Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Weymouth v Slough

Windsor Rebel

Neil the first goal wasn't a "worldie" as you put it, the shot took a big deflection to take it away from Mark Scott.

This thing about players ages is rubbish really, as the saying goes - if you are good enough then your old enough". Also Hope's age has never been questioned when played well so why question it when he doesn't.

It is by no means a dig at Hope as I do like him and do respect him as a player as when he came in he had to wait quite a while to get into the team even when chances came and others were picked ahead of him but he waited patiently and when the time came he took his chances. To me he isn't the best of our midfielders (not too far behind) but he always gives 100% and that is all we ask for.

Reading Rebel almost everyone who actually went has agreed with me that Weymouth would have won if we would have been at our best so stop trying to say we wouldn't when you have no idea how good they were!!!

Edited by staines_rebel_Jr

Neil the first goal wasn't a "worldie" as you put it, the shot took a big deflection to take it away from Mark Scott.

This thing about players ages is rubbish really, as the saying goes - if you are good enough then your old enough". Also Hope's age has never been questioned when played well so why question it when he doesn't.

It is by no means a dig at Hope as I do like him and do respect him as a player as when he came in he had to wait quite a while to get into the team even when chances came and others were picked ahead of him but he waited patiently and when the time came he took his chances. To me he isn't the best of our midfielders (not too far behind) but he always gives 100% and that is all we ask for.

Reading Rebel almost everyone who actually went has agreed with me that Weymouth would have won if we would have been at our best so stop trying to say we wouldn't when you have no idea how good they were!!!

Well not that makes much difference, but from where we were as soon as he hit it we said goal (as he struck it so well), , and i am sure when i see the goal back on video, i will not see any major deflection... i could be wrong, but don't think so, but as i only saw it in real time like you i cant be 100% sure.

Edited by Neil Baker

Since our optimum team wasnt available frankly no-one can say how they would have performed Weymouth are not the super team some are suggesting Ive just looked at the updated form table over the last eight league games Including their victory over us yesterday Weymouth are 12th we are 15th Both teams having a patchy period of losses draws and wins Weymouth looked great yesterday because the team we put out was so dreadful No reason why a full strength Slough wouldnt have won

RR with what they have at their disposal last year this year next year we might beat them once in a while but they will still be a class above us and there is no shame in that just a fact in my opinion.

Since our optimum team wasnt available frankly no-one can say how they would have performed Weymouth are not the super team some are suggesting Ive just looked at the updated form table over the last eight league games Including their victory over us yesterday Weymouth are 12th we are 15th Both teams having a patchy period of losses draws and wins Weymouth looked great yesterday because the team we put out was so dreadful No reason why a full strength Slough wouldnt have won

My point exactly Irish.

I think this demonstrates how big an impact the 2 Oxford lads had on performances. It only needs a couple of players to make a difference by bossing sections of the field and this protects the goal and creates scoring chances.

This is the difference at this level - yesterday there were no "bosses" in amber shirts, but games like Dorchester at home and Chesham in the league cup were controlled and bossed.

SRJ, I make that two people.

It's about opinions but i still say with a full squad and at our best there is no way you can say for sure that we would still have lost.

I think this demonstrates how big an impact the 2 Oxford lads had on performances. It only needs a couple of players to make a difference by bossing sections of the field and this protects the goal and creates scoring chances.

This is the difference at this level - yesterday there were no "bosses" in amber shirts, but games like Dorchester at home and Chesham in the league cup were controlled and bossed.

....also games more recently like dunstable and biggleswade where we controlled and bossed both games and won them both....long after the two Oxford lads had gone back. Are we really going to have to talk about those two loan players every time we play poorly and/or lose?

You can play brilliantly and win

You can play brilliantly and lose

You can play really poor and win

You can play really poor and lose

EVERYONE knows we were really poor yesterday. Fans, players, and management.

The most important thing now is Tuesday night and the players performing well again and the supporters supporting them.

Trust me, with what I have going on at home at the moment (life and death situation) arguing over something that has been and gone is not that important.

What is ahead, is the important thing, using the lessons learnt from the past

Edited by HorshamRebel

....also games more recently like dunstable and biggleswade where we controlled and bossed both games and won them both....long after the two Oxford lads had gone back. Are we really going to have to talk about those two loan players every time we play poorly and/or lose?

1st time I have mentioned the Oxford lads.

I was trying to be constructive.

But yes, the Dunstable and Biggleswade games were bossed and the results came.

Neil I was stood directly behind the goal we were attacking and so was directly behind the shot and definetly took a deflection, I think off of clayton who was trying to block it.

Gary's photos kind of show it, images 46 to 49.

