Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town V Peterborough Sports

The annoying thing about losing again today was that our opponents weren’t particularly good , if we are going to rely on ottaway to score goals for us we are in serious trouble his best days are well and truly behind him, it is becoming obvious that some of the players from last season that are still with us are clearly not up to the task and difficult decision's are going to have to be made, Reece again was mom today, speaks volumes. 

4 minutes ago, Rebel without a clue said:

Reece again was mom today, speaks volumes. 

I'm fairly sure Rhys will be receiving some very good offers from Step 1 & 2 clubs very soon (if not already), so assuming he wants to progress his football career, we may not be able to hang on to him this season. Not convinced that Adi is half as good as Rhys.

30 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

It is worrying that Reece was man of the match. 

Why is it worrying that Rhys got MOTM? Are keepers not entitled to be recognised for playing well? Is that accolade reserved just for goal scorers? Yes we need more players to be making an impact and having stand out performances but we shouldn't be diminishing Rhys' performance just because we haven't scored goals (especially as has already been said that he will likely be getting offers, so valuing him would be better in my opinion). He has stopped most games becoming cricket scores and it is poor defending and errors that has led to what must be for him a very disheartening goals conceded tally.

47 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

I'm fairly sure Rhys will be receiving some very good offers from Step 1 & 2 clubs very soon (if not already), so assuming he wants to progress his football career, we may not be able to hang on to him this season. Not convinced that Adi is half as good as Rhys.

Finally something we can agree on. Adi has several years of gaining experience to go before he would be capable of being a stable step 3 keeper never mind step 2. Let's hope Gav doesn't have to start trying to find a new keeper and Rhys stays and weathers the storm for us 

8 hours ago, No bull Towner said:

Why is it worrying that Rhys got MOTM? Are keepers not entitled to be recognised for playing well? Is that accolade reserved just for goal scorers? Yes we need more players to be making an impact and having stand out performances but we shouldn't be diminishing Rhys' performance just because we haven't scored goals (especially as has already been said that he will likely be getting offers, so valuing him would be better in my opinion). He has stopped most games becoming cricket scores and it is poor defending and errors that has led to what must be for him a very disheartening goals conceded tally.

If your goalie is your regular man of the match then it's generally because the ball is down the wrong end of the pitch too much, always a worrying sign. 

I thought there were some half decent performances yesterday, Joe Payne in particular.

But again a goal from a defensive mistake, and their 23 being smart enough to "win" a pen. Players at this level seem to know how to "earn" fouls out of nothing. Something our lads could do well to learn.

Some promising moments in the 2nd half but it's certainly going to be a long season. One disappointment for me is that Sam Youngs is struggling. Either not up to this level or lacking confidence, or maybe it's an age thing but the games seem to pass him by. If he comes good and plays to his ability then that'll do our midfield the world of good.

Edited by symptomless

3 hours ago, symptomless said:

If your goalie is your regular man of the match then it's generally because the ball is down the wrong end of the pitch too much, always a worrying sign. 

I thought there were some half decent performances yesterday, Joe Payne in particular.

But again a goal from a defensive mistake, and their 23 being smart enough to "win" a pen. Players at this level seem to know how to "earn" fouls out of nothing. Something our lads could do well to learn.

Some promising moments in the 2nd half but it's certainly going to be a long season. One disappointment for me is that Sam Youngs is struggling. Either not up to this level or lacking confidence, or maybe it's an age thing but the games seem to pass him by. If he comes good and plays to his ability then that'll do our midfield the world of good.

My point exactly regarding MOM. 

Not at the game so difficult to comment but from what I read a frustrating afternoon.

Not the time for a managerial change in my view - Gav deserves time to put things right after such a great season last year (our most successful season ever) and a disrupted pre-season ... a further 7 losses from the next 8 league games and the view may become different .. 

His post-match interview shows he is still looking for players and he has consistently changed the personnel each week. He changed the formation yesterday, so he is not resting on his laurels. Unfortunate that 2 of his latest signings were both unavailable yesterday ..

