Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Hungerford

Reading Rebel

Hold your horses, Reading Rebel, when you say about Lewis Putman, you have to remember that he came to Slough as a striker into our team, not a left winger !

He hasn't been able to hold down a place as a striker but fortunately for him and for us he has turned out to be a very good left winger and has been a regular in the team, which I have wholeheartedly agreed with.

I wouldn't be sponsoring him in the programme if I thought he was useless, would I?

In actual fact I hoped he would succeed as a striker not a left winger but like you, can see how good he is on the left side.

However, no one player should be bigger than the team. Against Chesham, yes the opposition player's doubled up on him but this happens a lot in games and you have to expect that the opposition are going to do all they can to stop our movement/attacking play.

For me, he didn't have a great game on Boxing Day, regardless of the marking.

As we're playing Hungerford away next [a top 5 side] and with the Chesham match fresh in my mind, I would rather tighten up on the flanks to start the game with, hence why I would opt for Jhai Dhillon over Puts.

If we can contain Hungerford for the first 45 minutes and keep the scoreline down, we have a chance of getting at them in the second period and perhaps play a bit more gun-ho.

Then we could bring on Lewis if need be.

As for James Jepson, he has played 3 games for Slough so far and I've seen two of them and so have you, as both of us weren't at the Poole game, so we don't know how well he played there.

At the Merthyr game he played well in the first half but faded in the second half. Against Chesham,he hardly touched the ball but done the usual midfield baloney, where he shouted and told players what to do, without doing much himself ! Seemed to me that he went to the same midfield schooling as Adam Martin ! lol !

I'm not looking to slander James Jepson, as we know he hasn't been playing regularly for anyone and it takes time to become match fit.

He hasn't become a bad player overnight but Slough aren't a top side yet and so our centre midfield need workhorses mostly with a touch of flair but luxury players who don't contribute much aren't needed IMO.

If James Jepson plays against Hungerford, I hope he shows more than he did against Chesham, that's all I'm saying. 

When a team is on song, any player looks good but when a team isn't playing well, that's when you see those who are willing to make a stand.

Whoa there 3spirit   :lol:

Lewis Putman came to Slough as a striker with a proven track record. The only reason he is not one of our central strikers is because we were crying out for a left sided player and Putts fitted the bill due having played there before and not because he couldn't hold down a place as a striker.  

I don't think I said anywhere that you thought he was useless. As you say, along with most of the other players he didn't have a great game against Chesham but he wasn't by a long chalk one of the worst.

I'm not sure your idea of 'containment for the first 45 minutes' is something we would be very good at. Hopefully with Warren Harris fit to play I'd rather let Hungerford worry about our two wide players rather than be overly concerned about theirs.

Just a brief comment for 3spirit written defamation is libel not slander.

Thank you, David, for clearing that one up ! lol ! 

Whoa there 3spirit   :lol:

Lewis Putman came to Slough as a striker with a proven track record. The only reason he is not one of our central strikers is because we were crying out for a left sided player and Putts fitted the bill due having played there before and not because he couldn't hold down a place as a striker.  

I don't think I said anywhere that you thought he was useless. As you say, along with most of the other players he didn't have a great game against Chesham but he wasn't by a long chalk one of the worst.

I'm not sure your idea of 'containment for the first 45 minutes' is something we would be very good at. Hopefully with Warren Harris fit to play I'd rather let Hungerford worry about our two wide players rather than be overly concerned about theirs.

Each to their own.

If Warren Harris is fit, I agree I would play him,too. Still Jhai Dhillon for Lewis Putman for me, though.

I expect Bakes and Unders to only change Wazza for Sean and G.Hallahan for Hatchet.

3spirit, I am quite baffled by your selection and views as they completely contradict themselves.

You want to play a very attacking right side, but you stated you would drop players because they are 'weak in the tackle'. I haven't seen anything to suggest Warren Harris is strong in the tackle, so why not drop him too? We may as well drop Ryan Hope and Nathan Fox out of there also.

We play lovely attacking football and our 2 wide players are usually at centre stage. I don't think we should be fearing what Hungerford have to offer down the wings. How many times this season have you actually seen them play to know this?

Team selection for me should always contain your strongest starting 11, so I would never drop the most creative player we have for any other reason than a REALLY bad run of form and I cant imagine Baker and Underwood are about to drop our best player for a 'tackler'.

Anyway, you asked what team selection would be, so here's mine;

Scott, Fraser, Hicks, Hollis, Dillon, Harris, Jepson, Webb, Putman, Mpi, Hallahan.

We could even sign 10 more Daniel Hicks' and 'tackle' our way to the play-offs! :)

Happy new year everyone and COME ON YOU REBELS

3spirit, I am quite baffled by your selection and views as they completely contradict themselves.

You want to play a very attacking right side, but you stated you would drop players because they are 'weak in the tackle'. I haven't seen anything to suggest Warren Harris is strong in the tackle, so why not drop him too? We may as well drop Ryan Hope and Nathan Fox out of there also.