Anyway doesn't matter, we move onto Tuesday with a chance to get another three points and move ever closer to guarenteed safety.

Any idea whether Webb or any of the others will be fit in time. Also will Warren be back?

I have to admit that as supporters we could have been better yesterday especially when compared to Weymouth but when we are missing the big voices (those behind the goal know who they are) we are quieter. It is hard to be positive during a game like yesterday but we could have been better. Some of us need to take over and start chants when the likes of Radders, Marcus and others can't make it. It just takes one person to start a chant and commit to it for others to join.

Edited by staines_rebel_Jr

Reading Rebel what exactly from Weymouths performance yesterday makes you think our best team would have beaten them ???

SRJ, you think there is no way we would have beaten Weymouth yesterday even if we were able to play our strongest 11 and playing to our optimum.

Weymouth were at their best and we were at our worst. I think there is no way you could possibly know for certain how the game would have panned out if both teams were at their best.

As I said it's about opinions so i think it would be for the best if we just agree to disagree on this point.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Warren will be back, we will have at least one new midfielder (who most will know of) and we hope to have another new player, because by the looks of it we cant be sure on Jhai Searsy or Nath, so myself and Jon have been on the phone for most of today trying to sort a couple out (of which one we have got over the line subject to getting paperwork done tomorrow).

However as I said in a previous post we don't have a magic wand, but lets be honest central midfield is the place where you need to be as strong as possible (especially in this league), a decent central midfield can help protect the back 4, and enable us to dicate the game, we had Nathan, Searsy and Rummy (all of whom are good players at this level) missing... big big loss... however plugging those misses is even harder...

SRJ, you think there is no way we would have beaten Weymouth yesterday even if we were able to play our strongest 11 and playing to our optimum.

Weymouth were at their best and we were at our worst. I think there is no way you could possibly know for certain how the game would have panned out if both teams were at their best.

As I said it's about opinions so i think it would be for the best if we just agree to disagree on this point.

So using the same logic if we play our best XI and play to our best against Merhtyr's unknown performance on tuesday will we beat them ?

So using the same logic if we play our best XI and play to our best against Merhtyr's unknown performance on tuesday will we beat them ?

You're the one who's predicting an outcome and saying we'd have lost against Weymouth yesterday regardless of what performance we had put in.

I'm saying there's no way anyone can foretell what would have happened if both teams had turned up and not just one.

As I said it's a pretty meaningless point that is a matter of opinion that cannot be proved one way or the other so is probably best just to agree to disagree.  

So we started with a 3-4-3 formation (?)..... was that with Fraser at right midfield, Gokmen left midfield, and Putnam and Mpi flanking Smith up front?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.... but did anyone that was at the match and saw that starting line up think it was a possible winning side at Weymouth?

I don't know what all the fuss is about !. We've lost one game. So what !

Out of the Weymouth, Merthyr and Poole matches, realistically I was expecting a return of three or four points, anything else would be a bonus.

Merthyr home match being the most likely place to secure the three points.

Losing to anyone 6-1 would look bad but taking into account our squad injuries/players missing, I think people need to get real with their expectations.

As for trying out a new formation, I applaud the gumption for trying it, whether we've won, drawn or lost.

Formation changes take time to work, however you do it.

A 3-4-3 could easy work against someone else. By the sounds of it we changed the formation quickly anyway, when 2-0 down and with Webby getting hurt.

From my perspective we are crying out for a half decent left footed squad player, who is back up to Jhai Dhillon and Lewis Putman. A player who can do a job at left back or on the left wing or occasionally in midfield. Mainly to help out when players are out injured or to freshen up the line up. I can think of three relatively cheap left sided players from the central league, who are ex Slough players who could do that sort of job and I'm sure our managers know of others. So puzzles me why they haven't got one.

Sean Fraser doesn't play well at left back and Guy Hollis hasn't played well at right back for a good while, so for me I can't see why we persist with this.

Guy Hollis is our best centre half and Sean Fraser is our best right back and can play centre midfield if needed but as a left back, it just doesn't work.

I have faith that we can beat Merthyr, regardless of the result at Weymouth. So let's back our team.

Edited by 3spirit

What I don't understand is that we lined up 3-4-3 because we thought Weymouth would play a certain way..... within two minutes wasn't it obvious Weymouth weren't playing the expected way?

So why didn't we change our formation immediately rather than wait until we were 2-0 down before doing so?

Last season we lost four league matches by four or more goals and didn't follow any of those with a win, and lost to Biggleswade by four this season and didn't follow that with a win either..... a heavy defeat is a big psychological blow, and Merthyr will be looking to take advantage of it on Tuesday.