Do want to see a more attacking approach at home - I read we were sitting very deep yesterday ..

Forward wise haven't been that impressed with Favioli or Kasimu - but we are now very light - strange that according to Gav RBR "made himself unavailable" yesterday - is he planning to leave or just very unfortunate timing? Seems strange we did not bring back Nana yesterday from Walton when we only had 1 striker in the squad .. and he scored for them against a step 2 side!

Concerned but not panicking at this stage - but we do need to start picking up points quickly already being 6 adrift - and Weymouth beating Dorking last week whilst St Albans got a confidence boosting cup win this week.

Looking at Stortford and Cheshunt, promotion ultimately set them back - so we need to do all we can to stay up ..

Having looked at Gavin's post match interviews for the Met Police a few seasons back they do look remarkably similar to his current interviews with the Town. Individual errors cost us the game/ players still working hard /We had chances to get something out of the game. etc.

I still have faith in the manager and like the way he conducts himself and the professional approach to games and the club in general, but am beginning to have slight concerns that his only real impact so far was in developing Marcus Wylie from an under used winger to a goalscoring centre forward.

Some are saying we are not good or strong enough for this level. Currently that is true, but the side that won the play-off final 3-0 would have been good enough for mid-table this season. The trick was to replace Wylie with a forward who could actually score and pose some sort of a threat upfront at this level and gently strengthen the squad both in quality and depth. The scatter gun approach of bringing in journeymen players who have played (and been released) at this level has not improved the quality of the squad and has had the negative effect of disrupting any sense of a settled starting 11 or settled style of play or formation.

Gavin and his management team have got a hell of a task to turn this around in order to avoid relegation this season. The attendance yesterday is also indicating that the increase in admission price and the poor entertainment value we are currently offering is also starting to have an effect on revenue.

Edited by lovely stuff

Last season wasn't plain sailing, I don't think we really got started until Wingate away at the end of October. Lots of defensive errors, shipping goals and a few shocking results till we got into our rhythm. 

A different challenge this year but until we get a settled first 11 that's up for that challenge and players consistently at the top of their form we're going to struggle. 

2 hours ago, lovely stuff said:

Some are saying we are not good or strong enough for this level. Currently that is true, but the side that won the play-off final 3-0 would have been good enough for mid-table this season. The trick was to replace Wylie with a forward who could actually score and pose some sort of a threat upfront at this level and gently strengthen the squad both in quality and depth.

The problem is that the squad/team is actually weaker this season. Marcus gone - no vaguely comparable replacement. Cass gone - Ottaway is probably the closest we have to a replacement, but I'd rather have Jake, I think. The midfield is also much weaker this season - with Manny Harvest excelling at Hornchurch, while Lashabela, Thomas, Youngs and Krasniqi have looked short of the task at hand. The fact that the management team couldn't attract better recruits in midfield and attack after making the step up is not only unexpected, but also a worry.

it’s no surprise that the strikers we brought in have failed to shine… it’s because we don’t create anything for them… Sam’s goal scoring last season played a high part in our success but against stronger defenders he will not repeat that so frankly he is wasted playing so high up the field….  i can totally understand the support for the manager after last season but we need to realise this could be our only chance for a long while to progress… we are up and need to stay there …if this continues for the next month we will be down before winter …gates will drop and all the good work will be undone…. 

30 minutes ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

it’s no surprise that the strikers we brought in have failed to shine… it’s because we don’t create anything for them… Sam’s goal scoring last season played a high part in our success but against stronger defenders he will not repeat that so frankly he is wasted playing so high up the field….  i can totally understand the support for the manager after last season but we need to realise this could be our only chance for a long while to progress… we are up and need to stay there …if this continues for the next month we will be down before winter …gates will drop and all the good work will be undone…. 