We play lovely attacking football and our 2 wide players are usually at centre stage. I don't think we should be fearing what Hungerford have to offer down the wings. How many times this season have you actually seen them play to know this?

Team selection for me should always contain your strongest starting 11, so I would never drop the most creative player we have for any other reason than a REALLY bad run of form and I cant imagine Baker and Underwood are about to drop our best player for a 'tackler'.

Anyway, you asked what team selection would be, so here's mine;

Scott, Fraser, Hicks, Hollis, Dillon, Harris, Jepson, Webb, Putman, Mpi, Hallahan.

We could even sign 10 more Daniel Hicks' and 'tackle' our way to the play-offs! :)

Happy new year everyone and COME ON YOU REBELS

Hello and welcome to the Slough Town forum, RebelJoe1971.

I change my mind like the weather ! ha ha ha!

Actually, as fans we don't know what players are going to be available and unavailable until our informative managers tell us.

I miscalculated about Ryan Hope in my team selection, as he still has a one match suspension to serve.

I didn't know Sean Fraser wouldn't be available or that Warren Harris would be.

Warren Harris is a battler, with Sean unavailable and Slough needing some creativity he has to play unless we give Gary Gokman a run out. I don't mind either.

If Adrian Sear is fit I would start him instead of James Jepson but given his unfortunate injuries, he may not be available either.

The one game I want to win at all costs, regardless of league positions, is our local derby home match against Chesham.

When we used to play Windsor I was equally impassioned about beating them.

Our beloved team were crap against Chesham, hence why I think we need the odd change or two for the very difficult game that is Hungerford, a team that is on a unbeaten run currently and sit 3rd in the table.

Lewis Putman is one of my favourite players currently but against Chesham he wasn't at his best. I'm not saying throw him out the team for good. I happen to think he would be better as an impact sub for this game, that is all.

I just want to see how Jhai Dhillon would play in front of our left back Nathan Fox. Jhai's been injured but deserve's some game time but not at the expense of Nathan Fox, who's been superb in every game he's played for Slough so far. 

Football nowadays is a squad game not just about first eleven.

We are all entitled to have an opinion, it doesn't matter a jot, as our managers will pick who they want anyway and I will cheer on whoever plays in the Slough shirt, regardless of what I say on here.

We would all love to be paid to be a Slough manager and have our dream teams but in reality we can only say what we see on here, which to me is better than not having a forum at all !  

Hope you can understand where I'm coming from now,RebelJoe1971.       

Edited by 3spirit

One other point I would like to make is about Boxing Day fixtures as a whole. Over the years many fail to live up to their billing and so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that this season's one wasn't the greatest spectacle.

Just so painful to lose to that lot up the road !........and again not do ourselves justice.

Ho-hum, sigh...............

Funny that players now, don't seem to be like the hardened drinkers of yester-year, and look like they keep an eye on in what keeps them fit. And yet we get the same offerings.

Perhaps it's something to do with turkey and trimmings ! ha ha ha !   

I can completely understand where you are coming from and I 100% agree about the forum. I actually have not been watching Slough for as long as you probably have. I only recently heard about the forum and it took me a while to actually find it   :lol: 

I agree that Warren Harris is a battler, he is very hard working for a winger. Lewis Putman is also a very hard worker. He may not make many tackles but I think his positioning has been very good and that is one of the most important parts in helping break down opposition attacks. Sometimes you don't need to put in tackles. If you are simply in position, the opposing winger/full back wont have the confidence in running at you with the ball. He may pass inside or go back towards his keeper and we can break down attacks in this way by pressing. A way in which I feel we have been excellent at and a lot of credit must go to the managers for this as I think they encourage it a great deal.

You have, however, made another one of those comments I do not agree with. 'Slough needing some creativity'. Ok, lets put our most creative player on the bench and play a left back in his position.

As a team, we were not at the races against Chesham, although I still think we worked really hard. I cant think of anyone who had a GOOD game. It didn't help with the stoppages the referee was needlessly making.

Hopefully you can now understand where I am coming from :)

Edited by RebelJoe1971

I understand where you are coming from,RebelJoe1971. You are entitled to say how you see it.

Lewis Putman has been a revelation this season for Slough. If you look back a few threads,on the thread 'best player so far this season', I had him as my 2nd choice behind Charlie Mpi who I had first, with Mark Scott third, so I hardly think I'm 'Putts'  biggest critic.

What's wrong with playing Jhai Dhillon, a left back, who can easily play as a left wing back, as a left winger?

To me it's good to explore what players can do and to have alternatives as cover, for when players are off-form or are injured.

Perhaps,RebelJoe1971, you are not as open minded as me in this regard but each to their own.     

Schedule heavily hit by the weather  Down here in the Southwest  only 2 out of 10 survive  In Central 3 out of 11   Anyone who really needs a football hit could go to Holloways where SYCOBs game is still on   currently just 5 out of 12 survive in our league.

Edited by Irishadrian