Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chesham United (Home) 26th December.

Irishadrian

Not one of the great Chesham sides we have played in the last few years, but they just did a bit better than us.

Think we need to play wider, as when we got the ball there was no width to release to and stretch the opposition.  At one point we had all of our players in only 1/3 of the width of the pitch.  At times we were so tight to each other that it was like headless turkeys flocking together (had to try and squeeze a xmas metaphor in somewhere!)

Highlight of the game was Warrens birthday cake - Happy birthday Brighton.

If we had had Wazza fit and playing we would have been able to use the width down the right more. Unfortunately we only had Putts down the left which on the day was snuffed out by Chesham doing their homework having two players closing him down. 

Poor display simple as that. Mom decision bewildering was a great word! Almost as bewildering as playing Scott Harris ahead of hallahan who scored 2 at Poole!! What a mockery that is of a decision, old pals act...

Anyway, been on a good run and look forward to the next game:

I'm pretty certain 'old pals act' had nothing to do with the decision to play Scott Harris instead of George Hallahan.

Even though I was surprised that George Hallahan was not in the starting eleven IMO I think it was a tactical decision to play Hatchett.

Chesham have big, solid, experienced defenders and in theory Hatchett was more likely to 'ruffle their feathers' than George. 

In hindsight it didn't pay off and I might be wrong but that is how I see the decision to play Hatchett over George.

If we had had Wazza fit and playing we would have been able to use the width down the right more. Unfortunately we only had Putts down the left which on the day was snuffed out by Chesham doing their homework having two players closing him down. 

Is this deja vu ?, apart from Wazza mention thought I'd already said this !

I used to be a parrot but I'm alright now, I used to be a parrot but I'm alright now ! lol ! 

I thought Chesham were the better side so deserved to win.

Chesham were much quicker and livelier in midfield and as such were able to control the game better. 

I didn't think Chesham were the better team.

They got lucky because the majority of our players were crap on the day ! Chesham scored a good goal and that was the difference.

100% correct RR. We went with strength and experience for what was always going to be a physical local derby. We felt George would have more impact from the bench.

Can assure you we don't have any favourites or 'old pals acts' when it comes to team selection.

Unders, understand your reasoning with Hatchet's inclusion but with hindsight [which is always easier!] you must feel it turned out to be the wrong decision.

For me, Hatchet and Charlie Mpi got dragged into the midfield to get the ball and both got penalised for fouls too often.

While the ref was whistle happy and over dramatized the situation,sometimes you have to stop keep giving away silly fouls, which in Scott's case was often.

Are we trying to make him believe that he has to be physical all the time?

I want him to score goals not be a battering ram !     

I didn't think Chesham were the better team.

They got lucky because the majority of our players were crap on the day ! Chesham scored a good goal and that was the difference.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion 3spirit but I'd say the vast majority thought Chesham were the better team on the day and deserved their win.

I'm not sure why Fraser is played as a right mid ahead of Gokmen (assuming he is fully fit) as Fraser has played there a few times and has never made an impact, he is far far better as a right back. Unlike Gokmen who is always full of energy and willingness to push forward and take people on and get into dangerous positions.

Hopefully gillis and hicks will have learnt a lot by playing an experienced player in Barry hayles. First half we struggled to get the ball off him at all but second half I think hicks and gillis learnt to play against him which hopefully will help them in the future when playing against big strong strikers.

I'm not sure why Fraser is played as a right mid ahead of Gokmen (assuming he is fully fit) as Fraser has played there a few times and has never made an impact, he is far far better as a right back. Unlike Gokmen who is always full of energy and willingness to push forward and take people on and get into dangerous positions.

Hopefully gillis and hicks will have learnt a lot by playing an experienced player in Barry hayles. First half we struggled to get the ball off him at all but second half I think hicks and gillis learnt to play against him which hopefully will help them in the future when playing against big strong strikers.

Sometimes it's good to try out players in new positions. Having brought Ryan Case in, with Wazza being out,

I suppose Bakes and Unders are having a good look at what Case offers, which is a good thing.

From his performance yesterday, Ryan Case looked ok, without setting the world alight. 

Felt sorry for Gary Gokman though, as he rarely gets a chance of proving himself and whenever I've seen him he looks a very good prospect and a good understudy for Wazza [or Jake if he ever gets fit again].

