Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town V Peterborough Sports

17 hours ago, No bull Towner said:

Gates dropped yesterday so if this was a protest then it is counter productive; less gate money means less revenue to pay/attract players. Players want to play to decent crowds and be paid decent money. To bring in 3-4 decent step 2 players would cost upwards of £3k a week so is this sustainable to the club? The likes of Hornchurch were already running a superior team last season expecting to go up and thus walked the league. We were not expecting to go up and had not spent a season or two preparing and funding for the step up. That is why we are where we are. You can't expect an average step 3 team, and that is what we are (we weren't head and shoulders above the rest) to be an average middle of the table step 2 team without significant planning, preparation and budget. I don't think anyone was prepared for the miracle that was pulled off in the play offs and there will have been a few on the board and in the know who will have been thinking 'oh good Lord now what do we do?'. This new league is unforgiving and finds you out and sadly we are trying to play catch up but turning on the club, players and management won't change the situation. After all, would you want to keep giving your all to fans who walk away at the end of a match without the usual show of support or just don't turn up at all? We don't need a blame culture we need to rally!

I find myself agreeing near enough completely with this post NBT, the only thing I'd change is I think that we were a slightly better than average step 3 team last season, who were very well managed, but it definitely was a minor miracle to get promotion. The comment about Hornchurch is bang on as well - they really were a very good step 3 side last season, and deservedly won the league at a canter - I'm sure they've have made a few additions too, which is allowing them to get the points they need this season to get a foothold at step 2. I feel that we were somewhat blindsided by the promotion, and have really been playing catch up since, compounded by the loss of 3 important players from last season, a couple of injuries and what looked to be a very tricky start to this campaign. We also just don't have the option to throw a load of money at the problem like some other clubs might be able to - ultimately money talks and the better players are going to go (have gone) to clubs that can offer them more, and potentially put them on a contract. Our best hope is probably to unearth a couple of gems, and I think Leonard is a decent example of that - he might not be a standout player at this level, but he hasn't looked out of place from what I've seen/heard.

Some people are saying that we were totally reliant on Marcus last season, and he's the only reason we went up, but I don't think that's the case, yes he had a great season but in the most part we played well as a team, and I think a lot of good strikers would have scored goals for us. I'm not convinced that we'd be much better off this term if we still had him in the side - I suspect that we'd all be bemoaning the complete lack of service he was getting, as sides are winning battles against us all over the pitch, which means that he just wouldn't see enough ball to do anything to change a game. To question what Gavin and the management team did last season I think is unfair - we've seen what a hard league it is to get out of, and he managed it at the first time of asking and that should not be underestimated. I can't help but think he's a victim of his own success this season - a narrow play off loss at the end of last term and another 12 months to develop the squad at step 3 might have been better all round, for us, him and the club. Granted we'd have been gutted to lose to Chatham, but with hindsight would we rather be in the top 5 at step 3, or where we are currently?

One thing where I maybe differ from some people is that I want to get behind the team and the management probably more at the moment than at any point in the clubs history. Given our start to the season and league position we're massive underdogs in pretty much every game we play (the bookies agree, and they're rarely wrong), so when we do get that elusive next win (and it will come), it's going to be all the sweeter, and I really hope I'm there to celebrate it with the players and the management. Looking to blame someone for our predicament isn't the right way to approach this, as it's nobody's fault - we can't point at the players, the management or the board and say that they've done much wrong in my view. There have been a couple of games this season where we've got close to getting something and that still gives me a glimmer of hope. Do I think we've got a chance of surviving this season? Unlikely, but not impossible - but wholesale change at this point in the season, when we have (I think) our best management team in the clubs history in charge, without a load of money to throw at a new management team and squad is more likely to hasten our passage back to step 3 than it is to see us climbing the table.

Hoping to be at the Bath game next weekend if I can juggle some family commitments and the stars align, am I expecting anything from it? Probably not. Is it going to be a fun away day where I can see a new ground/town, and where I'll back the team 100% irrespective of whether we lose draw or win? Of course!

