Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bromley FA Trophy match

Holyport Rebel

Congratulations Bromley.
I thought nothing would alter one of my deeply held footballing beliefs, but yesterday you managed to do so.
I'd always thought that nothing could be worse as an away fan than to go to Concord Rangers on a wet, cold, windy Tuesday evening, but. all things considered, I'd truly rather go there again than to high-flying National League Bromley.
I don't claim to speak for other Rebels fans, but I thought yesterday was truly abysmal.
I was already unhappy with Bromley for charging their full National League prices for an early round Trophy match against lower league opposition only TWO WEEKS before Christmas.
All clubs are desperate for cash, but Slough have reduced entry prices for our upcoming midweek home match against Hemel,  which is a great gesture by the club to our fans.
( Take note Bromley, not everyone are greedy b******'s.)
Then we had the debacle of Bromley's ticketing website, which didn't even have away tickets available to buy for away fans until a day or two before the match. 
Slough fans who had bought the general admission ticket that was the only one available on their website for some considerable time, were  advised to contact Bromley to get this issued resolved, and when they did so received no reply from Bromley.
All this from a club flying high in the National League and hoping to progress into the Football League, and all this before we had even arrived at the ground on matchday.
When we got there, the car park the coach drove into was like a small scale reconstruction of The Somme.
Never heard of tarmac Bromley ?
Before being allowed in the one turnstile available  us fans had to endure a bodily search.
Then on entering the ground, we found ourselves dumped in what felt like to me a concrete prison exercise yard, with toilet facilities to match.
We even had what looked like three proper coppers by the corner flag near us watching us for.................?
Bromley promised me for a 22 quid entrance fee  " a wonderful view of the pitch".
I don't know about other Slough fans but my ticket should have had " RESTRICTED VIEW" printed boldly across it.
The away team's dugout in front of a home fans section was transparent, so home fans behind it could obviously see through it and see what was happening on the pitch.
The home team's dugout is near the away fans area, not transparent, so away fans obviously cannot see through it.  
Erika Roe could have been running up and down the wing in that half of the pitch all game and I would have been totally unaware of her charms.
Stuck out in the elements, I'm only grateful that we weren't subjected to a downpour.
I thought all clubs were obliged to offer away fans at least some cover ?
At least at Concord home fans endure the miserable facilities the same as the away fan's do, and that level of  misery is all Concord can really aspire to.
Bromley have what looked like a lovely new stand behind the goal, with I guess equally impressive clubhouse facilities and hospitality treats available to enjoy inside.
Not for us away fans though.
We weren't welcome that side of the ground.
It took me back to the 1980's, when every other weekend I'd follow United to away games in the old First Division.
Football fans as a whole were treated as scum back then, but especially so away fans.
That was the 80's, I expect more in the 2020's.
Not at Bromley it seems.
I couldn't wait to get back on the coach and head off home.
As for the game ?
I expected to lose but hoped we could surprise them, and feared the worst when they cut through us with ease in the very first minute to go one up.
We battled back very admirably, and if we had gone in level at half time Bromley could not have complained.
Second half there was only one team in it.
Us.
I felt we never got any breaks the whole game.
I would have taken massive pleasure if we had managed a late equaliser and beaten them on penalties, but it wasn't to be.
Would have been some recompense for the grotty way Bromley treat away fans.
All the above are my thoughts on what happened yesterday,
Other Rebel fans may think differently or have had different experiences to what I did.
It made me think that if this is what life would be like as an away fan in the National League, I think I'd happily give it a miss.
The last time I went to Bromley was in 1990, when we won the league with a winning goal in the last few minutes of the match.
33 years ago.
I'd be quite happy if it was another 33 years before I had to go to Bromley again.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

