Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chippenham

RR, don't you think that we seem to rush a bit too much as well, which adds to the reasons why we seem to be giving the ball away so much recently.

That is also down to how the pitches are at the moment, you can't get the ball how you need it, so you rush the clearance or pass.

The one thing I always remember is when the top tier players get to play away in pitches like that in the FA Cup, and they complain that they can't play their football on them.

I think our performances will improve,now we are past the worst of the weather.It's no co-incidence that we play our best football on better pitches.

There's no getting away from the fact that injuries to our midfielders have hampered our progress,latterly.Chopping and changing centre midfielders is always going to upset the rhythm of our fluid passing game.

My opinion is, we fans and management, have to take some of the blame for keep labelling our team as a mid-table side,as this seems to have had the effect,that the players have become complacent, and now believe they are just that !

I think they need a bit of a shake-up.  

That said,I feel that we should be addressing our lack of goals of late,by signing a new forward.To balance the books,we could let go one or two of our midfielders or defenders.

Noticed Ben Mackey has left St Neots. Not sure who he's signed for,now,but a player of his quality must be on our radar if we are to progress our striking options,for one eye on next season.

'Past the worst of the bad weather' famous last words   ;)

Ben Mackey seems to follow the money, St Neots, Hemel, Dunstable.

This is all good debate to be honest, we will always set our standards high as that is how we are as people... we are naturally positive people, however we are not stupid, we see where things are not working where things need to tweak, we take into account so many aspects before we usually make decisions on players.

We will always aim for the play offs/title year on year, as if you set your standards lower you normally get back lower results.

Myself and Jon have just spent two hours talking about the squad, our hopes aims etc for next year (over the West Ham v Spurs game) and it was very positive, we have no issues stating that we have already spoken to a striker in preparation for next season, and hope to bring him in in the summer, and one that will have a very positive affect on the squad.

In respect to Stuarts comments on Warren, I would say that Warren is only just 24, and has played Conference South football in the past, and clearly was far too good for our level last year which showed in his performances, goals and assists (and every award he won), and have NO DOUBT we will have him fully fit next season, and he will be one of the best wingers in the league.

Foulser is slightly older at 30, but as a centre half that is nothing, and we hope he gets back to where we know he can be, I would not say we are pinning our hopes on both of them, but just saying both will be like having new signings next year.

This is all good debate to be honest, we will always set our standards high as that is how we are as people... we are naturally positive people, however we are not stupid, we see where things are not working where things need to tweak, we take into account so many aspects before we usually make decisions on players.

We will always aim for the play offs/title year on year, as if you set your standards lower you normally get back lower results.

Myself and Jon have just spent two hours talking about the squad, our hopes aims etc for next year (over the West Ham v Spurs game) and it was very positive, we have no issues stating that we have already spoken to a striker in preparation for next season, and hope to bring him in in the summer, and one that will have a very positive affect on the squad.

In respect to Stuarts comments on Warren, I would say that Warren is only just 24, and has played Conference South football in the past, and clearly was far too good for our level last year which showed in his performances, goals and assists (and every award he won), and have NO DOUBT we will have him fully fit next season, and he will be one of the best wingers in the league.

Foulser is slightly older at 30, but as a centre half that is nothing, and we hope he gets back to where we know he can be, I would not say we are pinning our hopes on both of them, but just saying both will be like having new signings next year.

3spirit won't be able to sleep knowing there's the prospect of signing a new forward for next season   :lol:     

The one thing we need to remember is that we have a young squad who (most of them) will only get better. They will also be much better off once they have a season of premier league quality football under them. They will be able to go into next season knowing that they can compete with teams at this level and so they wont ever need to be worried about facing the title favourites.

Finishing mid table isn't such a bad thing as most teams won't consider us too much of a threat next season, unlike previous seasons where we have been a big fish and we have had targets on our backs.

Bakes and Unders:

When will Warren and Foulser be back, will they have a chance of playing a few games at the end of this season or will they have to wait until the beginning of next?

Did think yesterday yes it was tough to keep the ball down and pass along the ground but there is an alternative between that and hoofing it high resulting on attackers having to win headers. Chippenham quite a few times used a more direct ball into their attacking players chest height roughly (even to the smaller players) often giving our defenders little to no chance of nipping in and intercepting

Edited by Mr Rebel

What was disappointing was how poor our delivery on set plays were there was no variety the keeper was not put under any pressure at all from any corner or free kick.

What was disappointing was how poor our delivery on set plays were there was no variety the keeper was not put under any pressure at all from any corner or free kick.

considering we seem to spend a lot of time practicing corner kick routines we don't seem to (from memory) score anywhere near as many goals from them as you would think we should.

at least 5 or 6 corners ended up straight into the keepers hands with not a single Slough anywhere near the ball just in the 1st half alone yesterday

Most teams do tend to play more long ball on the type of surface that we played on yesterday because trying to play passing football is difficult if not near impossible.

