Hutchinson is starting in front of RBR - he is worth a place on the bench at best. In an ideal world Harry Ottaway wouldn't be a starter either (as he approaches his 36th birthday).

It is all incredibly disappointing watching Gavin now completely bereft of ideas as he selects the 40th(?!) different player of the campaign. Quite why we're bothering with a new 400-seater stand is beyond me - and if I were on the Planning Committee I might question the need for such a structure in time for the end of March '25!

Looking at the fans forums for St Albans and Weymouth, there are vociferous calls for their managers to be replaced. Given that we are at the same level and in similar situation, should our standards be any lower?

Excuses are running thin now for Gavin with the constant changing players and the personnel we have signed to ‘bolster’ the squad.

Once again, the defense is shocking for this level bar Mills and Benjamin. Every goal is the same, a low cross driven into the box and no one wants to hoof the ball out and if we do no one is at the second ball and there’s a man left free on the edge.

Good at going forward sometimes but also at times it’s sideways then backwards then a long ball or a cross into the box which does nothing considering they have two 6’5 players at the back. 

Not sure where we go from here, but I can’t see it getting much better from this moment on.

16 minutes ago, ETFC2001 said:

Not sure where we go from here, but I can’t see it getting much better from this moment on.

The consensus on this forum seems be that we just have to 'suck it up' and 'take our medicine' while we're loitering around NLS. For me that shows a lack of ambition, poor planning and a reluctance by the board to make the right decisions. The turn-over of players is a symptom of poor management. And as for our 'goals against' tally...!

Of course we need a change but i really can’t see the board having the balls to replace the manager so therefore we are stuck with it…. Do the management team spend any time on defending drills… the time and the space the oppo have around our box is ridiculous.. defenders standing ten yards off their player only moving after they have received the ball…. we are not a team i do believe there is ability out there but unless you are a unit individual talent won’t get you no where…highlight was Oyenuga (MOM by a mile how on earth Tuck got it is beyond me )who made several runs and crosses only to find the strikers two yards behind him….again we lost every single header but still the high balls were pumped in… basically in a nutshell we have some ability but are absolutely clueless tactically… 

15 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

The consensus on this forum seems be that we just have to 'suck it up' and 'take our medicine' while we're loitering around NLS. For me that shows a lack of ambition, poor planning and a reluctance by the board to make the right decisions. The turn-over of players is a symptom of poor management. And as for our 'goals against' tally...!

I agree that some fans are treating this league like it’s a holiday because new stadiums, bigger away days etc which is fair enough but at what point do we look at making changes because I don’t want Enfield to be another Cheshunt or such. 

The goals against tally is the worst in all of NLS, NLN AND NL. Most likely beyond that also, which is disgraceful and I don’t understand how anyone thinks we can stay up conceding these many goals. I wonder what Gavin will say in his interview because we aren’t making any steps forward in staying up.

8 minutes ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

Of course we need a change but i really can’t see the board having the balls to replace the manager so therefore we are stuck with it…. Do the management team spend any time on defending drills… the time and the space the oppo have around our box is ridiculous.. defenders standing ten yards off their player only moving after they have received the ball…. we are not a team i do believe there is ability out there but unless you are a unit individual talent won’t get you no where…highlight was Oyenuga (MOM by a mile how on earth Tuck got it is beyond me )who made several runs and crosses only to find the strikers two yards behind him….again we lost every single header but still the high balls were pumped in… basically in a nutshell we have some ability but are absolutely clueless tactically… 

Agree, really was impressed with Oyenuga and also Smith but yeah once again no Plan B or C. It’s just pray they make a mess of a long ball which was never going to happen because of the 7 footers at the back today. I agree we have a lot of individual talent in Tuck, Mills, Benjamin etc but it’s clear something isn’t clicking and something has to fast.

4 minutes ago, ETFC2001 said:

I wonder what Gavin will say in his interview because we aren’t making any steps forward in staying up.

There is nothing new that Gavin can/will say - 'the players keep making mistakes'...'I pick the players'...'I can't tell you why they keep doing it'.

If there was never any prospect of us staying up, then why did we accept the offer of promotion via the play-offs?

13 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

There is nothing new that Gavin can/will say - 'the players keep making mistakes'...'I pick the players'...'I can't tell you why they keep doing it'.

If there was never any prospect of us staying up, then why did we accept the offer of promotion via the play-offs?

I think there was much optimism beyond the fans we could stay up and with the right signings we would be comfortable to say there was atleast 4 worst teams then us to stay up.

I understand the step up is a massive one but we’re now 13 games in and optimism is at an all time low beyond fans if we are shipping 4 goals at home to Aveley, and have a -20 goal difference by October.