Gates dropped yesterday so if this was a protest then it is counter productive; less gate money means less revenue to pay/attract players. Players want to play to decent crowds and be paid decent money. To bring in 3-4 decent step 2 players would cost upwards of £3k a week so is this sustainable to the club? The likes of Hornchurch were already running a superior team last season expecting to go up and thus walked the league. We were not expecting to go up and had not spent a season or two preparing and funding for the step up. That is why we are where we are. You can't expect an average step 3 team, and that is what we are (we weren't head and shoulders above the rest) to be an average middle of the table step 2 team without significant planning, preparation and budget. I don't think anyone was prepared for the miracle that was pulled off in the play offs and there will have been a few on the board and in the know who will have been thinking 'oh good Lord now what do we do?'. This new league is unforgiving and finds you out and sadly we are trying to play catch up but turning on the club, players and management won't change the situation. After all, would you want to keep giving your all to fans who walk away at the end of a match without the usual show of support or just don't turn up at all? We don't need a blame culture we need to rally!

Agree with most of what you put No Bull i’m sure there were reservations about going up but i as for the crowds success was bound to bring in extra supporters but that will obviously drop away once that success  fades….it’s human nature… what we will be left with were the hardcore like myself that go rain or shine….  but at the end of the day loyalty means nothing in football it never has and if a player or manager gets a better offer they are off… if we think a change of direction is needed then do it  because we are where we are and as soon as we start thinking like a NLS side the better….

1 hour ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

Agree with most of what you put No Bull i’m sure there were reservations about going up but i as for the crowds success was bound to bring in extra supporters but that will obviously drop away once that success  fades….it’s human nature… what we will be left with were the hardcore like myself that go rain or shine….  but at the end of the day loyalty means nothing in football it never has and if a player or manager gets a better offer they are off… if we think a change of direction is needed then do it  because we are where we are and as soon as we start thinking like a NLS side the better….

We best get in a money man then to push the club forward as no crowds mean no money and no money means no top players or managers. People are already moaning about the ticket price going up but don't consider the running costs going up. Won't be sustainable staying fan owned unless fans are prepared to have deeper pockets...just my opinion. If we want cheap everything that is what we'll have and it appears we have champagne ideals on a shandy budget

3 hours ago, No bull Towner said:

Gates dropped yesterday so if this was a protest then it is counter productive; less gate money means less revenue to pay/attract players. Players want to play to decent crowds and be paid decent money. To bring in 3-4 decent step 2 players would cost upwards of £3k a week so is this sustainable to the club? The likes of Hornchurch were already running a superior team last season expecting to go up and thus walked the league. We were not expecting to go up and had not spent a season or two preparing and funding for the step up. That is why we are where we are. You can't expect an average step 3 team, and that is what we are (we weren't head and shoulders above the rest) to be an average middle of the table step 2 team without significant planning, preparation and budget. I don't think anyone was prepared for the miracle that was pulled off in the play offs and there will have been a few on the board and in the know who will have been thinking 'oh good Lord now what do we do?'. This new league is unforgiving and finds you out and sadly we are trying to play catch up but turning on the club, players and management won't change the situation. After all, would you want to keep giving your all to fans who walk away at the end of a match without the usual show of support or just don't turn up at all? We don't need a blame culture we need to rally!

Can i ask if you are a friend/ relative of one of the current management team? With each new manager we normally have a new poster or two who joins up. They normally post regularly for a season or two (always backing the manager and subtly criticising the club and fans), then disappear once the current manager leaves. Let me apologise if i'm barking up the wrong tree.

4 minutes ago, lovely stuff said:

Can i ask if you are a friend/ relative of one of the current management team? With each new manager we normally have a new poster or two who joins up. They normally post regularly for a season or two (always backing the manager and subtly criticising the club and fans), then disappear once the current manager leaves. Let me apologise if i'm barking up the wrong tree.

Absolutely not....I only recently came across the forum.  I'll stop commenting and keep my opinions to myself as obviously causing offence 

Edited by No bull Towner