Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Matt Lench

49 minutes ago, cufcgeneral said:

Minhas a mercenary 😂 talk about still holding onto your bitterness - maybe have a read of this before assuming players have just moved for money MINHAS’ GENERAL MISSION - The Non-League Football Paper

I don’t know about others but I’m unable to read this article as I don’t have a subscription.

What does Minhas say was his main reason for leaving then?

1 hour ago, SloughFlyer said:

You got it wrong in the 3 words after "let me get it this right" RR. Lench wasn't our best player at all. Baylis is a better player in his position than Lench was in his, Henry is a better midfielder than Lench was, David Ogbonna is better in his position than Lench was. All in my opinion of course.

We don't often disagree on much SF but I'm pretty certain 99% of the Slough support will say you're wrong on your opinion of Matt Lench.

For a number of seasons Matt Lench has been our best midfielder bar none and to say Dan Bayliss is a better player in his position is TBH a bit laughable. I like Bayliss and consider him to be an excellent addition to our squad but there is no comparison.

Henry Ochieng looks a very good player but is a holding midfielder who breaks up attacks so any comparison with what Lench brought to the side is just not comparable.

Oggy on his day is excellent but does blow hot and cold and again no comparison. 

7 hours ago, Curtis said:

Personally having watched our style of play this season I am not surprised by this decision.

I will miss Matt Lench’s flair & big personality though & will forever remember this classy performance against Gainsborough:-

https://www.sloughtownfc.net/reports/5159

Are you saying it's route one football when Lenchy likes to play football on the ground?

Edited by Reading Rebel

59 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

We don't often disagree on much SF but I'm pretty certain 99% of the Slough support will say you're wrong on your opinion of Matt Lench.

For a number of seasons Matt Lench has been our best midfielder bar none and to say Dan Bayliss is a better player in his position is TBH a bit laughable. I like Bayliss and consider him to be an excellent addition to our squad but there is no comparison.

Henry Ochieng looks a very good player but is a holding midfielder who breaks up attacks so any comparison with what Lench brought to the side is just not comparable.

Oggy on his day is excellent but does blow hot and cold and again no comparison. 

The best bit about it RR is I do t mind being different to 99% of the Slough support. I was in the 1% about North as well😂😂. What I will always do is give reasons behind my opinions and back up what I've seen as best as possible.

I think many Slough fans are slightly "blind" to Lench's abilities and what he bought to the team (especially in the later years) due to him being loved as a person. Equally, the beautiful part of the game we love is there will always be different opinions on everything. That's the best part.

32 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Anyone know if he's  still signed to play for Virginia Water?

I don't think he can be now Irishadrian as he would have been dual registered so once we have released his "parent" club registration, I assume that releases the dual part as well.

1 hour ago, SloughFlyer said:

The best bit about it RR is I do t mind being different to 99% of the Slough support. I was in the 1% about North as well😂😂. What I will always do is give reasons behind my opinions and back up what I've seen as best as possible.

I think many Slough fans are slightly "blind" to Lench's abilities and what he bought to the team (especially in the later years) due to him being loved as a person. Equally, the beautiful part of the game we love is there will always be different opinions on everything. That's the best part.

I don't think he can be now Irishadrian as he would have been dual registered so once we have released his "parent" club registration, I assume that releases the dual part as well.

SF, we're all entitled to our opinions and I respect yours but pIease tell me you're kidding when you say 'Slough fans are slightly blind to Lench's abilities and what he bought to the team'.

That not only brings into question most of the Slough fans judgement but also players who've played with him and managers who've not only managed him but seen him play.

They can't all be blind to his ability as a player.

12 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

SF, we're all entitled to our opinions and I respect yours but pIease tell me you're kidding when you say 'Slough fans are slightly blind to Lench's abilities and what he bought to the team'.

That not only brings into question most of the Slough fans judgement but also players who've played with him and managers who've not only managed him but seen him play.

They can't all be blind to his ability as a player.

RR - if all the fans, players and managers are right, why has he left us? If he was our best player, why did he, himself expect to fight for his place? Surely he would be the first name on the team sheet? Don't get me wrong, Lench provided some good moments, but as I said, no issues with me that he has left (I'd also argue that as our "best player" we haven't exactly missed him thus far have we?)

14 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

RR - if all the fans, players and managers are right, why has he left us? If he was our best player, why did he, himself expect to fight for his place? Surely he would be the first name on the team sheet? Don't get me wrong, Lench provided some good moments, but as I said, no issues with me that he has left (I'd also argue that as our "best player" we haven't exactly missed him thus far have we?)

SF, I can guarantee you that ability, lack of or whatever you'd like to call it had nothing to do with Matt Lench's departure.

The club have stated that they wish to go in a different direction which I'm pretty sure is mainly to do with recruiting younger players.

As for expecting to fight for his place, why would any player, no matter how good they are, expect to go straight back into the starting 11 when the team are performing so well?

