Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Frome

3spirit

'' been highs and lows this season but it shouldn't be forgotten that overall it was all about survival and we have done just that with lots of lessons learned hopefully to build on ''

Your last sentence is spot on,Mr Rebel. Finishing outside the bottom three was the priority,when the season started. We've managed this and more.So most of us will be fairly happy with how we've done. I know I am.

For me,progress next season will be to finish in the top 12 and to have a couple of decent cup runs.No easy task,I know but achievable.

The higher the better,of course but certainly a tough ask in this Premier Division,which is going to be an even harder next season.

Edited by 3spirit

Have to disagree here. I think a big slow cumbersome centre back is fine for the league below, but at this level strikers seem to be nippier and more skilful. I think an agile and more nimble defender (foulser in his prime) is what we are missing.

completely see what your saying. Just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time despite not being the most agile of defenders. We generally have quite good movement going forward so think he did a job very well, that's not to say that's the case week in week out

If Foulser can give us that experience and be quicker then that would be fantastic

completely see what your saying. Just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time despite not being the most agile of defenders. We generally have quite good movement going forward so think he did a job very well, that's not to say that's the case week in week out

If Foulser can give us that experience and be quicker then that would be fantastic

It's not fair to expect Adam to be the answer to our defensive frailties next season.

Obviously,we know he is a quality defender stroke midfielder,who I expect will be chomping at the bit to play but for me,we will need a new,fully fit,experienced leader type to come in and lead the line for us.

Having Adam back will be the icing on the cake.   

Edited by 3spirit

It's not fair to expect Adam to be the answer to our defensive frailties next season.

Obviously,we know he is a quality defender stroke midfielder,who I expect will be chomping at the bit to play but for me,we will need a new,fully fit,experienced leader type to come in and lead the line for us.

Having Adam back will be the icing on the cake.   

Personally, I don't think only making one change will be the answer to our defensive frailties. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

Personally, I don't think only making one change will be the answer to our defensive frailties. 

Whilst this might not be the case, people also remember we have budgets etc at Slough and are not one of the big boys in the division at this stage, and therefore can not just go and sign anyone..... if people expect massive changes then I am afraid it wont happen, yes we will be tweaking things, but major surgery will not happen, the experienced type of player that everyone talks about, does not come cheap and there are not many about...

We are a young side defensively, however a number can learn from this season also.

It is a theme that I am afraid rings true at many clubs, you only have to read the Chesham forum and their fans are saying the same things.

We need to get a certain amount of realism amongst ourselves, yes myself and Jon want to compete and will do what we can, however we also know we have not had the best out of one or two this season for various reasons, but does not mean we are going to discard them after one poorer season, bit like Scott Harris last year where he had so much going on with his family life and work life that it had a huge effect on his football, has not been the case this season, and we have one player in that category, that we know will be better than he has given us this season, but a big part of that has been down to his personal situation.

We have missed Warren and Foulser all year, that is like Poole losing Burbidge and Walker for the whole season, we have also had Searsy and Clurgy out for nearly half a season each, big players for us as managers to lose, and also very big characters in amongst the changing room and on the pitch for varying reasons.

Yes Clurgy has had problems with his knee, however he has also recently had twins, and that has had a huge effect on him also, as it would when you become parents for the first time to 2 children.

Those 4 will be like having new signings in the summer, and whilst some people say you cant rely on them because they have been injured for a long period, well I am afraid players at every level get injured and come back fit (and managers listen to medical professionals all the time on whether they believe they will come back 100%), also these are not players in their mid 30's, Warren is 23, Clurgy 29, Foulser and Searsy 30, the latter 3 are players coming into their prime.

Think that's fair enough bakes.

Personally if i thought about which players I would let go there isn't many at all that I would let go if it was up to me. That of course doesn't mean every player will choose to stay - change of circumstance, offers elsewhere etc.

The odd new player here and there just to freshen things up a bit hopefully should be all that is needed to push us further still away from that relegation zone next season.

If those 4 can get back fit and firing it would be massive boost early on for the whole club

The whole defence issue could well be addressed in part at least by tweaking our natural attacking mentality slightly and being just that bit tougher to break down. I don't know but I'm not the manager so will leave that to bakes and unders

Whilst this might not be the case, people also remember we have budgets etc at Slough and are not one of the big boys in the division at this stage, and therefore can not just go and sign anyone..... if people expect massive changes then I am afraid it wont happen, yes we will be tweaking things, but major surgery will not happen, the experienced type of player that everyone talks about, does not come cheap and there are not many about...

We are a young side defensively, however a number can learn from this season also.

