Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players signed, retained, left the club

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Markskelton said:

How long has Oscar Lucey been in the first team section on the website? I know he was on loan at Thame last season from the Eds but it looks like he has made the step up?

Although both Oscar and Kai are still in our squad section I'm not sure they are included as part of our squad for next season.

If they are then I would think they will be registered and sent out on loan as per last season.

Edited by Reading Rebel

27 minutes ago, Markskelton said:

It is good that Slough have 4 players lined up to come to the club but after last seasons great progress it sounds like Slough have gone backwards financially and yet again haven't much money to recruit experienced NLS players. Not the end of the world,of course but very optimistic to think we will get anywhere near the play offs.

Scott and his management team will obviously try their best to drum up some comraderie and fighting spirit and try to knit together what's left of last seasons squad with these new additions but it must be demoralising on last seasons efforts, to have to rebuild again from what was quite a strong squad last time around.  

The report say's the 4 players are all from step 3 and will be announced over the coming week with 1 to be announced this weekend.

Of course it's disappointing that none are from at least step 2 but gems can be found at all levels it's just that bit more difficult and more of a long shot to expect all 4 will be good enough for this level.

I have to say with the club trying to promote it's discounted season tickets before today's deadline it's a bit disappointing to find out this information via the media first.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

It is good that Slough have 4 players lined up to come to the club but after last seasons great progress it sounds like Slough have gone backwards financially and yet again haven't much money to recruit experienced NLS players. Not the end of the world,of course but very optimistic to think we will get anywhere near the play offs.

Scott and his management team will obviously try their best to drum up some comraderie and fighting spirit and try to knit together what's left of last seasons squad with these new additions but it must be demoralising on last seasons efforts, to have to rebuild again from what was quite a strong squad last time around.  

Financially backwards or Scott has found it more difficult to find the right players to fit in with the club/squad ethos with our playing budget.

Edited by Reading Rebel

6 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Financially backwards or Scott has found it more difficult to find the right players to fit in with the club/squad ethos with our playing budget.

I would imagine Scott feels like 'he's in a boxing ring with one hand tied behind his back' being manager at Slough Town FC currently.

As you know RR, I'm not as bothered as some Slough fans are about trying to achieve promotion to the National Premier. I just like to see Slough have a reasonable chance of upsetting the odds against fully funded teams in whatever division Slough are in.

Without seeing who our four new additions are going to be, it does looks like strengthening Slough's squad this season [according to the report in the Maidenhead Advertiser] looks like very low priority to Slough's newish owners. Doesn't mean Slough can't have a decent season but claims of a play off place looks remote at best.

21 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

I would imagine Scott feels like 'he's in a boxing ring with one hand tied behind his back' being manager at Slough Town FC currently.

As you know RR, I'm not as bothered as some Slough fans are about trying to achieve promotion to the National Premier. I just like to see Slough have a reasonable chance of upsetting the odds against fully funded teams in whatever division Slough are in.

Without seeing who our four new additions are going to be, it does looks like strengthening Slough's squad this season [according to the report in the Maidenhead Advertiser] looks like very low priority to Slough's newish owners. Doesn't mean Slough can't have a decent season but claims of a play off place looks remote at best.

The players that have left would have been among our top earners and I'm sure Scott and the owners would not have wanted them to go.

In theory this should leave a decent budget or at least similar to last season for Scott to work with so I'm not sure on the one hand tied behind his back analogy.

As for our owners priority next season, I think it's pretty clear from what was said at the FF that progress from last season, although not a must, is certainly something they would like to see.  

It isn’t the clubs fault that the paper have announced it. The paper called me asked to do an interview and I chose to fill them in on the blanks, probably from a place of frustration where it’s been quiet, and people are probably thinking that I’m sat on a beach somewhere sipping a cocktail, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

I wanted to get something out there to hopefully add some positivity to what’s been a tough and unexpected summer so far. 4 new signings will be in tomorrow with a possible two more on the way in the next week (I hope).

Some clubs have been very busy, not many, but some have been extremely quiet in what’s been a slow summer for the majority of managers I’ve spoken to.

The guys that run our social media are incredible people but are extremely busy with work and family, so sometimes  working with the local paper and having a good relationship can take the pressure off others, like in this situation.

Hope that explains it.

Scotty.

12 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

It isn’t the clubs fault that the paper have announced it. The paper called me asked to do an interview and I chose to fill them in on the blanks, probably from a place of frustration where it’s been quiet, and people are probably thinking that I’m sat on a beach somewhere sipping a cocktail, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

I wanted to get something out there to hopefully add some positivity to what’s been a tough and unexpected summer so far. 4 new signings will be in tomorrow with a possible two more on the way in the next week (I hope).

Some clubs have been very busy, not many, but some have been extremely quiet in what’s been a slow summer for the majority of managers I’ve spoken to.

The guys that run our social media are incredible people but are extremely busy with work and family, so sometimes  working with the local paper and having a good relationship can take the pressure off others, like in this situation.

Hope that explains it.

Scotty.

Hi Scott, great to hear about new signings a lot of people on here will  be glad to read your post. I’ve been a Slough Fan for over 40 years seen the highs and lows and the rock bottom but since you’ve taken over I know we are on the up and progress is being made and we will have a great squad for the new season ahead . Good luck for the season and sipping cocktails on a beach isn’t what it’s cracked up to be 😂😂

13 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

The players that have left would have been among our top earners and I'm sure Scott and the owners would not have wanted them to go.

In theory this should leave a decent budget or at least similar to last season for Scott to work with so I'm not sure on the one hand tied behind his back analogy.

As for our owners priority next season, I think it's pretty clear from what was said at the FF that progress from last season, although not a must, is certainly something they would like to see.  

What is 'said' and what is 'done' are two separate things.

RR,I wasn't at the fans forum to know what was said. 

Signing four players from step 3 to replace the four already gone is hardly awe-inspiring though, is it?

I was hoping for at least two from step 2. Preferably a leader type centre half who knows this division to replace Temi Eweka, and a useful forward to add goals to our team and make up for Johnny Goddard's gone input.

Anyway let's see who these 4 new players are. Better to judge them on the field of play than write them off.

5 minutes ago, Ian g f said:

Is the article in the Slough Observer or Express?

Express and Maidenhead Advertiser.

12 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

What is 'said' and what is 'done' are two separate things.

RR,I wasn't at the fans forum to know what was said. 

Signing four players from step 3 to replace the four already gone is hardly awe-inspiring though, is it?

I was hoping for at least two from step 2. Preferably a leader type centre half who knows this division to replace Temi Eweka, and a useful forward to add goals to our team and make up for Johnny Goddard's gone input.

Anyway let's see who these 4 new players are. Better to judge them on the field of play than write them off.

If you knew what wages decent (not the top ones) step 2 players commanded you’d understand why we’re shopping in the step 3 market!!!

1 minute ago, GlenSTFC said:

If you knew what wages decent (not the top ones) step 2 players commanded you’d understand why we’re shopping in the step 3 market!!!

I don't doubt it but it goes with the territory. If the owners can't afford average NLS players they might as well go back to Step 3 and be the 'big fish in the smaller pond', than keep play acting at being a Step 2 side.

I thought, with the last two seasons, the club was making big strides with their sponsorship streams, and under the new owners, plans were afoot to reach headier heights. I know there was talk of a five year plan to challenge at the top of the division. Was this just waffle?

Signing two average-ish Step 2 players shouldn't be breaking the bank.