Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bedford FC

Posted (edited)

I note that Charlie Smith's late goal, at Biggleswade United in October, was unsurprisingly voted the Club's goal of the season, David who?, Wayne who? 😉:

Edited by Rhodes

It has all 'hit the fan' this morning hasn't it, I'm surprised LondonEagle hasn't already posted with a 'wry smile':

Club Statement: Real Bedford Ceases Lease Negotiations with Mayor Tom Wootton and Bedford Council | Real Bedford FC | Running Bitcoin

ImageImage

No difficulties for Real Bedford Ladies at McMullen Park yesterday (Sunday 12 May) afternoon, against AFC Dunstable Ladies, in their final Eastern Region Women's League Premier Division fixture of the 2023/24 campaign and certainly for the foreseeable future following their promotion to the next level of Women's football. It is assumed that the Ladies will play in the Women's National League Division One South East next season which includes the likes of Norwich City Ladies and Cambridge United Ladies, it is surely unlikely they will be placed in the Women's National League Division One Midlands although Peterborough United Ladies ply their trade there as well as, 'not a million miles away' Northampton Town Ladies. Interestingly Luton Town Ladies will finish just six points behind Real Bedford Ladies should they win their final League fixture at home to already relegated AFC Dunstable Ladies next Sunday following six wins from their last seven League matches, and amassing forty goals, with the only defeat coming at McMullen Park: 

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

It has all 'hit the fan' this morning hasn't it, I'm surprised LondonEagle hasn't already posted with a 'wry smile':

Club Statement: Real Bedford Ceases Lease Negotiations with Mayor Tom Wootton and Bedford Council | Real Bedford FC | Running Bitcoin

ImageImage

Not a good situation. I'm sure most if not all Bedford Town fans would prefer to beat them on the pitch.      

Wild stuff. Thought this would cool for more than a couple of weeks after seemingly coming to lease terms for the next few years. Back to the drawing board, I guess. I can't help but think that given the now significant resources the club has gained, they'll be able to see there way to a new area if that's what's required. May be ahead of the schedule they wished to achieve that but I believe that the clubs leadership will overcome this. Shame that this is the route the council has chosen to go. I can't wait for the Town derby whenever it comes to fruition. Going to be absolutely electric.

Posted (edited)
On 13/05/2024 at 12:59, LondonEagle said:

Not a good situation. I'm sure most if not all Bedford Town fans would prefer to beat them on the pitch.      

LondonEagle - So what do you have to say about the following sentence in the Club's hard hitting statement:

In response, we are also calling out Cllr Sarah-Jayne Gallagher and the Mayor's assistant, Trevor Roff, for their roles in obstructing the progress of Real Bedford. Their actions reveal a conflict of interest that cannot be overlooked. We invited all of these people to visit our club, we even planned a specific day for them, with them only to cancel the evening before and not make new arrangements. We have though seen pictures of them on social media enjoying their visits to Bedford Town, including Cllr Sarah-Jayne Gallagher in a Bedford Town shirt.

Edited by Rhodes

4 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

LondonEagle - So what do you have to say about the following sentence in the Club's hard hitting statement:

In response, we are also calling out Cllr Sarah-Jayne Gallagher and the Mayor's assistant, Trevor Roff, for their roles in obstructing the progress of Real Bedford. Their actions reveal a conflict of interest that cannot be overlooked. We invited all of these people to visit our club, we even planned a specific day for them, with them only to cancel the evening before and not make new arrangements. We have though seen pictures of them on social media enjoying their visits to Bedford Town, including Cllr Sarah-Jayne Gallagher in a Bedford Town shirt.

Watched video Peter has released this afternoon and he makes it clear he is calling out the Mayor and the Councillors mentioned. Not Bedford Town. He says thinks the Mayor hsdbit in for him personally and he doesn't think anyone at Bedford Town is involved in trying to stop the lease renewal.

Never heard of that Cllr. but she shouldn't be involved if she has a conflict of interest. 

Posted (edited)
On 13/05/2024 at 13:58, RallyInRaleigh said:

Wild stuff. Thought this would cool for more than a couple of weeks after seemingly coming to lease terms for the next few years. Back to the drawing board, I guess. I can't help but think that given the now significant resources the club has gained, they'll be able to see there way to a new area if that's what's required. May be ahead of the schedule they wished to achieve that but I believe that the clubs leadership will overcome this. Shame that this is the route the council has chosen to go. I can't wait for the Town derby whenever it comes to fruition. Going to be absolutely electric.