Looking at Step 2 - the players, grounds etc, I'd say we're probably 5-10 years away from being able to properly establish ourselves at that level. Its one thing getting there, but its only then you realise the kind of financing and infrastructure it requires to hold your own. If we can continue to grow steadily, then I don't see why we can't become an established Step 2 club in due course. Of course its frustrating that we can't automatically adapt, but that's our lot as a fans-owned club. The most important thing is that we continue to grow and provide top level non-league football in the borough. I guess we wouldn't appreciate the highs without the lows! Besides, we will hopefully have a shiny new stand by the end of this season regardless of results on the pitch!

A family commitment meant I missed the Cup game on Saturday but some good posts here.

Those calling for a managerial change are way out of order in my mind. Gavin and his team did wonders last season and I think the post about promotion coming a year too early is spot on. This season he's had to deal with a number of setbacks including a heavily disrupted pre-season (losing half of our "spine" just 2 weeks before the season started), a tough start, two confidence-shattering injury time losses in the space of 4 days and, most recently, squad upheaval. 

I haven't researched but suspect at least a third of the teams in Conference south are full-time, putting us at a heavy disadvantage from day one (how they make money I don't know). You only need to look at Bishop's Stortford to see how big the gap is. They were a very strong team 2 years ago when they won the league and were promoted to Conference North. I knew they struggled 2023-2024 and just checked: they finished 24th (bottom) with a record of W:6 D:3 L:37 GF:35 GA:112 Points: 21. Says it all.

I cackled when I read somebody's post a couple of weeks ago about whoever gets promoted into Conference North or South via the play-offs, needing a temporary wheel-in stand to meet ground grading requirements. The way the gap is growing, I think there's a valid argument 🤣

Out of curiosity (and because we know our Amber Friend likes the odd contribution), Cheshunt finished 23rd (second from bottom) in NLS 2022-2023 with a record of W:11 D:10 L:25 GF:48 GA:74 Points: 43. Dulwich were relegated on goal difference on the last day with 48 points.

I think we'll do well to match (or beat) Cheshunt's record.

11 minutes ago, Benjrider10 said:

Out of curiosity (and because we know our Amber Friend likes the odd contribution), Cheshunt finished 23rd (second from bottom) in NLS 2022-2023 with a record of W:11 D:10 L:25 GF:48 GA:74 Points: 43. Dulwich were relegated on goal difference on the last day with 48 points.

I think we'll do well to match (or beat) Cheshunt's record.

Yep, I worked out we'd probably need 50 points to survive. Still hoping for some kind of miracle!

Worst performances over a season in the national league south was  Dover last season only 4 wins and fisher athletic in 08/09 season who finished with 18 points 34 defeats and 22 goals scored , hopefully we can better both those teams

Edited by Rebel without a clue

I must say that I have never read so many eclectic views over the years I have been involved in the Forum.

But it seems to me, as a paid up member of the club, that there are some basic answers for us to have before we are able to work our way out of our problems.  

A few weeks ago I did ask whether Marcus was still under contract at the time of his transfer and if so how long did it have to run. Obviously must have been as who would pay a fee for a non contracted player. If it had another season to run I would have hoped that, with his previous seasons record, the fee was fairly reasonable.  Especially as both parties, possibly for fiscal reasons, declined to declare it.

So question 1,  If it was substantially relevant at the level we play at, what is it being used for?

2, Was it really in the clubs interest to sell our most valuable playing asset before the season had started? 

3. Have the league specified that that we need a 400 seated new stand. In other words what is the is the minimal requirements?

Of course as for the playing squad that is a far  bigger question question which has to be faced!!!

Edited by 4wembleyfinals
Amendments

51 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

I must say that I have never read so many eclectic views over the years I have been involved in the Forum.

But it seems to me, as a paid up member of the club, that there are some basic answers for us to have before we are able to work our way out of our problems.  

A few weeks ago I did ask whether Marcus was still under contract at the time of his transfer and if so how long did it have to run. Obviously must have been as who would pay a fee for a non contracted player. If it had another season to run I would have hoped that, with his previous seasons record, the fee was fairly reasonable.  Especially as both parties, possibly for fiscal reasons, declined to declare it.

So question 1,  If it was substantially relevant at the level we play at, what is it being used for?

2, Was it really in the clubs interest to sell our most valuable playing asset before the season had started? 

3. Have the league specified that that we need a 400 seated new stand. In other words what is the is the minimal requirements?

Of course as for the playing squad that is a far  bigger question question which has to be faced!!!

