Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

(H) Merthyr 15th Dec

staines_rebel_Jr

Warren had a dead calf from the poor tackle on the half way line after about 5 minutes (which went unpunished) it seized up at half time, and he was unable to continue.

Not going to comment to much on some of the comments we heard today, but some disappointing things, considering the changes that were enforced which would hurt most sides, thus changing the shape and the game plan.

Anyone moaning about the players not giving enough in those conditions must be clueless ! 

Warren had a dead calf from the poor tackle on the half way line after about 5 minutes (which went unpunished) it seized up at half time, and he was unable to continue.

Not going to comment to much on some of the comments we heard today, but some disappointing things, considering the changes that were enforced which would hurt most sides, thus changing the shape and the game plan.

Bakes, I shouldn't worry about the idiots who obviously couldn't fathom out that the pattern of the game changing and having to do a lot of defending was largely due to the enforced substitutions to key players.

Edited by Reading Rebel

SRJ has pretty much summed up the in's and outs of the game.

I thought Merthyr deserved a lot of credit for not giving up when they were 3-0 down and rattled Slough in the second half, when we had to make changes for injuries.

On the night I was impressed by Nathan Webb's contribution, as well as Charlie Mpi's constant running and battling and of course, Putts efforts,and Scotty in goal, who produced one breath-taking save among other good stops.

Nathan Fox looked a very competent full back, who got better as the game wore on. Fair play to him coming all that way and putting in that effort.   

James Jepson had a good first half but it's understandable that he faded in the second, given his match fitness but had plenty of promise.

Credit to both sides for making it an enjoyable match to watch, in what was very difficult conditions.

Bummer about Ed Smith as he looks like he may be out for sometime. What has happened to Charlie Strutton? Has he gone back to Braintree? It will be sod's law if he has, now that Ed looks unlikely to play for sometime.

Unders said at the game that he's hoping that Guy Hollis's injury may not be as serious as Ed's.

Let's hope so ! 

Yes, will be interesting to hear what happened to Charlie Strutton as he was in the original squad for tonight.

I don't think he can go back to Braintree until the loan period expires at the end of the Month.

In the press box / commentary box you can't here too many comments but to me there were no players who didn't put the effort in. On a heavy pitch like tonight's plus the run around on Saturday it is very understandable that players were tired towards the end of the game.

Despite being second best second half there was nothing worrying about our performance tonight. Only worrying thing is the injuries which seem to be building up. Right now it feels like one player gets back to fitness then two get injured.

Have to give the managers credit, always seem to find some good players to fill in; Dhillon, Stonehouse, Benjamin, Fox and Jepson

Bakes, I shouldn't worry about the idiots who obviously couldn't fathom out that the pattern of the game changing and having to do a lot of defending was largely due to the enforced substitutions to key players.

Not disagreeing RR but I also think you have to credit Merthyr, as they are a very accomplished footballing side who never gave up and on another day may have pinched a draw.

Had it not of been so wet underneath, we may have seen an even better game and I've no doubt they would have created even more problems for us.

Still, a very good effort from our lads tonight and great to bounce back from Saturday, for a well earned 3 points.  

Charlie had a problem with his ankle, he was there tonight, however is seeing the surgeon tomorrow that operated initially on his ankle when he broke it, and he did not want to make it any worse.

Charlie goes back after the Boxing Day game, but not convinced he will be fit between now and then, though we shall wait and see.

Scott Harris will be back shortly, either the Chesham or Hungerford game, and depending on which one it is, will depend a little on what we do there.

My only questionable decision was taking wazza off whilst ed was receiving treatment when it wasn't clear he had a knock also but Neil has explained that now which clarifies things.

The negativity from some fans was quite bewildering in the second half. We were 3-0 up playing a good team who had just received a halftime rollicking (I'm sure) and on top of that we lost 3 players within 10 minutes and, with what we had available on the bench, this naturally changed our shape and tempo. However, we ran out 3-1 winners - anyone listening to some people behind the goal would think we'd lost 6-1 again!!!

The penalty, to me, was as clear cut a decision as you'll ever see; reckless, no, rash, yes and would be punished anywhere else on the pitch so should be in the area as well. The first 2 goals were also fantastically well worked.

Fox looked a very tidy player, jepson not as impressive but feel there is a LOT more to come.

Neil/Jon - hope you know the vast majority went away more than satisfied tonight - a great effort by the pair of you and the team to bounce back from Saturday.

Charlie had a problem with his ankle, he was there tonight, however is seeing the surgeon tomorrow that operated initially on his ankle when he broke it, and he did not want to make it any worse.

Charlie goes back after the Boxing Day game, but not convinced he will be fit between now and then, though we shall wait and see.

Scott Harris will be back shortly, either the Chesham or Hungerford game, and depending on which one it is, will depend a little on what we do there.

With Ed Smith very doubtful it sounds like we could well only have one forward available for the Poole game?

Not disagreeing RR but I also think you have to credit Merthyr, as they are a very accomplished footballing side who never gave up and on another day may have pinched a draw.

Had it not of been so wet underneath, we may have seen an even better game and I've no doubt they would have created even more problems for us.

Still, a very good effort from our lads tonight and great to bounce back from Saturday, for a well earned 3 points.  

Certainly agree with you that some credit has to go to Merthyr who do play some very good football. They obviously had to give it a real go in the second half and with Ed Smith and Wazza going off it give them the perfect opportunity to throw even more players forward to put us under some real pressure.

But for the saves from Mark Scott we could have let the 3-0 lead slip which over the course of the 90 minutes would have been a bit of a travesty of justice.

Edited by Reading Rebel

With Ed Smith very doubtful it sounds like we could well only have one forward available for the Poole game?

We may have to opt for Lewis Putman up front with Charlie Mpi and if Jhai Dillion is fit we could play him on the left wing.

Whatever we do, not great for a match against the league leaders.   

RR your right missed a cracking game alot of rain in Swindon was not looking forward to driving in those conditions.

Great commentry by Ade and SRJ.

Superb credit to the management and team's hard work coming back with a fantastic win after saturday's game.

What was all the moaning about the injuries did not help at a crucial time.

St Neots at home last season could not get 3 points after being 3 Nil up at half time.

Look forward to game v Poole

COYREBELS

Good first half which got the job done, cracking goal from Lewis, but with the growing list of injuries in the second it was a case of hold on to the lead.

There was a purpose about the team tonight to get the result and this delivered.

With the amount of injuries and Poole's league position not expecting much on Saturday, but still hope those who do play will give it a go.

Fortunately for those who could not make it, some extremely talented (and handsome) fellow captured Slough's goals on camera and can be viewed on Slough's twitter timeline. 

@sloughtown

Warren Harris' opener: 

https://twitter.com/sloughtown/status/676858312047075328

Lewis Putman's strike: 

https://twitter.com/sloughtown/status/676860744386916357

Ed Smith's penalty: 

https://twitter.com/sloughtown/status/676867489641312256

If you're not following the club on Twitter already, please do so! 

Just wanted to add, well done to the players last night for the reaction after the Weymouth match. Cracking first half and some dogged defending in heavy conditions in the second. Good performances in both halves for very different reasons and most importantly three points against a good Merthyr outfit. 

1st half was great to watch but the second was messy not having a pop at the players but it was. I wasn't moaning at the game because as long as we walk out with 3 points that's all I care about. Shame about the injurys 3 big players for us so hoping not too long.... Also Twitter that foul on Ed in penalty area is a poor video! Being there you can tell it was a foul but on a poor video u can't see properly as you can tell by the comments. Although they are all merthyr fans