Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Thatcham (friendly)

Reading Rebel

57 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Strikers who are banging in the goals are in the main at clubs challenging towards the top end of their division going for promotion and on very decent money.

You're right, but there's always the possibility of a gem who'll play for other reasons. I'm thinking of the year 2008/09, when we had Yashwa Romeo who scored 15 goals for us and Matthew Platt who scored 17, in what was a poor side.

Just think of what they could have done in a decent team!

Edited by Nathan

4 hours ago, Nathan said:

You're right, but there's always the possibility of a gem who'll play for other reasons. I'm thinking of the year 2008/09, when we had Yashwa Romeo who scored 15 goals for us and Matthew Platt who scored 17, in what was a poor side.

Just think of what they could have done in a decent team!

These 'gems' are out there but hard to find.

It's always a gamble signing a player who's scoring a lot of goals lower down the pyramid hoping he will continue to score at a higher level.

Most don't make it but there are always the exceptions.

Now that Mickel Platt is leaving in January we'd better make that 2 strikers required 😩

Edited by Reading Rebel

I would have thought Mickel would have known for a few weeks about this offer. But obviously being such a massive decision he probably needed a bit of time to weigh it up. Not sure what his day job is but this contract would have to be very lucrative to convince him to leave home. Not sure what level he’s going to but I guess these opportunities certainly don’t appear often (wonder how he got noticed from Australia?) and it’ll be a wonderful like changing opportunity so I wish him well. I’m sure Scott has irons already in that Xmas fire and some news will be forthcoming very soon…

33 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I would have thought Mickel would have known for a few weeks about this offer. But obviously being such a massive decision he probably needed a bit of time to weigh it up.

Scotty says (on the news item on the website) that this has come as a surprise to him. It's such a shame that he's leaving us so soon after recovering from injury, I've only seen glimpses of him and I was looking forward to him becoming a regular first-team starter (and goalscorer). Maybe this offer is simply too good to turn down.

The obvious questions here (given that he's been deemed good enough to be flown to the other side of the world and put on a professional contract) are: was he on contract with us and will we get a fee for him (or will it be waived like Edon Prundi)?

30 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Scotty says (on the news item on the website) that this has come as a surprise to him. It's such a shame that he's leaving us so soon after recovering from injury, I've only seen glimpses of him and I was looking forward to him becoming a regular first-team starter (and goalscorer). Maybe this offer is simply too good to turn down.

The obvious questions here (given that he's been deemed good enough to be flown to the other side of the world and put on a professional contract) are: was he on contract with us and will we get a fee for him (or will it be waived like Edon Prundi)?

Again as per Edon Pruti, if Mickel is on a contract it's probably a worthless piece of paper.

If the club he's going to doesn't want to pay a fee we wouldn't stand in his way. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

48 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Again as per Edon Pruti, if Mickel is on a contract it's probably a worthless piece of paper.

If the club he's going to doesn't want to pay a fee we wouldn't stand in his way. 

Happy to waive the contracts, but mug enough to pay Maidenhead for Temi?

The way players are coming in as the best thing since sliced bread, but then off after a few months starts to question the selection process.

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

I would like to think that a contract is more than a worthless piece of paper.

Obviously we'll only be entitled to a fee is there is a contract (we don't yet know), but if the club don't insist on fees when a player is on contract so as to not stand in the way of their career (a laudable position to take), then why bother with contracts at all?

2 hours ago, Nathan said:

I would like to think that a contract is more than a worthless piece of paper.

Obviously we'll only be entitled to a fee is there is a contract (we don't yet know), but if the club don't insist on fees when a player is on contract so as to not stand in the way of their career (a laudable position to take), then why bother with contracts at all?

It's really only if we come across a gem who becomes a sought after player that higher up clubs are willing to pay money for.

Or like we did with Temi, who wasn't getting a game, we paid a fee to get him back to the club to help us avoid relegation.

16 hours ago, C'est la vie said:

Gutting we'll be losing Mickel as I thought he had alot of potential. What I saw of him he looked to have great pace and power and exactly the type of striker we needed. O well, these things happen, fingers crossed we get in a decent striker for the second half of the season 🤞

I don't think he has great pace.

I think his main assets are that he holds the ball up well bringing other players into the game and brings a bit of physicality and presence to our forward line and will score a decent amount of goals.

13 hours ago, Rebellier said:

I suppose we could raid Bracknell again for a striker.  Ben Harris anyone?

No thanks.

Edited by Reading Rebel

4 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Happy to waive the contracts, but mug enough to pay Maidenhead for Temi?

The way players are coming in as the best thing since sliced bread, but then off after a few months starts to question the selection process.

I think the Temi situation was a bit different.

We wanted and needed him to bolster our defence and the only way we could get him was to pay a fee.

Again TBF I'm sure no one knew this was coming when we signed Mickel so nothing to do with our selection process. 

I doubt Mickel was one of the 5-6 on contracts.

If it’s purely a football decision, I’m surprised Mickel has decided to move to Hume City. From what I can see they are at level 2 in Australian ( in one of 8 divisions at that level), with no promotion from there to level 1, and are semi-professional with a ground capacity of 3,000 (I can’t find their average attendances).

They only play 26 matches a season from January to June, and apparently the top earners at that level are on about £750 per week, which has got to be a lot less than the top earners at our level. So, I’m surprised about the ‘professional contract’.

Very strange, especially when he’s just moved from Step3 to Step2, and at 23 if he had one or two good seasons with us he could have potentially been looking at a move to Step1 & a proper full time contract.

30 minutes ago, Curtis said:

If it’s purely a football decision, I’m surprised Mickel has decided to move to Hume City. From what I can see they are at level 2 in Australian ( in one of 8 divisions at that level), with no promotion from there to level 1, and are semi-professional with a ground capacity of 3,000 (I can’t find their average attendances).

They only play 26 matches a season from January to June, and apparently the top earners at that level are on about £750 per week, which has got to be a lot less than the top earners at our level. So, I’m surprised about the ‘professional contract’.

Very strange, especially when he’s just moved from Step3 to Step2, and at 23 if he had one or two good seasons with us he could have potentially been looking at a move to Step1 & a proper full time contract.

More to life than Football, depends what he has been offered in the way of his real job out there, also they are coming into summer time over there, or if there is a "woman" involved!

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

If correct the bit saying 'professional full time contract' sounds odd but if he's single it's probably all about a new lifestyle etc.

Edited by Reading Rebel