RallyInRaleigh - Yes, it would appear that the lease 'agreement' for want of a better word, which clearly isn't worth the paper it's written on, dropped on the door mat at McMullen Park last Friday morning and all hell broke loose, I wonder how much the 'significant, arbitrary increase in rent' is as clearly the Council pricked up their ears when learning Mr McCormack had a cool $4.3 million dollars in his pocket and had dollar, sorry, pound signs in front of their eyes. I see that the Non League football 'connoisseurs' have already got wind of it over on another Forum, they don't miss a trick, the bit about 'supporters of Bedford Town loving it' is an understatement isn't it:

It's a bit naughty if that is the intention, but I can't help feeling it's more a case of omission - failing to mention women's football rather than specifically excluding it. The rest of the post is just an unnecessary rant though, and I expect supporters of Bedford Town will be loving it!

Feels a bit unfair on them, but this bit is a bit weird if they are admitting that for 2 years they have been playing without a lease in their name, which i would have thought would be a standard FA requirement for all men's senior football. 'They will claim our names are not on the lease, which they have been aware of over two years, which we have agreed that the new lease is required to put our names on.'

I believe it expires sometime in 2026, early part of the year I think, so technically they have 1 full season, if the Southern League or NPL accept them without a lease in their name i guess.

Minimum requirement, in the NPL, is (i) to own the freehold of the ground, (ii) have a lease for both the current and the next season, or (iii) possess some agreement to use the ground that the FA is ok with.

Lots of Club's have their mend and women's sides play at different grounds. Apart from that condition, which I can't see standing-up. 10k a year rent increase for a Club that's just announced over £3m of investment, doesn't seem so unreasonable that it's worth jeopardising the future of the Club by refusing to sign it.

It would be highly unusual (to put it mildly) for a council to impose a no-women rule. It would be more expected for a Council to refuse to lease to a club that didn't have a women's team. The only circumstance I can think of when a Council would even consider something like that would be if there was a very odd covenant placed on it by someone who left the Council the land in their will, and even then I'd expect them to try to wriggle out of it. This just isn't something that a Council is allowed to do.
I wonder if whatever agreement they currently have is for a set number of games per year and they somehow forgot to tell the council when they increased that number by playing women's games as well? In which case the Council's statement would amount to "you only hired this ground for use by one team and if you want more you'll have to pay for it".

Edited by Rhodes

3 hours ago, LondonEagle said:

So it appears the women's lease issue was all resolved on a short phone-call yesterday morning.       

LondonEagle - That may be the case however the Mayor, Tom Wootton, still needs to tender his resignation with immediate effect as he is not fit for purpose. BBC News have got wind of the story so there is no hiding place and the Bedfordshire FA have made a brief but damning statement (highlighted), also see local press coverage from the Bedford Independent and Bedford Today:

Real Bedford: Council blames error after women's football ban - BBC News

Statement - Real Bedford - Bedfordshire FA

Football Association to make formal complaint about Borough Council over Real Bedford lease renewal - Bedford Independent

'The mayor needs to resign immediately': Real Bedford stop ground lease negotiations with council over women’s football (bedfordtoday.co.uk)

Bedfordshire Football Association can confirm it has been working with Bedford Borough Council and Real Bedford Football Club to renew the lease at McMullen Park but was unsuccessful in negotiating a suitable lease for both parties. The County Football Association can also confirm a formal complaint will be submitted to the Monitoring Officer regarding the process and the lease that has been issued to Real Bedford Football Club.

On 10/04/2024 at 17:33, Cruz said:

Hi Rhodes. I believe Mick Collins is standing in the middle row on the far left? One other point I have heard rumours that Wellingborough Town have failed the ground grading as their changing rooms are too small despite Rushden @ Diamonds using the ground several years ago, both teams were hoping to use the Dog and Duck next season and play in the Southern League Div 1 Central next season. Any truth in those rumours?

Cruz - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, AFC Rushden & Diamonds will be remaining at Hayden Road although there is currently some bad feeling between the Club and Rushden & Higham United, see more on the SSML Ground Shares thread: 

AFC Rushden & Diamonds' Wellingborough move is OFF - club to stay at Hayden Road (northantstelegraph.co.uk)

Club Statement – AFC Rushden & Diamonds (afcdiamonds.com)

Returning to the Dog & Duck - Page 12 - The unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds messageboard (afcdiamondsforum.uk)

May be an image of text

On 10/05/2024 at 15:21, LondonEagle said:

Macron is same suppliers as last year although think the issues were only down to 1 person at Macron. Rhodes, I think provisional league allocations will be released on Monday, is. that correct?      