As for not missing him thus far, you could argue that we've only played 3 teams in the top half of the table and taken 1 point with the rest of our points coming from sides in the bottom half and 9 points coming from sides in the bottom 4.

Edited by Reading Rebel

9 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

SF, I can guarantee you that ability, lack of or whatever you'd like to call it had nothing to do with Matt Lench's departure.

The club have stated that they wish to go in a different direction which I'm pretty sure is mainly to do with recruiting younger players.

As for expecting to fight for his place, why would any player, no matter how good they are, expect to go straight back into the starting 11 when the team are performing so well?

As for not missing him thus far, you could argue that we've only played 2 teams in the top half of the table and taken 1 point with the rest of our points coming from sides in the bottom half and 9 points coming from sides in the bottom 4.

RR - out of interest, what makes Matt Lench our best player? And, now that he is gone, who is our best player? And, in the 2 tougher games, what difference do you think Lench would have made / who would you have dropped to play him?

Edited by SloughFlyer

31 minutes ago, SloughFlyer said:

RR - out of interest, what makes Matt Lench our best player? And, now that he is gone, who is our best player? And, in the 2 tougher games, what difference do you think Lench would have made / who would you have dropped to play him?

I think we need to clarify that imo he's our best midfielder as obviously he wouldn't be our best defender or striker.

All the traits that quality midfielders have, time and composure on the ball, work rate etc.

Points wise we've done well in our games so far apart from the losses to Weston and Hemel and a good draw at Eastbourne.

Who knows what would have happened in those games, especially the Hemel and Eastbourne games which were close encounters but if we added an experienced quality player to those line ups we could well have had a couple more wins under our belt.

As for leaving a player out, the only player I wouldn't leave out is Ochieng because he not only looks a quality player but he's a completely different type of player to what we already have.   

34 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

I think we need to clarify that imo he's our best midfielder as obviously he wouldn't be our best defender or striker.

All the traits that quality midfielders have, time and composure on the ball, work rate etc.

Points wise we've done well in our games so far apart from the losses to Weston and Hemel and a good draw at Eastbourne.

Who knows what would have happened in those games, especially the Hemel and Eastbourne games which were close encounters but if we added an experienced quality player to those line ups we could well have had a couple more wins under our belt.

As for leaving a player out, the only player I wouldn't leave out is Ochieng because he not only looks a quality player but he's a completely different type of player to what we already have.   

So we have gone from him being "our best player" to our best midfielder, which also give weight to my comments about Baylis, Henry and David from earlier in the thread. 

The output and work rate from Gilbert is better already than Lench over past 18 months already. Thus I assume you would be leaving out Leon, who has been excellent thus far and IMO, has done the box to box role better than Lench did it. This is where I say about the fans "rose-tints" as you would pick him because he is Matt Lench, not because he is better than the other players.

10 minutes ago, SloughFlyer said:

So we have gone from him being "our best player" to our best midfielder, which also give weight to my comments about Baylis, Henry and David from earlier in the thread. 

The output and work rate from Gilbert is better already than Lench over past 18 months already. Thus I assume you would be leaving out Leon, who has been excellent thus far and IMO, has done the box to box role better than Lench did it. This is where I say about the fans "rose-tints" as you would pick him because he is Matt Lench, not because he is better than the other players.

Have to agree as I’d put John, Leon and Henry ahead of Matt. All 3 have been excellent so far. I would have certainly kept Matt as he still had enough quality and would have added to our squad strength. Can only presume it’s not a footballing matter and if so it’s very unlikely we’ll find out the truth. Very unfortunate way to bow out after such long service…

48 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Have to agree as I’d put John, Leon and Henry ahead of Matt. All 3 have been excellent so far. I would have certainly kept Matt as he still had enough quality and would have added to our squad strength. Can only presume it’s not a footballing matter and if so it’s very unlikely we’ll find out the truth. Very unfortunate way to bow out after such long service…

Agree with all of that Glen. I also wonder if it may, as some have mentioned (but for a slightly different reason) been a budget issue. Not on the actual finances, but more so I would imagine Lench was pretty well paid and a higher earner in the team and for the #4 midfielder and probably a sub would have been expensive.

8 minutes ago, SloughFlyer said:

Agree with all of that Glen. I also wonder if it may, as some have mentioned (but for a slightly different reason) been a budget issue. Not on the actual finances, but more so I would imagine Lench was pretty well paid and a higher earner in the team and for the #4 midfielder and probably a sub would have been expensive.

Scott does mention often that he needs to balance the books etc. so yes could well be and I guess if we don’t sign a replacement this may strengthen that argument. I still think we need another defensive player but that’s another can of worms!!!

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Scott does mention often that he needs to balance the books etc. so yes could well be and I guess if we don’t sign a replacement this may strengthen that argument. I still think we need another defensive player but that’s another can of worms!!!

I agree, specifically a left back as a starting point. Will be interesting as there is obviously nothing for today and with the FA Cup next week and cup tied players, I doubt we'll see anything until the week later if we do.