Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Poole Town

Reading Rebel

After last weeks commanding game against Weymouth, the complete opposite this week.

Last week Weymouth's defence was all over the place and we had the ability to shoot, today Poole turned up with the most secure back line in the league and we had no idea of how to threaten it with no shots even attempted, other than putting over one over the bar from 3 yards out.

No complaints about the result, Poole got what they deserved and 4 goals did not flatter them, as it could have twice that if they had really tried.

With our league position this type of result will happen, as will wins against teams like Weymouth if the luck is with us.

At least in the second half we came out and gave it a go, but it took too long to realise there was a gaping hole on our right.

The win against Weymouth was not down to luck.

Edited by Reading Rebel

As I said during 2nd half commentary , I would like to see us using some new players from either leagues below or above, we shouldn't be left so short on the bench .

I think players such as Barrett-Maidenhead, or Romeo Devante-Marlow , or Daniel-Biggleswade should come in to try and find a place for next season. I know our managers have some good contacts .

I'm not knocking current squad but fresh blood, especially from bench, should be considered .

Agree that our bench today was seriously lacking.

As I said during 2nd half commentary , I would like to see us using some new players from either leagues below or above, we shouldn't be left so short on the bench .

I think players such as Barrett-Maidenhead, or Romeo Devante-Marlow , or Daniel-Biggleswade should come in to try and find a place for next season. I know our managers have some good contacts .

I'm not knocking current squad but fresh blood, especially from bench, should be considered .

Firstly,think we've been really unlucky with the amount of first team players that are missing through injury.

Bakes and Unders can't legislate for this.

Adam Martin has done well since he came in but he can't work miracles.Being the only proper out and out central midfielder today,was always going to be a big ask,against such a well organised side as Poole.

It is also going to take time for him to find the right player/players for him to bed in properly in centre midfield,so I think we have a dilemma there. 

When everyone's fit we have a good squad of players and should be able to cement our position in the top 10.

I do agree,though,RebelAde,that a couple of new players may be needed before the end of the season.

We are not going to play teams as good as Poole every week but the physical nature of this Premier division is there for all to see.

I think we are missing a trick by not having an experienced tall big robust striker to get among these towering opposition centre-halves in these winter games,when the pitches are cutting up and floor football is harder to play.At times we just need someone,who is a battling tough nut,who we could use sparingly from the bench when needed.We have enough good attacking footballers to play off of him. 

Scott Harris,as valiant as he always plays,hardly strikes fear into these man mountain type defenders.We had the same problem under Steve Bateman in winter games,when we persisted with the Burnell/Sonner partnership.Which,of course,worked well in some games but not in others.

Poole have the meanest defence in terms of conceding goals,so we was always going to be up against it,to create holes in their defence but not having one shot on target  all game was woeful.

Their keeper and defence had a easy afternoon. We've got to address this problem.

Edited by 3spirit

Completely outplayed by the best team to visit us this season tho we improved slightly second half.

In some ways the gulf was really worrying  as they were better at all the basics---------passing, first touch , ball retention ,etc.

We know we wont go up or down so we need to be on a mission to finish as high as we can as that will help attract the better players we need in some positions or as good cover.It could be that to get better and to truly compete in this league we need some different players and the managers have shown they can make the big decisions already.

One of their fans told me that their manager is adept at fixing up loans very fast when a key player is injured and the fact that these loanees are from places like Bournemouth and Pompey obviously helps their cause and underlines Adrian's comment about players from higher clubs.

Hard to pick a MOTM for yesterday................but Sean Fraser was probably It !

Don't believe any player goes out and doesn't try that's just ridiculous.

Also all this talk about more player's, player's from higher levels etc where's the money coming from to pay them.

Remember we do have a few injuries at the mo and our manager's always do their best to cover it.

Poole are a good side every time we got the ball we were closed down by one if not two players.

Saying that I am more than happy with our team and where we are in the table.

Sue

Barratt is on contract, and we have been in constant dialogue with Drax at Maidenhead, however he is not going anywhere, Craig Daniel also on contract and would be going nowhere unless a fee was involved, and Romeo is not one for us at this stage.

It is very difficult when you have 3 players turning up who are all 50/50 and none of them end up fit (when you hoe at least one of them will be ok), they could have all turned up and been fit and we may have been ok.

We had missing Ryan Parsons, Jamie McClurg, Adrian Sear, Ben Edwards, Warren Harris and Foulser was not quite right, that is our last 5 skippers at Slough and our player of the year.... take that out of most sides and they will find it tough.

Lets be honest Poole were a class act, and the fact they have kept 22 clean sheets and only conceded 15 goals in 25 games is unreal, for us to have matched them we would have needed a full squad of players, however we were not afforded that luxury.

