Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Aging crowds

Stuntman Mark

First match at the Dolphin when the floodlights were erected. Could see them from my bedroom window, and went whenever they were on. Went to every match, home and away one season, on the supporters coach. Was about 15.

My boys' first match was Stafford v Slough. 3-0 down at half-time due to Stan Collymore. Won 3-4 and they were hooked! Go to all local matches now, and travel down occasionally.

Suggest we target the houses near to the stadium, and encourage the regulars to invite friends and neighbours, perhaps with free tickets.

1969 for me going with Dad to the Dolphin big crowds top players big clubs.

Been so good to have watched players make big names for themselves in the pro game.

Steve Heighway Alan Devonshire Eric Young Dave kemp paul Barron and Brian McDermet.

To name a few.

Lucky to have watched Enfield Sutton Hendon and Dagerham to name a few in their hayday top quality sides.

I follow this forum with great interest as I have known Bakes and Unders since their playing days at Bracknell Town.

I think your problem with getting numbers through the gates at non league games is due to the massive number of plastic fans who say they support the big clubs.

I live and work in Bracknell and have 3 guys on my team who live in Slough. One is a Liverpool fan and to be fair to him he does travel up to Anfield around 6 times a season and he was also aware that Slough had its own team.

The 2 so called Man U fans have not only never been to Old Trafford they have never even been to Manchester, Neither of them even knew about a club in Slough.

I don't know how you can get around this problem, I was in a supermarket on Saturday evening and saw 2 guys shopping wearing Man U shirts, This was at the same time that their so called beloved team were live on the telly.  (real fans it seems).

Best of luck with your new stadium, I will come over and watch when its built.

My first game was the season opener in Aug 61  home v Dorking  Rebels won comfortably 3-0   Went to the next home game against Erith and Belvedere  1-1  The main topic of conversation at this game amongst the fairly large group by the tote was how heavily we would be beaten on the Saturday by the favourites to be champions  Dagenham  No-one gave us a chance    Result  Dagenham 3   Slough Town 4  Happy days  and so long ago.

Must aiso add not only top players who left Slough to play in the pro game but all the top players not only at Slough but all the non league teams who did not make the transition in the early days due to job sercurity and money.

So many more would of made big names for themselves given the chance.

Longshot can remember being on the coach in the days when we were in the Conference and we passed another coach with banners we are the Torquay utd, Man Utd supporters club they should be supporting there home team but it does not work like that.

I went to Skelmersdale at the beginning of March 1967  We lost a close game 1-0  in front of what is still the largest crowd at that ground 7500  Halfway or so home we pulled into services and ended up commiserating with several coachloads of WBA supporters  beaten 3-2 by QPR  in the League Cup final that day

Just wondering what famous/well known players you have seen on a Slough Town pitch either on the decline or on the way up In recent years I can remember Bruce Grobbelaar and Ruud Gullit and going back to the dim and distant Man Uniteds European cup winning goalkeeper Alex Stepney and Franz Beckenbauer Who do you remember?

My post was a bit of a tease. it does say on a Slough pitch not against a Slough team Beckenbauer was a member of the West Germany team who took part in the EUFA U19 Championship in the early sixties Slough Town hosted the game between West Germany and Greece at the Dolphin as far as I know the only international game Slough have ever hosted It was a remarkable game West Germany were hotly tipped to win this tournament and bossed the first half 1-0 at half time and they had hit the crossbar twice (flat and wooden in those days) Greece must have had management like our current ones because whatever was said at half time the final score was West Germany 2 Greece 7 Despite this West Germany qualified second in the group and Greece were eliminated coming third The tournament was won by England who beat surprise finalists N Ireland 4-0 N Ireland helped to the finals by outstanding displays from their Goalkeeper Pat Jennings

I was at the W.Germany v Greece game and I agree that the young Beckenbauer (age 17?) was playing and the turn round was quite amazing. Another international I remember being played at The Dolphin was England Ladies v Wales (?) Ladies which as I recall was won easily by England. Can't remember when but late 60's /early 70's before we moved to Wexham Park. First went to The Dolphin in 1958 and have been pretty much a regular ever since except 1965-69 when I was a student up T'north and a period in the late 80s/early 90s when contract work sometimes kept me away. So many memories and some great times (both on the field and in the pub etc.) 

David Carpenter I was also there Remarkable game You are correct Beckenbauer wasnt 18 until the September following the tournament in 1963. If anyone wonders about Alex Stepney he was Tooting and Mitchams goalie when they beat us 0-4 in an FA cup tie in the early sixties That score really flattered them We would have had a few against almost any other goalie You could tell then that he was destined for the highest level.

We had the rather rotund England International /ex Arsenal,Crystal Palace, Kenny Sansom in a Slough shirt for a few games. Unfortunately, coming down rather than going up [in age terms] !