Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

B&B Cup Flackwell

Sir Rebel1965

Fair play to Flackwell , they wanted it more won every 2nd (and third) ball, we were a team of strangers with no midfield either offensively or defensively and those 1st teamers who did play either made some hideous mistakes for the goals or thought that they should beat 4 players each time ! 
FH played fast simple balls and got their just reward . 
best wishes to them 

So the original question was: Is the B&B to be “avoided” or should it be used to keep the winning mentality going?

Well with that result against a team from 3 levels lower than us I think there is a clear answer, the game must have been thrown, as to lose that badly when trying to win would show that there are real concerns about the team.

Well, it was only the Bed & Breakfast cup!

Time to focus on the league as currently other teams are doing us a favour, but if they get their acts together then losing in the B&B will be the least of the clubs problems.

I wasn't there, but from what I've gathered Flackwell treated it as their 'cup final' and possibly took it more seriously than us. Mix that in with some young inexperienced players on our team and I don't think "thrown" is an acceptable accusation. 

6 minutes ago, Rebellier said:

I wasn't there, but from what I've gathered Flackwell treated it as their 'cup final' and possibly took it more seriously than us. Mix that in with some young inexperienced players on our team and I don't think "thrown" is an acceptable accusation. 

Flackwell were always going to be up for it, unfortunately the team we put out were not.

The game wasn't 'thrown' they just couldn't match Flackwell's effort and enthusiasm on the night.

Add in some calamitous defending and you have a 5-1 scoreline.

3 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

So the original question was: Is the B&B to be “avoided” or should it be used to keep the winning mentality going?

Well with that result against a team from 3 levels lower than us I think there is a clear answer, the game must have been thrown, as to lose that badly when trying to win would show that there are real concerns about the team.

Time to focus on the league as currently other teams are doing us a favour, but if they get their acts together then losing in the B&B will be the least of the clubs problems.

The B&B should be used for what it is, a chance to give players minutes and to give some young players a taste of senior football.

At least last night's football wasn't totally without some merit.

Watching Barnsley's injury time winner against Wyscum brought a big smile to my face despite our 5-1 loss.

( To me Wyscum will always be our greatest rivals. )

Proves to me there is a God.  🤣  

It's on Barnsley FC twitter page.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

3 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Not sure how there can be any 'real concerns' about the team.

No player goes out to lose a game.

We had 9 first team starters missing and a sprinkling of youngsters in our line up.

Flackwell are a decent hard working side and on the night we couldn't match their enthusiasm and will to win.

Add in the defensive mistakes and you're on the end of a 5-1 hammering.

25 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Not sure how there can be any 'real concerns' about the team.

No player goes out to lose a game.

We had 9 first team starters missing and a sprinkling of youngsters in our line up.

Flackwell are a decent hard working side and on the night we couldn't match their enthusiasm and will to win.

Add in the defensive mistakes and you're on the end of a 5-1 hammering.

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Disastrous performance from start to finish.

Couldn't defend with seasoned first team players making calamitous mistakes.

Midfield non existent.

Anonymous up front with two shots on target all night.

Apart from that it was good evenings watch 😅

So which was it?

They are two directly opposing sets of statements that you make!

On 29/11/2023 at 11:14, Sir Rebel1965 said:

So which was it?

They are two directly opposing sets of statements that you make!

Both are true.

First statement is correct and the second gives some mitigating circumstances.

With 9 first team starters missing, some youngsters who've never played senior football and players out of position why would there be 'real concerns' about the team?

What really matters is next Tuesday against Taunton.

Lose that one 5-1 and then we could be talking about 'real concerns'.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Ok not many of us were expecting to get thrashed and it’s embarrassing but we win at Taunton and this will be quickly forgotten! Had we won some would then be moaning about fitting another fixture into our busy schedule! We did the right thing on resting players just a shame we didn’t perform on the night to have made it a closer competitive game. Was surprised there were 238 in attendance which must be one of their biggest crowds of the season?

Just now, GlenSTFC said:

Ok not many of us were expecting to get thrashed and it’s embarrassing but we win at Taunton and this will be quickly forgotten! Had we won some would then be moaning about fitting another fixture into our busy schedule! We did the right thing on resting players just a shame we didn’t perform on the night to have made it a closer competitive game. Was surprised there were 238 in attendance which must be one of their biggest crowds of the season?

Btw what’s our cut of the gate receipts??!!

5 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

The game wasn't 'thrown' they just couldn't match Flackwell's effort and enthusiasm on the night.

I've seen several such performances in the B&B over the years. I think what Sir Rebel1965 is getting at is that a team from the National League South (albeit one with a few fringe players and trialists) should have made a team from the Combined Counties League at least work for a victory, whereas by all accounts they simply had to turn up.

Unfortunately the £750 fine for withdrawal without a satisfactory reason (or applying for an exemption from the mandatory participation rule, which also costs £750) makes it financially prohibitive to simply not bother with the competition. The rules explicitly state "Illness, injury and/or shortage of players shall not be considered as sufficient reason for withdrawal", which makes me wonder what would be considered a sufficient reason!

5 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

At least last night's football wasn't totally without some merit.

Watching Barnsley's injury time winner against Wyscum brought a big smile to my face despite our 5-1 loss.

( To me Wyscum will always be our greatest rivals. )

Proves to me there is a God.  🤣  

It's on Barnsley FC twitter page.

An element of hoist with their own petard about the goal. However much they were for a long time our close rivals, Wycombe used to have a reputation for sportsmanship/good conduct which they have deliberately and comprehensively trashed over more recent seasons. It would have taken a heart of stone not to have laughed.  

23 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Btw what’s our cut of the gate receipts??!!

Don't know but probably split 3 ways.