LondonEagle - On 20 May I believe so next Monday. Incidentally I expect you were waiting with bated breath for your local newsagent to open on Sunday morning to buy the Non League Paper, I had to laugh at some of the outlandish quotes (see links below) from player Carl Mensah and Lee Bircham, the latter who somehow managed to 'save face' getting Bedford Town over the line although congratulations to him for doing so. Lee seemed to think it was 'a done deal' that Bedford Town would have been placed in the Northern Premier League Division One Midlands next season had they not 'got out of Pentonville, sorry, Belmarsh and remained at Step 4, he made a good point that an unprecedented number of local Club's had been either relegated from Step 3, such as Hayes & Yeading United, Harrow Borough, Beaconsfield Town, Berkhamsted and Hitchin Town or promoted from Step 5, such as Real Bedford and Leverstock Green:

Mensah’s mindset is to fly with town aces - 12 May 2024 - The Non-League Football Paper - Readly

Eagles know their place! - 12 May 2024 - The Non-League Football Paper - Readly

A little early for Sunday (19 May) afternoon but let's get ready to rumble:

On 13/05/2024 at 15:03, LondonEagle said:

Never heard of that Cllr. but she shouldn't be involved if she has a conflict of interest. 

This is absolutely shocking isn't it particularly, taking into account, Real Bedford were not congratulated once by anyone whatsoever at Bedford Borough Council on their promotion, this season or last season:

2 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

This is absolutely shocking isn't it particularly, taking into account, Real Bedford were not congratulated once by anyone whatsoever at Bedford Borough Council on their promotion, this season or last season:

Hi Cruz - I can't see what you posted but nice to see you, how are things in Bolivia, I hope you are not affected by the floods some weeks ago. There are more comments over on another Forum, they really make themselves busy don't they and 'go right down into the weeds' but, to be fair, they are real Non League football 'connoisseurs', for want of a better word, and know their onions:

Could it be that with this latest dispute the truth lies, as it often does, halfway in between? I know there’s not much love for the Real Bedford owner on here but I’d not be massively impressed in his shoes either. And if you really think that he believes his club will play in the Premier League he’s done his work because it’s causing discussion and attracting attention and publicity hence the huge investment. You really think everyone who goes to a game at McMullen Park is there because they are aficionados of non league? A percentage will go to have fun which he’s creating while drinking beer and sticking two fingers up to convention. The same as at Clapton and Dulwich. A winning team just adds to it. And if the whole thing collapses it’s not a problem. Give me a few more Pete McCormack’s at Club's dying on their arses.

If Bedford FC had fizzled out, which would have happened eventually, on crowds of 40, Bedford Town could have expanded and grown the club on that site. Now Real Bedford are doing a great job on the pitch, but that site is no good for their long-term needs either. Neither Club can fulfil their potential whilst on effectively the same site, which is basically the issue the Council are trying to resolve for the medium-to-long term.

It is very unlikely that the land would be sold for housing due the its location, it has not appeared in the current or the proposed local plan to be anything but for recreation/leisure use.

But don't think that land is Council-owned. The Council are leasing land to 2 football Club's in a town which has never been football-mad when they have little money for essential services. Hardly surprising that if one of them declares they are making a big profit they will ask for some of that in return for leasing the land to them.

Very sad and also somewhat strange news folks, Luke Knight has left McMullen Park, Luke doesn't specifically indicate why he is leaving in the Club's statement below, I wonder whether he has been 'poached' by a higher Club or 'tapped up':

Luke Knight Departs Real Bedford | Real Bedford FC | Running Bitcoin

The Club can confirm Club Captain Luke Knight has left Real Bedford following the conclusion of the 2023/24 season. Thank you, Luke.

GNoRQJVWEAAW7rO?format=jpg&name=small

Sad to see Luke go. Hard to have legends on a club so young, but he was obviously a critical piece in two very successful campaigns. He'll be sorely missed!

8 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Very sad and also somewhat strange news folks, Luke Knight has left McMullen Park, Luke doesn't specifically indicate why he is leaving in the Club's statement below, I wonder whether he has been 'poached' by a higher Club or 'tapped up':

Luke Knight Departs Real Bedford | Real Bedford FC | Running Bitcoin

The Club can confirm Club Captain Luke Knight has left Real Bedford following the conclusion of the 2023/24 season. Thank you, Luke.

GNoRQJVWEAAW7rO?format=jpg&name=small

Luke Knight is older than you think, think almost 36. Maybe wants to stay in mote kocsl foorbsll at his age, Step 4 will be more travelling. Great player.