I have no first-hand knowledge and am not part of the Club's (infamous) Inner Circle. Chat on the Gillingham Fans Forum suggested that having activated the additional year option in Marcus's contract, clubs who approached Town earlier in the summer had been quoted £20k to take him off our hands. The consensus was that this is roughly what was paid.

I can't see how we could hold on to a player and deny him the opportunity to play full-time EFL football. If nothing else, surely it would dissuade other ambitious young players from coming to us - and signing a contract - in the future.

Of the 3 'stand options' we have opted for the middle one - which would allow Town to take part in the NLS play-offs. So we are going above and beyond the minimum league requirements, but most of it is funded by the grant which is available.

1 hour ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

I don't believe 400 seats are mandatory but we did have to increase covered seating. I think it was decided that 400 and reusing the current stand was the best value. We had to have more turnstiles too. Not sure on everything but I'm sure someone will be able to chip in.

There would have been a reasonable fee for Marcus but how reasonable is unknown. Should we have let him go? Debatable, but holding a player back from such an opportunity does not make for a happy team dynamic so I suspect if he wanted to go it was probably the best outcome to get something for him. If we pluck a figure from the air of £40k, and I doubt we got anywhere near that, then that would only give £1k a week increase in player budget this season. With decent strikers commanding approx £6/7/800 pw if not more then it's easy to see where that money will go. However, like I said I doubt we will have got anywhere near that so if we even got half that then we can't even fund one higher level player never mind more for the season. My figures might well be way out but you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. Marcus' fee doesn't buy very much for very long and this could well be half the problem. We need to attract the players that are used to probably getting full time football on full time money but for part time football on part time money. The decent part time players are still quite likely out of our price range. This is why it is more important than ever to get bums on seats to generate as much as possible to have a budget that can pay the type of wages that are required. I understand that losing doesn't increase or maintain new interest for long so I hope we can get some good results soon. Until then I will continue to buy my ticket, whether I can attend or not, to do just a little bit more, cross my fingers and pray just a little bit harder that the miracle of last season can be repeated in us staying up this season. COYT

*** edit.... mine took so long to type that a much better answer has already been posted above 

Edited by No bull Towner

Not much more to add to the above, other than I agree it was the correct decision not to hold Marcus back - obviously I'd have loved to have kept him, and seen him leading the line and scoring goals this season, but as soon as a player makes the decision that they want to play higher up, and there's an offer of full time football on the table, then I don't think we should stand in his way. Ultimately, Marcus showed a lot of loyalty, both in his first season where he was used as a bit part player, and got his head down and stayed with the club, and in his second season where he was outstanding when finally given a chance, and played a major part in our promotion. I'm sure there were more than a few clubs watching him towards the back end of last season, but he stayed focused for Town, and helped us achieve what we did. I'd finally add that the club deserve a great deal of credit for putting him on a contract, so that we received a transfer fee for him - I suspect that there's significant risk in doing that if things don't turn out well, and a player ends up picking up money whilst not getting in the side.

As usual FJ the brevity of your post contains a question much consideration.

I fully appreciate the content of the various replies to my earlier posts. Although I do appreciate the content and opinions given like mine are based on assumptions.  In raising my questions I was thinking purely from a commercial point of view. Especially with regard to a smooth transfer into a higher league and sustainment of gate revenue.

I am probably wrong but listening to some of Gavin's remarks, in recent interviews, I got the impression that he sounded a bit surprised at the timing of Marcus' Transfer ie before the season had even begun.

That said we all know what is now. So we can only hope that we will soon turn things around. We have done it before and have quite been good at it.

Next Saturday would be a good day to start. 

It doesn’t matter who we buy up front they will look ordinary with the ball flying at their head…... .. a season ticket holder at Col utd said Folivi was an excellent signing who was impressive in league football… two levels lower he can’t get a chance and leaves…. If someone of his quality goes we are in trouble…..

8 minutes ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

a season ticket holder at Col utd said Folivi was an excellent signing who was impressive in league football

He's now 26 and has flitted around clubs in the NLS without establishing himself at this level. Whilst the service he received at ETFC wasn't the greatest, I'm not sure anyone would be able to claim it was the same for him at Hemel, Farnborough or Chelmsford. I'd therefore respectfully disagree with the Colchester fan you spoke to (who only would've seen him a handful of times a few years back).