Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players signed, retained, left the club

42 minutes ago, grandad said:

Whatever you think of anyone's comments there's no need for a dig of that kind. This is a forum, all views are encouraged. As mentioned above, he has been a Slough supporter through thick and thin for longer than some of you have been alive. I moved away 27 years ago, but used to enjoy my amicable chats with him at Wexham Park.

He unleashed a completely unprovoked, disrespectful personal attack on Scott. Would he say this his face? Scott is very diplomatic and has taken it in good spirits like the nice guy he is, which make the comments and subsequent attempt to play the victim very odd. Sounds like he has a few problems of his own to deal with.

Let’s put it to bed now. My question probably got a reply that I wasn’t expecting and has now opened a whole can of worms through no fault of my own as it certainly wasn’t my intention to do that.

I appreciate the support but can also take the criticism too which I have done before and will do in future.

Was just slightly baffled/bemused by the reply but like I said, let’s move on and brush it under the carpet. No need for others to fall out 👍🏼😀

Really disappointing especially if it’s the club I think it is… fair enough if you move onto a bigger club who have a far greater chance of promotion plus a full time contract but when it’s for a few quid more to a club that has similar aspirations as us then it’s hard to take. But as Scott has stated if he’s not fully committed best he’s gone. I would hope we’re already on the hunt for a replacement.

Not Farnborough surely?

1 hour ago, BFR said:

Minhas leaves.....

I think that’s quite a serious blow….. having also lost Goddard that’s 29 of our 81 league goals last season.

And I actually thought Minhas would improve this season & score 20 league goals, so surprised he wasn’t put on a one season contract.

41 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I think that’s quite a serious blow….. having also lost Goddard that’s 29 of our 81 league goals last season.

And I actually thought Minhas would improve this season & score 20 league goals, so surprised he wasn’t put on a one season contract.

He scored a few goals but the way we played last season any average player could of Goddard is a miss 

6 hours ago, Curtis said:

Hi Curtis, Nathan was on a contract but the majority, if not all contracts run from august until april in the NLS, unless clubs choose to pay 52 weeks or they’re full time, so therefore Nathan was out of contract as it’s now June.

Bit wordy but hope it makes sense.

All of our lads that are signing contracts will be signing them within the next few days ahead of this season coming.

The fact he’s over 24 and out of contract means he can turn down our offer and walk away for nothing, whereas if he was under the age of 24 we would be entitled to something.

Hope this helps 👍🏼

Hi Scott,

I understand what you are saying, and that probably made sense historically & for clubs that have cash flow concerns (no matches May/June/July so don’t want expense of player wages in those months).

But with early bird season ticket sales that should smooth out cash flow to enable 52 week contracts rather than 40 week contracts (as a simple example 52 weeks at £200 rather than 40 weeks at £250). And wouldn’t players prefer that? For some, it might be a struggle having no football income for three months.

9 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Hi Scott,

I understand what you are saying, and that probably made sense historically & for clubs that have cash flow concerns (no matches May/June/July so don’t want expense of player wages in those months).

But with early bird season ticket sales that should smooth out cash flow to enable 52 week contracts rather than 40 week contracts (as a simple example 52 weeks at £200 rather than 40 weeks at £250). And wouldn’t players prefer that? For some, it might be a struggle having no football income for three months.

It’s something that we’ve spoken about doing, but players want the flexibility to talk to other clubs. It would only ever suit us and not them, so would be reluctant to be tied down for 12 months a year.

Also, having that small gap in between contracts in a weird way allows us to know where we are at as a club. Imagine 5 players had contracts that ran out on the last day of this month and all decided to leave, we would be stumped as business has been done already by many clubs at this point.

Unless a player is under 24, they hold the cards. A lot wouldn’t sign contracts with an option in the clubs favour etc, and I personally wouldn’t have signed that as a player either.

19 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Really disappointing especially if it’s the club I think it is… fair enough if you move onto a bigger club who have a far greater chance of promotion plus a full time contract but when it’s for a few quid more to a club that has similar aspirations as us then it’s hard to take. But as Scott has stated if he’s not fully committed best he’s gone. I would hope we’re already on the hunt for a replacement.

Certainly a surprise him leaving and definitely not what Slough needed this time around but to me he's taken the easy route and left Slough in lurch because he didn't fancy having to show his mettle and prove the doubters wrong,that he could score double figures in the NLS on a regular basis. Yes, he's probably been made a better offer financially at his new team but it doesn't speak much for his character in my opinion.

In other words he will be able to put in about 80% effort and get an easy ride at Chesham this season whereas he just couldn't do that anymore at Slough, as management and fans here were expecting more from him to match his hyped reputation as goal poacher.    

Edited by 3spirit

Scott,

Wouldn’t even work if contracts were 1st June to 31st May?

That would give you & the players a month after the season has ended to make a decision on the next season. And there would be more certainty earlier, avoiding this situation with Nathan Minhas (presumably he verbally agreed to stay, and then has either had a change of heart or a better offer since?).

Personally, I also think all contracts should include a buyout clause (of something like one years salary & a 20% sell on clause) to avoid losing the likes a Munashe Sundire without compensation (I understand not wanting to stand in the way of a players progression but also thought that was a blow to us & likewise with Edon Pruti the previous season).

I suppose if players can dictate that they wouldn’t agree to these though?

10 hours ago, Curtis said:

Scott,

Wouldn’t even work if contracts were 1st June to 31st May?

That would give you & the players a month after the season has ended to make a decision on the next season. And there would be more certainty earlier, avoiding this situation with Nathan Minhas (presumably he verbally agreed to stay, and then has either had a change of heart or a better offer since?).

Personally, I also think all contracts should include a buyout clause (of something like one years salary & a 20% sell on clause) to avoid losing the likes a Munashe Sundire without compensation (I understand not wanting to stand in the way of a players progression but also thought that was a blow to us & likewise with Edon Pruti the previous season).

I suppose if players can dictate that they wouldn’t agree to these though?

No player would ever sign that! 😅 that’s massively wishful thinking, and would be nice but just wouldn’t happen.

Nathan actually told me a few weeks ago he was leaving but had to wait for his contract to expire before we could announce that he’s left.

Still a few days left on it, probably why Chesham are yet to announce it! 

8 hours ago, G Brown said:

Theoretical starting 11:

Horlock

CB Jammers Bayliss 

Josh Lench Leon LWB

Ogbonna Slav Ufuah

Gabe, Scotty, Gilbert, Abs, Scotty, Spicer. Sam, Roth

Squad is shaping up and in Scotty I trust!!!

We have double Scotty power!!!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, G Brown said:

Theoretical starting 11:

Horlock

CB Jammers Bayliss 

Josh Lench Leon LWB

Ogbonna Slav Ufuah

Gabe, Scotty, Gilbert, Abs, Scotty, Spicer. Sam, Roth

Squad is shaping up and in Scotty I trust!!!

Who's CB?

And why have you put down Horlock when as far as we know we haven't signed him.

Edited by Reading Rebel