Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

(A) Poole Town 19th Dec

Glover

Sounds a bit like the obnoxious Corby manager.

He is actually a nice bloke, I was talking to him before the match. He is very driven just like Jon and Neil.

I think his 'outpouring' was meant to shake up his players ahead of the holiday fixtures, he is very aware of what went wrong last season and admits his team are 'one of the better teams in the league' -from the horses mouth there RR.

Certainly not a nasty bloke like the Corby manager but does wear his heart on his sleeve.

Didn't choose Xmas shopping, can't stand it! After last week's very long drive I couldn't face another, especially with the expectation of a loss. How delighted I was to see the FT score!

Went to Staines v Wingate & Finchley. Enjoyed the game albeit a bit smash and grab by the latter. Luke Wanadio starred for Staines and a few ex-Maidenhead players were on view for W&F.

Attended my first match this season and very please is an understatement!

The Girlfriend bought train tickets and booked a hotel as a birthday present and I was fully expecting us to lose but I couldn't be more wrong!

Great performance and my MOTM was Charlie Mpi. Never gave up on anything and chased down lost causes which apparently he does every week!

Hope to make last home game of the season V Kings Lynn.

An unexpected point which helps us get ever closer to safety. 4 points from the last three games I think was the managers aim.

Assuming the bottom four continue roughly with there current points per game 42-43 points will see teams safe. We are currently on 36 and projected (based on points per game) to end on 63-64 so should be well safe and pushing for upper mid table.

An unexpected point which helps us get ever closer to safety. 4 points from the last three games I think was the managers aim.

Assuming the bottom four continue roughly with there current points per game 42-43 points will see teams safe. We are currently on 36 and projected (based on points per game) to end on 63-64 so should be well safe and pushing for upper mid table.

Another Mystic Meg !

The prediction leagues are an amusing distraction but early in the season wildly inaccurate Footballwebpages runs a weekly one on our league updated weekly  We are currently predicted to finish 16th  Im sure most of us expect better. halfway through September we were relegation candidates! They can always claim to be fairly accurate because their predictions change as the weeks pass and the table evolves but all they do is reflect the results as they occur  In the last few weeks of a season they are almost spot on.

Your point being? Or are you having a swipe?

The calculations for rough table finishes are well tested and proven.

I was being facetious !

Rebel1965 can look it up in a dictionary.

What I was alluding to is, that it's impossible to predict how matches are going to go, you only have to look at this season.

The managers thought their assembled squad at the start of the season would do well and it didn't. Changes needed to be made in order for results to improve.

Our team has got better but we have no guarantees that our results will keep being good especially with the amount of injuries we keep getting.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that our squad/team has steadily improved this season. However, we haven't added consistency yet, to take for granted that we will be likely of getting the points on any match day.

Fair play, Staines Rebel Jnr and Glover for being interested in statistics and knowing their stuff. I'm not really one for such things. 

.........and fair play to Rebel1965 for sticking up for his son !

Good Will to all Men [and women, gulp if Sue's reading it ! ] ha ha  ha !  

Just a few words from me on that word "consistency" as it's talked about a lot on this forum and it's something that Bakes and I have a view on.

I think 95% of people around the club would be happy with a top half finish this season, something like 10th-12th would be seen as a good job done and an improvement on the 16th place finish we had last time.

For the record last season Chippenham came 11th with 61 points from 44 games, a return of 1.4 points per game. So therefore from 46 games to be played this season this would mean a points total of 64 points would be needed to make most people happy.

To achieve this PPG ratio everyone is basically saying they are happy over the course of the season for us to "win one, lose one, win one, lose one" etc......but if and when we do this people complain that we are not consistent enough! And when we lost two on the bounce recently (King's Lynn & Stratford) 1 or 2 people started talking about a relegation battle again, even though in the previous month we were awarded SLP team of the month! Mid table teams are by their nature "inconsistent"....if they were "consistent" over 46 games they would probably be in the play-offs!!

In our past 15 games (which is a third of the season) we have picked up 27 points which is 1.8 points per game so I would argue that we are on the right tracks for consistency but of course nothing is guaranteed and we may well have a bad patch in the 2nd half of the season as every team seems to do in this very competitive league. Even if our form drops off a little though and we only pick up 1.4 PPG over the remaining 20 games that will be 28 more points, bringing us to that total of 64 that I mentioned above as being good enough for a 10th-12th place finish.

So I guess what I'm saying is relax a little, accept a little bit of "inconsistency", enjoy the ride, we'll have good months and not so good months but as long as we keep working hard and picking up points we'll be just fine! I can assure you that Bakes and I are both far more ambitious than aiming for 10th-12th place finishes but we need to progress a step at a time and our personal view is that we are very much going in the right direction.

Happy Christmas everyone, look forward to seeing you all on Boxing Day!

Unders

(ps. sorry it was more than "a few words", I got a bit carried away! :D )

Edited by Jon Underwood

I was being facetious !

Rebel1965 can look it up in a dictionary.

What I was alluding to is, that it's impossible to predict how matches are going to go, you only have to look at this season.

The managers thought their assembled squad at the start of the season would do well and it didn't. Changes needed to be made in order for results to improve.

Our team has got better but we have no guarantees that our results will keep being good especially with the amount of injuries we keep getting.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that our squad/team has steadily improved this season. However, we haven't added consistency yet, to take for granted that we will be likely of getting the points on any match day.

Fair play, Staines Rebel Jnr and Glover for being interested in statistics and knowing their stuff. I'm not really one for such things. 

.........and fair play to Rebel1965 for sticking up for his son !

Good Will to all Men [and women, gulp if Sue's reading it ! ] ha ha  ha !  

He does not need me to stand up for him, he is big and ugly enough to do that for himself, it was your condescending comment on a valid point. Can someone show Stuart how to use a dictionary please.

Bah humbug!

That's impossible to tell with the written word, as any reader cannot see your body language when you wrote it, and each reader will put their own slant on what you actually meant

True, HR,what you say here.

I knew I would get reaction, that's what makes the forum have debates !

If I hadn't wrote my comment, we wouldn't have got that in depth explanation from Unders !

So what's wrong with the odd jape or two? 

As long as it isn't intended as offensive,abusive or some personal attack, where's the harm?   

I did think about putting an lol or ha ha or a smiley after my Mystic Meg comment but that makes it look like I'm taking the piss [even more], so decided not to.  

Edited by 3spirit

Unders, consistency to me means when Slough are challenging for the title.

The current team are a long way from that. Though, the team are improving all the time and are producing great games to watch.

You never know what you are going to get with our team but that does make it exciting and annoying at the same time !

From my view, I'd be satisfied if we finish  anywhere been 10th and12th. I'd be ok if we finish above last season's position[16th I think?], as least that shows an improvement of sorts.

If we can get in the top 10 I'd be delighted and if miracles happen and we manage to make the top 6, I'd be dancing through hoops !  ha ha ! 

Think you mean top 5 as that's the play-off places! I think the vast majority would take any improvement on last seasons finish, as long as you're improving you can't be too upset can you? Happy Christmas to you all and really looking forward to some fresh air, big crowd (500+?) and atmosphere on Saturday!