Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players signed, retained, left the club

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ian g f said:

Money talks!

Always has done and always will.

Can't blame Goddard or any other player if they can and want to earn a living playing football.

5 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

We currently have around 11 ‘committed’ so I doubt we’ll see 8 or 9 new players more 5 or 6 which will be topped up with EDS players or loans.

If we want progression we needed 3/4 before anyone left that's unless we want to regress.

Edited by Reading Rebel

25 minutes ago, Brettski said:

Who has he joined ???

Eastbourne have a signing announcement at 5pm 

Fully expecting  it to be him.

24 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Don't know but I'd guess one of Dorking, Eastbourne or Maidstone.

Eastbourne announcement at 5pm

About time I got on on this I think. With regards to the players that have left:

Goddard - what a difference a year makes. This time last season we were looking at an attacking midfielder, one of our experienced players and someone we needed to get us out of the area of the table we were in and he got 6 goals the whole season!!! The same as our right back. Travel forwards and he had a great season. So we have seen 1 great season and 1 poor season from him. At 31 years old and a new Dad, which would we be likely to see this time around? Good luck to him and well done for taking 1 last pay day, but we can move on from him (personally I want to see a full season of Leon Chambers-Parillon and I think Goddard will be a distant memory if we do).

Dyce - played about 20 minutes from Xmas. Looked like a good player before his injury but given thats the 2nd serious amount of time he has lost to injury so far, and given that we were still excellent without him AND IMO Gabe George has been by far the most improved player since Scott has taken over no issue for me him leaving as Gabe has the potential to be at least as good as him moving forwards with the right opportunity.

Eweke - massive loss both on and off the pitch but much like Goddard, we have to commend him for tryng full time football. IMO, he is an excellent defender at our level (hence the Maidstone move) but there still must be massive question marks for the league above after his go at Maidenhead. I hope he does very well and develops with Maidstone but I also hope we now use the weaknesses in his game against him when we play them. Big loss.

Lincoln - as a fully signed STFC goalie (so not on loan) IMO the best keeper we have had for 10 years. Having said that, with all the games we watch in a season, good - excellent keepers are out there and can be found. In addition, whilst Hugo isn't near Dan's level, I think he has been a good addition to the squad and having that safety net there gives Scott plenty of time to select the right number one for us.

Dandy - shame to see him leave as we have always rated him, but 100% understand his decision as at his age he needs to be starting week in week out even if its lower down at Step 3. Wish him the best but as for impact to the squad / team not the end of the world IMO.

When you look at the retained / signed list below, I think it is a very good start to a strong Slough squad once again this coming season:

Sobte

Jackman

Davies

Baylis

George

Prosper

Spicer

Chambers-Parillon

Ogbonna

Minhas

Abisogon

Spasov

Personally I want to see more of Spicer this season as he looks like a talent. Parillon is a brilliant talent and if he can stay fit I think has massive upside. Ogbonna can only get better. Minhas, Baylis and Spasov all took to the level very well IMO and can only get better for the years worth of experience. Jackman, Davies, Prosper you know what you are getting. Only leaves Abisogon who hopefully is now ready to show his level following the injury.

I think the most important thing for everyone to remember is the amount and level of contacts Scott has in the game. Personally I'm not worried at all about the players we have lost as I'm certain that Scott will have plennty of ace's up his sleave.

1 hour ago, SloughFlyer said:

Goddard announced at Boreham Wood for next season.

What used to be called taking a job outside football.

Posted (edited)

In reply to your post SF.

Goddard - big loss when at his best and our top scorer so not only lost a play making midfielder but a goal scorer. 

As far as Leon replacing him well yes the lad has got bundles of talent but at this level he does need to get more involved, with his talent he needs to start running the midfield. As for goals he will score a few but not anywhere near as many as Goddard. 

Dyce - big loss when fit but I think he's one of those players that will be injured more than he plays so a loss but definitely replaceable. Gabe George as we keep saying shows promise but to me is more of a wing back and when defending at left back needs to improve his game for this level.

Eweka - big loss for his combative skills and never say die attitude. I do think the NLS is his level especially after his aborted attempt at a bottom quarter side in Maidenhead. So yes a big loss.

Lincoln - decent experienced keeper but not the best keeper we've had in the last 10 years, that goes to Jack Turner. Big loss but as you say there are some good keepers out there so replaceable.

Dandy -  decent young player who needs to play to get more experience so a move was always on the cards.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Posted (edited)

Have to say I thought it strange that Johnny Goddard was rumored to be signing for Eastbourne as I think he lives near Reading which is at least a 5 hour round trip on a good day.

Seeing as he played for St Albans, Borehamwood was the more logical move.

Edited by Reading Rebel

36 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

How did you know some players were being announced today?

With only a couple of days until our discounted ticket sale ends, announcing some good news to supporters rather than what we've had so far just seems common sense if the club want to maximize sales.

So basically I don't know it's more in hope than anticipation.