We were not at the races however first half, and gave the ball back to them too cheaply, and for that we got punished... Not going to lose too much sleep over the defeat, we will move on and look forward to Bideford.

Only said those 3 players as they were ones who have impressed me and the names I could remember .

What I meant really was, considering the injuries and upcoming suspension, are our managers looking to get someone in on a month loan, like Gogic, or say to a lower league player, come to us for 4-5 games, and see if we can find a little gem, like Tom Moran, just so we have a full squad to choose from.

Poole were excellent in both games we've played them this season and I hope their ground doesn't hold them back if they get promoted.

We would expect al 3 to be fit by Saturday, so as you say it then gives us very good options again.... Problem with loan players from pro clubs (and even higher up the non league ladder), a lot of the time the emphasis is that you HAVE to play them, and that can therefore cause problems with existing players... would you like us to bring in a central midfielder from a pro club for 1 month, and then have to play them only for Searsy, Clurgy and Ben to be available, and run the risk of upsetting them and possibly losing a player??

When we bought Aleks in it was under the agreement that he was with us for one month and we had to play him, so even when Somers was fit we had to play Aleks, of course we could have upset Reading and sent him back, but then that just ruins any relationship you have.

We are always looking at other players, and if something comes up then we will try to integrate them, however we also have a budget we need to stick to....

the penalty was definatly given in error, yes there was contact but that was at least a foot outside the box, free kick yes penalty no, how can i be so sure i was behnd the goal directly in line standing only 10 yds from the incident looking from the other side to the ref who was to the right and slightly behind, my view was clearer, though there is nothing i can do about such a crass decision.

Just seen the video back, and as Heavy Trucker has mentioned 100% not a penalty, the lads momentum means that he ends up in the box, however the tackle was clearly out of the box, and to be honest that is a costly decision, as at 2-0 you are potentially still in the game, I think at 3-0 against that side it was completely done...

If I am 100% honest they would have won the game anyway as they were a better side than us, and their is no shame in saying that.

I wish them all the best in their endeavours to win the league, having seen them Corby and Weymouth in a week, whilst I think Corby are very good going forward, because of Poole defensively I think they will win it.

If Slough fans cant agree on decisions like penalties, own goals and bookings, why do we expect refs to always get it right when they have a split second to decide?

Because referees have to be 100% perfect, all the time, every time!

People will argue, "well they should at least get the basics right", but players don't. They make mistakes because they're human and whilst it's acceptable for a player to put one wide of an open target from 12 yards referees aren't afforded the same latitude.

What I can tell you is that referees, like players, go out and do the job to the best of their abilities. And yes, obviously I'm biased!!

I don't think the penalty or no penalty made a material difference on Saturday. We were simply beaten by a very good side.

We are not knocking the ref, we actuality quite like him. Just pointing out that the decision was incorrect. We could point out plenty of mistakes that our players made on Saturday which also contributed to the defeat but as managers we'd never do that on here....far easier to blame the ref!

I also don't think it would have affected the result although we were similarly outplayed in the first half of a rather big game back in May and managed then to turn round a 2 goal deficit against the odds so you just never know!

Roll on Saturday and a chance to get back to winning ways.

NOT taking anything away from Poole Ian BUT,

Yes the Pen Could I say Could of made a difference. instead of 3-0 with it 2-0 (Kettering) and if a big IF Reece scored just before half time and Slough would of came out in the second half 1 down and game on.

Ian Refs missing a foul or giving the throw the wrong way,giving a corner instead of a goal kick these are simple errors that can be put down to a mistake. But looking along the line and giving a pen when it's out side the box and then seeing the divot he could of changed his mind.

There is no law or rules saying he can't change it.

it does seem that referees make their own job harder at times as they often seem to forget that they have linesmen to help them make important decisions.  Especially with decisions such as whether fouls happen inside or outside the box, if you are not in line or close to inline it is hard to tell, if you are perpendicular to the 18 yard line then it can be tricky to tell which side of the line to foul happens especially as the players momentum will often take them inside the box even if the foul was outside. At the same time linesmen often don't seem to want to make the decisions and leave it to the ref, tis can be understood if the referee is being evaluated as the ref will want to seen to be in control and the linesmen wont want to be seen as undermining him.

people around the ground will see things differently due to their view and as no one will have the same view as the referee we can never know what he/she sees, and as the saying goes, "if the ref don't see it then he cant give it."

We must remember to applaud those referees we deem to have good game, which I think we often do.

With regards to linesman helping the referee, I read in the Graham Poll autobiography, that some referees will instruct the Lino on what decision they could signal for . Therefore if the ref says that he and he alone will make any decision on penalties, it doesn't matter if the Lino has a better view or different opinion, he won't look for any help with that decision.