Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Cup 2nd Round Qualifying Draw

7 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

They’re rubbish now so it wouldn’t be so bad!

I’m hoping for an away tie to a step 5 or 6 side based in a pretty town or village I’ve not visited that’s an easy car or train journey within an hour and a half.

You say this every year,  it never happens for us!

Chippenham at home incoming...

1 hour ago, Rebellier said:

You say this every year,  it never happens for us!

Chippenham at home incoming...

I know, surely one year my dream will come true… then we’ll lose!

Just now, GlenSTFC said:

I know, surely one year my dream will come true… then we’ll lose!

Now then, do we really want an FA Cup run and ruin our promotion bid??? 

I think it will always be a dream to one season make it all the way through to the 3rd Round, but probably unrealistic while we are at our current level…. although it was achieved by Maidstone last season & Kidderminster a few seasons back.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

I think it will always be a dream to one season make it all the way through to the 3rd Round, but probably unrealistic while we are at our current level…. although it was achieved by Maidstone last season & Kidderminster a few seasons back.

Morning Curtis.

While I totally agree with you that it is unrealistic to think that we will reach the FA Cup 3rd Round, I don't really see what relevance our current level has to do with it.

There are only 24 non-league teams in the country playing at a higher level than ourselves.

I would not be surprised at all if at least one non-league team from below the National League makes it to the 3rd Round Proper.

I can easily remember teams in the past like Blyth Spartans, Harlow Town, Leatherhead, Hereford and even flippin' Bishops Stortford  and Yeading getting to that stage of the Cup, when the difference in standard between non-league and the bottom two League Divisions was in my opinion way, way greater than it is now.

Yes. it would be extremely unlikely ( and a dream ),for us to get that far in the competition, but I don't think our "level" will have  anything to do with it. 

That's the beauty of the Cup in my eyes.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

26 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Morning Curtis.

While I totally agree with you that it is unrealistic to think that we will reach the FA Cup 3rd Round, I don't really see what relevance our current level has to do with it.

There are only 24 non-league teams in the country playing at a higher level than ourselves.

Morning Holyport,

At our level we enter the FA Cup today at the Second Qualifying Round, and will need to win our way through five rounds to get to the Third Round, so will probably need to get five favourable draws or very good performances.*

If we were one level higher we would enter at the Fourth Qualifying Round & only need to win our way through three rounds to make the Third Round.

* A Premier League or Championship club winning through five rounds would put them in the Final.

9 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Morning Curtis.

I would not be surprised at all if at least one non-league team from below the National League makes it to the 3rd Round Proper.

I can easily remember teams in the past like Blyth Spartans, Harlow Town, Leatherhead, Hereford and even flippin' Bishops Stortford  and Yeading getting to that stage of the Cup, when the difference in standard between non-league and the bottom two League Divisions was in my opinion way, way greater than it is now.

Yes. it would be extremely unlikely ( and a dream ),for us to get that far in the competition, but I don't think our "level" will have  anything to do with it. 

That's the beauty of the Cup in my eyes.

I agree.

I'd say it's nothing to do with the level we play at but more to do with the stage we are at as a team/squad.

We've had a fantastic start to the season and we're all enjoying the moment but realistically we're a team that's in it's early stages of development.

On our day we have the players who are capable of springing a few surprises against the bigger clubs but at this moment in time I don't expect us to go deep into the competition.

But then again we can all dream 😅

Edited by Reading Rebel

It's nonsense to say that reaching the 3rd round is unrealistic simply because we're at step 2. To do this we need to get through 5 rounds, and we've managed this several times during my time supporting the Rebels (2002/03, 2004/05, 2012/13 & 2017/18 off the top of my head).

Chasetown made the 3rd round in 2007/08 when playing at step 4; they started in the Preliminary Round and made it through 7 rounds.

Just because it's improbable doesn't make it unrealistic! We can all dream can't we? And I hope Scotty & the team don't take the "it's unrealistic" attitude, otherwise what's the point in entering?

Edited by Nathan