9 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Congratulations Bromley.
I thought nothing would alter one of my deeply held footballing beliefs, but yesterday you managed to do so.
I'd always thought that nothing could be worse as an away fan than to go to Concord Rangers on a wet, cold, windy Tuesday evening, but. all things considered, I'd truly rather go there again than to high-flying National League Bromley.
I don't claim to speak for other Rebels fans, but I thought yesterday was truly abysmal.
I was already unhappy with Bromley for charging their full National League prices for an early round Trophy match against lower league opposition only TWO WEEKS before Christmas.
All clubs are desperate for cash, but Slough have reduced entry prices for our upcoming midweek home match against Hemel,  which is a great gesture by the club to our fans.
Then we had the debacle of Bromley's ticketing website, which didn't even have away tickets available to buy for away fans until a day or two before the match. 
Slough fans who had bought the general admission ticket that was the only one available on their website for some considerable time, were  advised to contact Bromley to get this issued resolved, and when they did so received no reply from Bromley.
All this from a club flying high in the National League and hoping to progress into the Football League, and all this before we even arrived at the ground on matchday.
When we got there, the car park the coach drove into was like a small scale reconstruction of The Somme.
Before being allowed in the one turnstile available  us fans had to endure a bodily search.
Then on entering the ground, we found ourselves dumped in what felt like to me a concrete prison exercise yard, with toilet facilities to match.
We even had what looked like three proper coppers by the corner flag near us watching us for.................?
Bromley promised me for a 22 quid entrance fee  " a wonderful view of the pitch".
I don't know about other Slough fans but my ticket should have had " RESTRICTED VIEW" printed boldly across it.
The away team's dugout in front of a home fans section was transparent, so home fans behind it could obviously see through it and see what was happening on the pitch.
The home team's dugout is near the away fans area, not transparent, so away fans obviously cannot see through it.  
Erika Roe could have been running up and down the wing in that half of the pitch all game and I would have been totally unaware of her charms.
Stuck out in the elements, I'm only grateful that we weren't subjected to a downpour.
At least at Concord home fan's endure the miserable facilities the same as the away fan's do, and that level of  misery is all Concord can really aspire to.
Bromley have what looked like a lovely new stand behind the goal, with I guess equally impressive clubhouse facilities and hospitality treats available to enjoy inside.
It took me back to the 1980's, when every other weekend I'd follow United to away games in the old First Divistion.
Football fans as a whole were treated as scum back then, but especially so away fans.
Not at Bromley it seems.
As for the game ?
I expected to lose but hoped we could surprise them, but feared the worst when they cut through us with ease in the very first minute to go one up.
We battled back very admirably, and if we had gone in level at half time Bromley could not have complained.
Us.
I would have taken massive pleasure if we had managed a late equaliser and beaten them on penalties, but it wasn't to be.
Would have been some recompense for the grotty way Bromley treat away fan's.
Other Rebel fans may think differently or have had different experiences to what I did.
It made me think that if this is what life would be like as an away fan in the National League, I think I'd happily give it a miss.
The last time I went to Bromley was in 1990, when we won the league with a winning goal in the last few minutes of the match.
33 years ago.
I'd be quite happy if it was another 33 years before I had to go to Bromley again.

Have to say another excellent and succinct post HR.

I reckon you've summed up the way most of us felt after yesterday's appalling and degrading experience.

I couldn't believe they put out one table and a few chairs that couldn't be sat on because they were in such a poor state along with the disgusting toilets.

BTW I like your optimism on the 33 years bit 😅

5 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Congratulations Bromley.
All this from a club flying high in the National League and hoping to progress into the Football League, and all this before we had even arrived at the ground on matchday.
At least at Concord home fans endure the miserable facilities the same as the away fan's do, and that level of  misery is all Concord can really aspire to.
It took me back to the 1980's, when every other weekend I'd follow United to away games in the old First Division.
Not at Bromley it seems.
As for the game ?
I expected to lose but hoped we could surprise them, and feared the worst when they cut through us with ease in the very first minute to go one up.
Us.
Would have been some recompense for the grotty way Bromley treat away fans.
33 years ago.

Great Post HR going to this game travelling from Swindon with it.s shocking treatment for the away fans cost me £83.

Well done to the squad yesterday well played just short in front of goal.

COYREBELS

Edited by sdelane2308

Once again HR Sunday roast has been served up to perfection. Excellent read and so true, I feel that HR should serve this up every sunday the day wouldn't be the same without it.

I have to say that the outside beer garden and in particular the table ( a photo of this can be seen on Brighton Rebels Twitter page ) is a sight to behold. Brighton Rebel also says that he discovered a new mushroom growing in the toilets, thankfully there is no photo of this but you never know.

Personally I've seen cattle treated better than we were yesterday. 

The experience is one I won't forget even purchasing a ticket in the away terrace area and being allocated seat 39 row 2, I looked for my seat for half an hour before realising that there were no seats.

to the game I thought we played really well, by far the better side and had no luck. 

So to sum up thank you Bromley for such an experience and just think they could be in the football league next season.

Great work HR I look forward to another serving of HR Sunday roast next week.

COYR

Steve D, it's very nice to think that you  and others on here seemingly like some of my longwinded posts.

I admire people like "Legend of Pegasus" and of course "Brighton Rebel" ( plus others) who always produce an interesting read  in every single match day programme. 

