Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

4 million coming their way.

Oh bother! (Or words to that effect)

3 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

4 million coming their way.

I wonder how this might affect our club going forward? With that windfall they could easily transition to a full time team and if successful potentially take away the casual fan we’re trying to attract away from us. Plus they’re already going ahead with big ground improvements which will make their ground a lot better and with this extra money they may well enhance their facilities further. Be very interesting to see how they go about spending this cash (lucky buggers!!!).

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, RebelVilla said:

Maybe they can finish building their ground now.

Their new ground at Braywick was turned down by the council so in the mean time the money will probably help to improve/bring their ground up to scratch and improve their squad.

Will it be sufficient to help them become a full time club to push for promotion?

Edited by Reading Rebel

Statement from the Maidenhead United Chairman:-

https://www.maidenheadunitedfc.org/news/club-chairman-statement-max-kilman/

Includes:-

Ultimately this is a fantastic outcome for club which will benefit from one of the largest, if not the largest, transfer payments an English non league club has ever received, which is something to celebrate. This is testament to the hard work of Alan Devonshire and his coaching team past and present, as well our Academy programme which every year is developing players which move into our first team squad.’

18 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Statement from the Maidenhead United Chairman:-

https://www.maidenheadunitedfc.org/news/club-chairman-statement-max-kilman/

Includes:-

Ultimately this is a fantastic outcome for club which will benefit from one of the largest, if not the largest, transfer payments an English non league club has ever received, which is something to celebrate. This is testament to the hard work of Alan Devonshire and his coaching team past and present, as well our Academy programme which every year is developing players which move into our first team squad.’

Just typical of the biggest boys trying to keep as much as they can! So basically Maidenhead you have to take a massive cut from the original deal or we just can’t go ahead with this transfer. Surely you want to see your former player progress blah blah blah… yes £4m is crazy but they’ve definitely lost out on another £2m. Poor old Wolves just wouldn’t be able to survive without that £2m especially with the £150m odd they get each season for being in the PL… cheating buggers.

Totally agree, Inns is a great pick-up for Kingstonian. I remember seeing him play for Farnborough and he was rock solid at the back. As for Thomas, I saw the news too—Kettering’s about to go through some big changes. Curious to see who they'll bring in next!

As a 19 year old, in the 2014/15 season Ollie Watkins played 25 matches for Weston who were in the National South (on loan from League Two Exeter) scoring 10 goals in 25 matches in front of crowds of about 300.

What a fantastic example of the benefits & importance of grass roots football  in the development of young players.

On 06/07/2024 at 13:00, GlenSTFC said:

I wonder how this might affect our club going forward? With that windfall they could easily transition to a full time team and if successful potentially take away the casual fan we’re trying to attract away from us. Plus they’re already going ahead with big ground improvements which will make their ground a lot better and with this extra money they may well enhance their facilities further. Be very interesting to see how they go about spending this cash (lucky buggers!!!).

I've been told they are planning some improvements but are still looking for a new site.

2 hours ago, DonnyNo6 said:

I've been told they are planning some improvements but are still looking for a new site.

I read that they were installing seating at both ends to comply with NL regulations. It's difficult to see how they could really develop York Road sufficiently to push onwards and upwards. They could I suppose replace the old main stand but any new structure would still most likely suffer from the same design fault.  

8 minutes ago, Kaiser Gibbs Batman (KGB) said:

I read that they were installing seating at both ends to comply with NL regulations. It's difficult to see how they could really develop York Road sufficiently to push onwards and upwards. They could I suppose replace the old main stand but any new structure would still most likely suffer from the same design fault.  

Not the ends but extending the main stand plus building a new seated stand on the opposite side. 

On 12/07/2024 at 16:08, GlenSTFC said:

Not the ends but extending the main stand plus building a new seated stand on the opposite side. 

Thanks. Good to know my cheap, old joke still applies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised this has slipped under our radar: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c51y91pnyxno (Woking facing administration).

Staggering to read that they have relied upon a short-term cash injection of £600k from the owner's parents just to keep the club afloat! Yet another owner who (reasonably) can't/won't fund a club indefinitely. Rather like Coalville Town, who withdrew from the Southern League this summer, this reprieving Hitchin Town from relegation.

Just goes to show the importance of the club's off-the-field foundations!

Edited by Nathan
Corrected link