Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Poole Town

Reading Rebel

With regards to linesman helping the referee, I read in the Graham Poll autobiography, that some referees will instruct the Lino on what decision they could signal for . Therefore if the ref says that he and he alone will make any decision on penalties, it doesn't matter if the Lino has a better view or different opinion, he won't look for any help with that decision.

That still happens now, So I can't see why they are called Ref assistants????????

With regards to linesman helping the referee, I read in the Graham Poll autobiography, that some referees will instruct the Lino on what decision they could signal for . Therefore if the ref says that he and he alone will make any decision on penalties, it doesn't matter if the Lino has a better view or different opinion, he won't look for any help with that decision.

Before every game the referee will brief his assistants on their duties and these could differ significantly from one referee to another. Some will say leave fouls or penalties to them, some will say give them first bite and others will be happy for assistants to signal offences.

That said, even at Allied Counties level (Slough Town U18s level) where Tom and I are assistants, referees will specifically mention gaining help from assistants on fouls in or out of the box as they are looking across the line. Sometimes it could be as simple as the assistant moving along the line towards the corner flag and taking a position on the line clearly inside the box so it might not be obvious that they have conferred.

What's almost certain is if the referee has made his mind up and given the decision, the assistant would not attempt to overrule him/her.

Before every game the referee will brief his assistants on their duties and these could differ significantly from one referee to another. Some will say leave fouls or penalties to them, some will say give them first bite and others will be happy for assistants to signal offences.

That said, even at Allied Counties level (Slough Town U18s level) where Tom and I are assistants, referees will specifically mention gaining help from assistants on fouls in or out of the box as they are looking across the line. Sometimes it could be as simple as the assistant moving along the line towards the corner flag and taking a position on the line clearly inside the box so it might not be obvious that they have conferred.

What's almost certain is if the referee has made his mind up and given the decision, the assistant would not attempt to overrule him/her.

Not too sure I understand the logic in that.

A Ref makes a decision and then Refs assistant has seen something that could have a bearing on that decision, he would say nothing and just go with what the Ref has decided?

Doesn't sound right.

Edited by Reading Rebel

As Ian said, it all depends on the individual ref.

I've seen a couple of refs making a decision, then go over to the assistant to talk, and then change their mind on what they thought happened.

However that is in the minority.

Ian, is there something actually written down on the variations on what a ref should do, or is it completely open ?

If the ref wont allow his assistants to make decisions - then get rid of the assistants, allow them to go and ref other games (there are always cries that there are too few refs) and the club only needs to pay for the ref rather than three officials.  It also makes the target smaller for the bottle throwers.

The other option is go for the champions league method and have the ref, two assistants running the line, two next to the goal and one to hold up the extra time board - then we will have five assistants that can be ignored.

I didn't say they wont assist in making decisions (note there the difference in making a decision and assisting), I said that each referee may apply slightly different guidelines in how and when they want the assistants to interact.

You could always go and take the qualification and work your way up through the ranks :-)

Well just to give a bit of balance on the ref situation, we know the ref from Saturday pretty well, and he went up in our estimations, as he got in contact with myself to let me know he had seen the video and to put his hands up that he was wrong, and to apologise.

We all make mistakes, however it takes a big man to admit it, and it was really appreciated, to be honest as he said he probably got caught slightly out of position due to the pace of the break (which started with Gilkes on the half way line)...

These things do happen, it was frustrating at the time as we were pretty sure Guy would not have made the tackle unless he was convinced the lad was out the box, however it is done now, and whilst 2-0 at half time we were more in the game than 3-0 but in reality Poole were so good on the day I don't think it hugely affected the end result.

A lot of time for Michael Webb, and shame other refs don't do similar!!!

Well just to give a bit of balance on the ref situation, we know the ref from Saturday pretty well, and he went up in our estimations, as he got in contact with myself to let me know he had seen the video and to put his hands up that he was wrong, and to apologise.

We all make mistakes, however it takes a big man to admit it, and it was really appreciated, to be honest as he said he probably got caught slightly out of position due to the pace of the break (which started with Gilkes on the half way line)...

These things do happen, it was frustrating at the time as we were pretty sure Guy would not have made the tackle unless he was convinced the lad was out the box, however it is done now, and whilst 2-0 at half time we were more in the game than 3-0 but in reality Poole were so good on the day I don't think it hugely affected the end result.

A lot of time for Michael Webb, and shame other refs don't do similar!!!

Total respect for a Ref that owns up to a gaff.