It is a theme that I am afraid rings true at many clubs, you only have to read the Chesham forum and their fans are saying the same things.

We need to get a certain amount of realism amongst ourselves, yes myself and Jon want to compete and will do what we can, however we also know we have not had the best out of one or two this season for various reasons, but does not mean we are going to discard them after one poorer season, bit like Scott Harris last year where he had so much going on with his family life and work life that it had a huge effect on his football, has not been the case this season, and we have one player in that category, that we know will be better than he has given us this season, but a big part of that has been down to his personal situation.

We have missed Warren and Foulser all year, that is like Poole losing Burbidge and Walker for the whole season, we have also had Searsy and Clurgy out for nearly half a season each, big players for us as managers to lose, and also very big characters in amongst the changing room and on the pitch for varying reasons.

Yes Clurgy has had problems with his knee, however he has also recently had twins, and that has had a huge effect on him also, as it would when you become parents for the first time to 2 children.

Those 4 will be like having new signings in the summer, and whilst some people say you cant rely on them because they have been injured for a long period, well I am afraid players at every level get injured and come back fit (and managers listen to medical professionals all the time on whether they believe they will come back 100%), also these are not players in their mid 30's, Warren is 23, Clurgy 29, Foulser and Searsy 30, the latter 3 are players coming into their prime.

As they say 'there's two sides to every coin'.

We have had a poor season defensively where some defenders have not performed and sometimes there are reasons for it that a supporter doesn't see or know about.

At the moment, we are not one of the big spenders in this division and until we have our own ground and can start to compete financially with those teams, a play-off place or better, although not impossible, is not a reality.  

Like a lot of supporters, if we can compete in the top half of the table next season I'll be more than happy.

An excellent well written piece,Neil. I agree with most of what you say.

Not knowing the budget figures,it's hard for fans to put a rational,reasonable response to what you've said here.I think most of us know we're not going to have a major clear-out and nor do we believe that is what is warranted.

However,I expect we both know there are certain areas that need strengthening.

I think if we could push the boat out for one quality signing,or maybe two.That could be the difference,from where we currently sit in the division, to what I hope we can achieve next season.

Also if we can bring in a couple of young potential players to freshen up the squad ie competition for places.That has to help,too.

Like we did last season with George Frith and Alex Witham,although they weren't the greatest success in their own right,we started the season well with these types of player in the squad.

Having Warren,Adrian,Jamie and Adam back fit will make a huge difference but will they be 100% fit?.Not a forgone conclusion but I understand your logic for wishing that all will be hunky dory.

I hope, that it is,how you say so,too,as they are all quality players,as they will be like 4 new signings but as we all know in football,things aren't always guaranteed !   

What an intelligent reply. Though I expected that .

As you usually make excuses anyone one would assume you were just carrying on your tradition.

This isn't going to turn into the tit for tat,as it could go on for days !

JonBlack and Stuntman Mark, please just agree to disagree,as it was only about the weather and the pitch conditions after all. 

Nor do I but it will be a start !

I'm not as bothered about the defence,as some are but I can see the benefit of a defender who has great communication skills and is an organiser,as we are quiet as a team compared to some.

As you know,I believe the best form of defence is to attack.    

This isn't going to turn into the tit for tat,as it could go on for days !

JonBlack and Stuntman Mark, please just agree to disagree,as it was only about the weather and the pitch conditions after all. 

Agreed. I apologise to Jon Black. I think it’s marvellous that Care in the Community patients are allowed computers and an internet connection as part of their deinstitutionalisation.

Agreed. I apologise to Jon Black. I think it’s marvellous that Care in the Community patients are allowed computers and an internet connection as part of their deinstitutionalisation.

Sorry missed you on Britains Got Talent comedy section .My last word on subject.

I think it's marvelous that unwarranted personal insults such as these (and your previous comment) are now acceptable to use when referring to specific members. It really adds a great deal to the debate and decorum of this forum.

RR lets get this right the three teams at the bottom of the league have had a poor season defensively.

For our first season in this tough league the management and team must be applauded.

Neil and Jon were hoping the experienced defender who came in at the beginning of the season was going to be

the mouth piece of the team until he decided to go to Hayes and Yeading.

Rummy did a great job at the back while he was with us just a pity it was not longer.

All season we have struggled with injuries and unavailability to have a properly stable regular side but it has to be noted cautiously that we have conceded similar amounts of goals as those who are or going to be relegated.

Thankfully we are blessed to have goals of our own in the squad although on some occasions the players who are the main goal threats are under more pressure due to likelihood of conceding ourselves.

Considering our circumstances think we have achieved as much as we could realistically expect for our first season back