Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

21 hours ago, Nathan said:

I'm surprised this has slipped under our radar: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c51y91pnyxno (Woking facing administration).

Staggering to read that they have relied upon a short-term cash injection of £600k from the owner's parents just to keep the club afloat! Yet another owner who (reasonably) can't/won't fund a club indefinitely. Rather like Coalville Town, who withdrew from the Southern League this summer, this reprieving Hitchin Town from relegation.

Just goes to show the importance of the club's off-the-field foundations!

Off the field foundations and spending what you cannot afford which Woking seem to have done.

Edited by Reading Rebel

18 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Off the field foundations and spending what you cannot afford which Woking seem to have done.

Repeated time after time, not just at Woking. This is the danger of going for promotion to the EFL, particularly when you've never been an EFL club. 

So new investors will come in, but will they repeat the same process?

10 minutes ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Repeated time after time, not just at Woking. This is the danger of going for promotion to the EFL, particularly when you've never been an EFL club. 

So new investors will come in, but will they repeat the same process?

More than likely because some clubs never learn.

I seem to remember Woking being in financial difficulties a number of years ago.

I have no problem with a money man coming in as long as they can give a guarantee that a club will never be left in debt.

Maybe some sort of bond would give the appropriate security for a club.

Edited by Reading Rebel

14 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Ex Rebel Francis Amartey scored the 2 goals in Weymouths 2-2 draw with Eastleigh.

Ex Rebel Nathan Minhas scored one of the goals in Chesham's 2-0 away win at Chertsey.

Weymouth fans are raving about Francis Amartey on their twitter. Maybe if we'd had known Minhas was going to leave sooner we could have tempted Amartey back to the Rebels! 

2 hours ago, C'est la vie said:

Weymouth fans are raving about Francis Amartey on their twitter. Maybe if we'd had known Minhas was going to leave sooner we could have tempted Amartey back to the Rebels! 

On his day with the right service Amartey was a handful but I don't think he was easy to handle and obviously had delusions of grandeur above his capabilities.

Also I reckon he's on more money at Weymouth than we could afford.

3 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

On his day with the right service Amartey was a handful but I don't think he was easy to handle and obviously had delusions of grandeur above his capabilities.

Also I reckon he's on more money at Weymouth than we could afford.

In addition to that, itsbeasy to do it in a pre-season friendly in nice weather cruising along. Let's see how many "knocks" he has when they have a long Tuesday evening trip in November!!

2 hours ago, C'est la vie said:

I didn't realise he was that much of a bad egg???

I don’t think he was.

He had a loan spell with us at the end of 2022/3 which wasn’t very successful & I seem to recall him & Lench having a bit of a confrontation on the pitch in his last match of the season.

53 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I don’t think he was.

He had a loan spell with us at the end of 2022/3 which wasn’t very successful & I seem to recall him & Lench having a bit of a confrontation on the pitch in his last match of the season.

Who doesn't have a confrontation with Lenchy 😂

12 hours ago, Mark44 said:

Wasn't the reason we allowed him to drop down a level and sign for Hayes due to his attitude... I seem to remember Bakes & Unders getting a bit of stick at the time and they alluded to that without actually saying it.

Franny is actually a very nice lad. He doesn’t have an attitude problem at all, he’s actually quite reserved and pretty quiet. Under Bakes and Unders it’s fair to say that he didn’t really throw himself into the Slough way which at the time was a really tight knit group! The second time around he was a lot more engaging with the group. As for the little spat with lenchy, that was much ado about nothing! It was over as quick as it started and not mentioned again. 😅

On 26/07/2024 at 20:19, Scott Davies said:

Franny is actually a very nice lad. He doesn’t have an attitude problem at all, he’s actually quite reserved and pretty quiet. Under Bakes and Unders it’s fair to say that he didn’t really throw himself into the Slough way which at the time was a really tight knit group! The second time around he was a lot more engaging with the group. As for the little spat with lenchy, that was much ado about nothing! It was over as quick as it started and not mentioned again. 😅

Thanks Scott, I guess just goes to show how hearsay works its magic..... no offence meant to Francis in any way with my post 

2 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

Alfie Pendlebury signs for Hanwell. He was the rabona scoring trualist for us earlier in pre-season and looked like a very decent striker. Will be interesting to follow his progress this season as he takes a step up. 

Didn't see enough of him to know if he was any good or not.

Having said that he did show in his couple of appearances that he had ability.

Absolutely the right decision to drop down a level with the chance to play on a regular basis which is what he needs to improve his game. 

Edited by Reading Rebel