That isn't easy to do. 

Sometimes I can think of a topic regarding a match and then go on and on about it. 

Other times/games my mind is a blank !

My posts in the match day programme ?

I'm quite happy just having them up here thanks.

I believe we played more a23 players before Ashley took over! I didn’t hear any moaning when alfonso, imran and gabe were playing! So are you saying you can’t give young players a chance? What about David ogbonna? He’s not part of a23 and we signed him from at least 2 leagues below? The only a23 player regular with the current match day squad is spicer and he’s been representing England! I love watching this squad of players and the football we are playing.

Thanks Steve D.

Your comment about articles in the match day programme rekindled half forgotten memories for me.

I have a very minor "claim for fame" that I once had an article printed in a current Premiership club's official match programme.

Covered two complete pages in their programme dated 28/8/00.

That "achievement" is right up there alongside the time my mum wrote to Man Utd to get my name printed in their official match day programme, to wish me a Happy 28th Birthday.

Appeared in the programme v Liverpool on 1/1/89.

Thanks mum, bless her..

Edited by Holyport Rebel

1 hour ago, Richierebel1 said:

The only a23 player regular with the current match day squad is spicer and he’s been representing England!

I know he made it through to the final trial for the England U18 Schoolboys which was yesterday:-

https://schoolsfootball.org/2023/11/20/england-u18-schoolboys-prodirect-trials-final-squad-announced/

Did he get through then? Or has he been representing England at some other level?

22 hours ago, sdelane2308 said:

Great Post HR going to this game travelling from Swindon with it.s shocking treatment for the away fans cost me £83.

Well done to the squad yesterday well played just short in front of goal.

COYREBELS

Spending that sum on travel that i have to price in coming from Swindon entrance food and drinks is not the issue but as been said treatment for away fans blimey just imagine a cold frosty Tuesday night in January.

Not allowed nowwhere near the Clubhouse for warmth a pint chat watch a prem game on TV I did not get real value for that sum spent when we went to York City it was no different.

Edited by sdelane2308

4 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

The final trails took place yesterday, Sunday 10th December at Castle Vale Stadium, but could not find any results of that as yet, but that does not stop some from speculating and making unproven comments.

The squad has just been announced, and Oliver Spicer has made the squad.

Congratulations Oliver

https://m.facebook.com/schoolsfootball

Edited by Curtis

21 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Yes very well done Ollie. Now should the club protect their asset and put Ollie on contract or not and wait until he plays more first team games?

Ollie is still in education so can’t be put on a contract. We’ve had him in at a premier league club and a championship club and he left both trials early as he ‘enjoyed it more at Slough’. He’s very intelligent too, his GCSE grades were all A*/A’s so he’s focusing on school and going with the flow with his football.

Whilst we are talking about contracts, it’s probably good for people to be aware of who is on one.

Joe Dandy, Johnny Goddard, Leon P-C, David Ogbonna, Nathan Minhas, Temi Eweka, Gabe George, Oscar Lucey, Kai Allsopp.

1 hour ago, Scott Davies said:

Ollie is still in education so can’t be put on a contract. We’ve had him in at a premier league club and a championship club and he left both trials early as he ‘enjoyed it more at Slough’. He’s very intelligent too, his GCSE grades were all A*/A’s so he’s focusing on school and going with the flow with his football.

Whilst we are talking about contracts, it’s probably good for people to be aware of who is on one.

Joe Dandy, Johnny Goddard, Leon P-C, David Ogbonna, Nathan Minhas, Temi Eweka, Gabe George, Oscar Lucey, Kai Allsopp.

What might have been! Bromley are home to Chippennham next round of Trophy I would fancy us to win a home tie against Chippenham.

3 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Now should the club protect their asset and put Ollie on contract or not and wait until he plays more first team games?

I have had a quick look at the England Schoolboys U18 squad for 2018/9 (five years ago) to see where they are now.

Other than Sam Tickle who is the first choice goalkeeper at Wigan in League One, I can’t see any others currently in the Football League.

Adam Crowther seems to be doing well at Kings Lynn, Owen Windsor was at Chippenham last season & Chester this season, and Ross Johnstone has been a regular starter for San Diego University (NCAA Div 1 play-offs last two seasons).

All the others I found that appeared to still be playing were at Step4 or lower clubs.

https://schoolsfootball.org/international-squads/u18-boys-historical-performances/esfa-u18-schoolboys-historical-fixtures-results/season-18-19-u18-boys/

Edited by Curtis