In fact I'd like to see 'Gary' have a run of games to see if he can cut it. 

Seems harsh on Sean Fraser, though, who of late has been playing exceptional at right back but sometimes its good to have an alternative in that position. Whether Ryan Case is the answer remains to be seen.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion 3spirit but I'd say the vast majority thought Chesham were the better team on the day and deserved their win.

Think I've just got the hump with losing.

Hate losing to Chesham especially to a team that I consider less special to what they were, a few seasons back.

Had the real Slough team turned up, I think we could have won, so it's galling to lose [again] to them.   

Sometimes it's good to try out players in new positions. Having brought Ryan Case in, with Wazza being out,

I suppose Bakes and Unders are having a good look at what Case offers, which is a good thing.

From his performance yesterday, Ryan Case looked ok, without setting the world alight. 

Felt sorry for Gary Gokman though, as he rarely gets a chance of proving himself and whenever I've seen him he looks a very good prospect and a good understudy for Wazza [or Jake if he ever gets fit again].

In fact I'd like to see 'Gary' have a run of games to see if he can cut it. 

Seems harsh on Sean Fraser, though, who of late has been playing exceptional at right back but sometimes its good to have an alternative in that position. Whether Ryan Case is the answer remains to be seen.

My first view of Ryan Case and really I liked what I saw. I thought he was one of our better players.

He seemed composed on the ball and comfortable bringing the ball out of defence. 

Gurkan is relatively young and if he stays with us is certainly a good prospect for the future.

Perhaps in the league cup or in games later on in the season he might be able to get more game time to impress.

There was a reason Ryan Case started at 2 instead of Sean which will be apparent shortly.....Sean played where he did to help out the team which he clearly did. Disappointing attitude of Chesham players as it was them who started the bits of trouble....not the sort of tactics usually employed by Andy Leese sides.We were pretty poor and were not up for it so much as them.......it is so wrong that we sometimes have tgo dsay this about our team as they surely should be .up for every match. We know that we have players who can compete in this league, and indeed compete well, yet some of them looked as if they would rather be home for a continuation of Christmas festivities.

MOTM............truly difficult as most outfield players would not deserve it so Mark Scott for me.

Lets hope the boys decide they might quite like to win at Hungerford next week

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!!!!

I get what you are saying and that it's not an old pals act, maybe that is not the case...

Facts are hatchet has lots on with work and at home and so is declared unavailable for several weeks... Bring a young lad on loan who pops up and scored a couple against league leaders.... Instead of rewarding that with a start we go with the lads who was not there for the last month for whatever reason!

How can that be right! If any of us were hallahan we would be happy with that? I just don't see it.

"Think we need to play wider, as when we got the ball there was no width to release to and stretch the opposition.  At one point we had all of our players in only 1/3 of the width of the pitch.  At times we were so tight to each other that it was like headless turkeys flocking together (had to try and squeeze a xmas metaphor in somewhere!)"

For RR and 3spirit I will spell it out (the answer is there if you read the post properly first time)

Need to "play wider" is when there are players across the pitch, if this does not happen then there will be "no width", this happened because "all of our players in only 1/3 of the width of the pitch" which means that if the pitch is 60 yards wide, our players occupied only 20 yards of the pitch which left them "so tight to each other ", leaving 40 yards of the pitch with no Slough player in to release the ball to and break away.

"Think we need to play wider, as when we got the ball there was no width to release to and stretch the opposition.  At one point we had all of our players in only 1/3 of the width of the pitch.  At times we were so tight to each other that it was like headless turkeys flocking together (had to try and squeeze a xmas metaphor in somewhere!)"

For RR and 3spirit I will spell it out (the answer is there if you read the post properly first time)

Need to "play wider" is when there are players across the pitch, if this does not happen then there will be "no width", this happened because "all of our players in only 1/3 of the width of the pitch" which means that if the pitch is 60 yards wide, our players occupied only 20 yards of the pitch which left them "so tight to each other ", leaving 40 yards of the pitch with no Slough player in to release the ball to and break away.

I mentioned this quite a few threads ago. Rebel Delaney will vouch for me, as we've discussed it at matches, when we see it happen. It just seems to be part of the modern game, where every player moves near the ball and you see it in game after game.

