Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Cup 2nd Round Qualifying Draw

.

Edited by Reading Rebel

5 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Is this countrified and pretty enough for you Glen.

I'm assuming this is their current and not their old ground.

Away Days Guide – Whitehawk FC – Ewe Tea Bee

Not quite the step 5/6 team but it’s less than an hour and a half from me so that’s good plus a new ground in a pleasant city that’s just minutes from the city centre.

2 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Not quite the step 5/6 team but it’s less than an hour and a half from me so that’s good plus a new ground in a pleasant city that’s just minutes from the city centre.

I've deleted it because I'm not sure I've got the right ground 😁

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

It's nonsense to say that reaching the 3rd round is unrealistic simply because we're at step 2.

We have never made it to the Third Round, the furthest we have ever made it to is the Second Round. The Third Round is when the Premier League & Championship clubs come in.

I've got a feeling that we hold a competition record in most second round appearances without ever having made the 3rd round. Seven second round appearances in total across the clubs history - 1970/71 (Barnet (h) 0-1), 1982/83 (Bishops Stortford (h) 1-4), 1985/86 (Orient (h) 2-3 in a replay having drawn 2-2 at Orient), 1986/87 (Swansea (a) 3-0), 2004/05 (Yeading (h) 1-3), 2017/18 (Rochdale (h) 0-4), 2018/19 (Gillingham (h) 0-1)

They're still asleep in Chichester,  nothing on their Twitter page about the tie yet...

1 hour ago, GarySTFC said:

I've got a feeling that we hold a competition record in most second round appearances without ever having made the 3rd round. Seven second round appearances in total across the clubs history - 1970/71 (Barnet (h) 0-1), 1982/83 (Bishops Stortford (h) 1-4), 1985/86 (Orient (h) 2-3 in a replay having drawn 2-2 at Orient), 1986/87 (Swansea (a) 3-0), 2004/05 (Yeading (h) 1-3), 2017/18 (Rochdale (h) 0-4), 2018/19 (Gillingham (h) 0-1)

Actually eight times. Missed out on Yeovil (a) 1-0 in 79/80. FA Cup Factfile on Twitter rightly corrected me and confirmed it is indeed a current "record"

3 hours ago, Curtis said:

We have never made it to the Third Round, the furthest we have ever made it to is the Second Round. The Third Round is when the Premier League & Championship clubs come in.

There's a first time for everything; why is it unrealistic to believe that it could be ours this year? And I'm sure we're all aware of how the FA Cup works; I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here?

My point(s) were that to get to the 3rd round we need to get through 5 rounds and we've actually managed this several times, and that there have been many times where clubs from step 2 or lower have made the 3rd round. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Chasetown - 3rd round in 2007/08 from step 4.
Marine - 3rd round in 1992/93 from step 2 & 2020/21 from step 4
Marlow - 3rd round in 1992/93 from step 2
Havant & Waterlooville - 4th round in 2007/08 from step 2.
Maidstone United - 5th round last season from step 2 (like you said)
Woking - 3rd round in 2018/19 from step 2.
Kidderminster Harriers - 4th round in 2020/21 from step 2.
Yeading - 3rd round in 2004/05 from step 3 (in case we'd forgotten!)

I'm sure there must be more examples (I'm not going to peruse the FCHD looking for them!).

4 minutes ago, Nathan said:

There's a first time for everything; why is it unrealistic to believe that it could be ours this year?

Fair enough, the Club was founded in 1890 & has never made it to the 3rd Round of the FA Cup, but it is not unrealistic to expect us to achieve it this season.

On 02/09/2024 at 15:43, Rebellier said:

They're still asleep in Chichester,  nothing on their Twitter page about the tie yet...

Still snoozing...!