This type of football for the players we've got i.e. generally small, especially up front, doesn't suit us.

Yesterday was a good example IMO of why we tend to struggle on these types of pitches.

Virtually every long ball played in the air to our forwards, especially playing up the slope, came straight back.   

We just don't have the right type of players to play that sort of game on that type of surface. 

Exactly why I'm an advocate of the big,powerful forward to mix it up at times.Our current three forwards are all good in their own right but none of them offer the kind of physicality needed to rattle big centre halves on these boggy pitches IMO.

The Premier Division is by far,a bigger challenge in the physical stakes than the Central Division.

Scott Harris is a battler in the same mould as Sean Sonner but like Sean he struggles to hold off the really strong defenders.As valiant as he is,we need an alternative with height.

Currently Johnny Dyer seems to be the forward struggling most.He needs a run of games,as he has had a hard time of it of late,being in and out the side.Perhaps he should have a stint out on loan like Ed and Scott did,to bring him back to form. 

Ive been in Ireland for some months and have seen few games which is why Ive not commented much  I dont believe you should comment on games you havent seen and Im quite happy with a mid table finish in this first season as now seems likely but it seems to me that unlike previous seasons we have neither a strong attack nor a good defence. Of the 22 teams we play(now Hereford have gone)  14 have scored more goals and 14 have conceded less more than 2/3rds in both cases  Maybe we should concentrate on improving at least one area. Ive always believed the defence is the most important area.  If  you dont concede you cant lose.  No matter how many you score  the opponents can score more.Incidently one one team has drawn more.

3spirit won't be able to sleep knowing there's the prospect of signing a new forward for next season   :lol:     

From my perspective,I would look to bring in two new strikers next season,with one leaving but that's just my opinion.

I think I would bring in about 5 new players and let 4 to 5 go,from our squad.

Don't think we need massive changes but do think we need a freshen up.To be fair to Bakes and Unders,they have tried to do this with Adam Martin's,Dan Brown's loan and Gorkan and Liam's arrival,which we've yet to see the full rewards for but may witness in the coming month or so.

Let's hope we don't suffer the second season syndrome !

You can now see photos from both sides.

Mine, as usual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horshamrebel/sets/72157650951284091/

and from Richard, the Chippenham photographer, who was based at the half way line

http://www.r-chappell-photography.com/FOOTBALL-/CHIPPENHAM-TOWN-FOOTBALL-CLUB/CHIPPENHAM-TOWN-20142015-SEASO/1CHIPPENHAM-TOWN-V-SLOUGH-TOWN/

Ive been in Ireland for some months and have seen few games which is why Ive not commented much  I dont believe you should comment on games you havent seen and Im quite happy with a mid table finish in this first season as now seems likely but it seems to me that unlike previous seasons we have neither a strong attack nor a good defence. Of the 22 teams we play(now Hereford have gone)  14 have scored more goals and 14 have conceded less more than 2/3rds in both cases  Maybe we should concentrate on improving at least one area. Ive always believed the defence is the most important area.  If  you dont concede you cant lose.  No matter how many you score  the opponents can score more.Incidently one one team has drawn more.

I don't think it's as simple as saying 'our forwards need improving because we haven't scored enough goals' or 'we have conceded too many goals so it must be the fault of our defence'.

Yes, the goals have dried up lately but we have two forwards in the league scoring charts. Where's the contribution from other areas of the team?

Yes, we have conceded too many goals but IMO we have good defenders, so maybe the fault lies elsewhere? 

From my perspective,I would look to bring in two new strikers next season,with one leaving but that's just my opinion.

I think I would bring in about 5 new players and let 4 to 5 go,from our squad.

Don't think we need massive changes but do think we need a freshen up.To be fair to Bakes and Unders,they have tried to do this with Adam Martin's,Dan Brown's loan and Gorkan and Liam's arrival,which we've yet to see the full rewards for but may witness in the coming month or so.

Let's hope we don't suffer the second season syndrome !

Two new strikers?

I'd settle for one and hopefully keep all three of our present strikers but I know it'll be difficult to keep all 4 happy. 

I don't think you can keep 4 quality strikers happy. I know which 2 of the 3 I'd keep and then bring in another top striker (which is what the managers will hopefully do). Could do with another winger although really depends on how Warren and James perform. Really hope Adam and Warren can hit the ground running and show the league what they're all about.

It wasn't that long ago (pre bogy pitches) we were top 4 for goals scored and top 4 for non conceded goals.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) now the weathers going to improve so will these stats.