I wondered why we don't position a player on the wing or in the acres of space [ opposite to the ball, by the half way linel] for a cross field pass for the fast breakout ] but it never seems to happen, so I wonder if it has become an unwritten rule/against etiquette because no one ever tries it.

Against Chesham, we looked bereft of ideas of how to break through them and resorted depressingly to booting aimless long balls from our defence to no one in particular.

To me the occasional long ball isn't a problem especially on a winter pitch but overuse is a waste of the talents of the players we've got and stinks of desperation and lack of belief from the Slough players out on the pitch.

We've got improve on this. 

My first view of Ryan Case and really I liked what I saw. I thought he was one of our better players.

He seemed composed on the ball and comfortable bringing the ball out of defence. 

Gurkan is relatively young and if he stays with us is certainly a good prospect for the future.

Perhaps in the league cup or in games later on in the season he might be able to get more game time to impress.

I thought Ryan Case looked better going forward and as you say was comfortable on the ball.

My concern was that he seemed to think he was the bees knees and had a bit of an attitude, as though he thought he was better than many of the Slough players around him. I may be mistaken about him but that is how it appeared to me.

So unlike our other full back on the day, Nathan Fox who has been a credit to himself and to that of the Slough shirt.

Nathan has been willing to roll up his sleeves and battle for his team mates regardless of whether he's going to be a permanent fixture with Slough or not.

Who would you rather have in your team, RR ?

Hopefully I wrong about Ryan Case as I've only seen him in one game for Slough. Though I'm sure I've seen him play for someone else, before [my memory get's worse!].

I would like to see Sean Fraser as the right back and Ryan Case in front of him to see what that's like.

Not looking to slag Ryan off especially after only seeing him in one game. Just thought I'd give an alternate view on how I saw it.   

I thought Ryan Case looked better going forward and as you say was comfortable on the ball.

My concern was that he seemed to think he was the bees knees and had a bit of an attitude, as though he thought he was better than many of the Slough players around him. I may be mistaken about him but that is how it appeared to me.

So unlike our other full back on the day, Nathan Fox who has been a credit to himself and to that of the Slough shirt.

Nathan has been willing to roll up his sleeves and battle for his team mates regardless of whether he's going to be a permanent fixture with Slough or not.

Who would you rather have in your team, RR ?

Hopefully I wrong about Ryan Case as I've only seen him in one game for Slough. Though I'm sure I've seen him play for someone else, before [my memory get's worse!].

I would like to see Sean Fraser as the right back and Ryan Case in front of him to see what that's like.

Not looking to slag Ryan off especially after only seeing him in one game. Just thought I'd give an alternate view on how I saw it.   

I certainly didn't notice that about Ryan Case even though I do think there is nothing wrong with players having confidence in their ability and a certain amount of attitude.

I agree with you as regards Nathan Fox since he's been with us. Because of where he lives (Leicester area I think) I'd say it's almost impossible for Nathan Fox to stay with us long term. Besides once he is fit Jhai Dhillon is also a very good left back and relatively local.

I.m with you Rebel 1965 i always like to see wingers and width in our team all this bunching does my head in does.nt matter when during our poor spell and in our great spell.

I did put post about it after the Dorking game where i was going mad being the better Side we should of had width ditate the game and let the opposition worry about us and not the other way round.

Frome weymouth and other do this.

Funny thing was after the Dorking game my next match was to see See Swindon S/marine and they played with 20 players in quarter of the pitch was not happy.

We all have our different views on team formations but just have accept it and support the team what ever.

I mentioned this quite a few threads ago. Rebel Delaney will vouch for me, as we've discussed it at matches, when we see it happen. It just seems to be part of the modern game, where every player moves near the ball and you see it in game after game.

I wondered why we don't position a player on the wing or in the acres of space [ opposite to the ball, by the half way linel] for a cross field pass for the fast breakout ] but it never seems to happen, so I wonder if it has become an unwritten rule/against etiquette because no one ever tries it.

Against Chesham, we looked bereft of ideas of how to break through them and resorted depressingly to booting aimless long balls from our defence to no one in particular.

To me the occasional long ball isn't a problem especially on a winter pitch but overuse is a waste of the talents of the players we've got and stinks of desperation and lack of belief from the Slough players out on the pitch.

We've got improve on this. 

Other than WEYMOUTH