Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Stadium Development - Update

Wellsie

As an on off fan for 10 years am really disappointed.. Dartford new ground and doing really well, Maidstone new ground and doin well, at a higher level mk dons new ground doing well.... Just can't see what the council are thinking by being so obstructive over the past year or so... Can understand why some units at Westwood cross on margate rd aidelye empty, and empty units at that business park near Marlowe... Airport??? Who would invest in an area with people at the helm like this... Apart from supermarkets what will they fully get behind.... disappointed

Although this is extremely bad news I can't see why we would have to go through the whole process again. If we can persuade another hotel chain to come in, surely everything is already in place. Planning permission is granted, and cannot be removed, the builders are in, and so as long as the lease is sorted surely it could be quite a quick process. I don't know what they are like, but Tune hotels are fairly new and have an interest in Football as they sponsor the Premiership referees.

I agree, this is extremely bad news! I'm sorry to say it, but why on earth would another hotel company want to build a hotel on this site? It's not as if the area is bustling with business or tourist attractions - the council have seen to that!! This news is a kick in the teeth for everyone involved, I just hope our other backers stay committed and on side, and that KP is still up for the fight!!

I agree, this is extremely bad news! I'm sorry to say it, but why on earth would another hotel company want to build a hotel on this site? It's not as if the area is bustling with business or tourist attractions - the council have seen to that!! This news is a kick in the teeth for everyone involved, I just hope our other backers stay committed and on side, and that KP is still up for the fight!!

From afar-inclined to agree-but our thoughts are probably based on emotion and not fact.

BD may know-but there will be companies in the hotel associated industry who produce national occupancy figures.

If nat occupancy in the likes of existing travel lodges/holiday in in Thanet is above nat average-shows there is a demand-despite what we may thnik.

Not optimistic-but as above trust KP and GL keep on in there.

Now that planning is granted as we know-they have an easier case to sell despiyte the traumas

There is always a way

Please do NOT spend you Saturday morning emailing the councillors @To:

cllr-linda.aldred@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Steve.Alexandrou@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-robert.bayford@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Rosalind.Binks@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-alasdair.bruce@thanet.gov.uk ; Cllr-peter.campbell@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-doug.clark@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Jack.Cohen@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Keith.Coleman-Cooke@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-kay.dark@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-simon.day@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Ian.Driver@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Mary.Dwyer@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-John.Edwards@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Richard.Everitt@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-sandy.ezekiel@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-michelle.fenner@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Kim.Gibson@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-jo.gideon@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-brian.goodwin@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-david.green@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-elizabeth.green@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Ian.Gregory@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-ken.gregory@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-bob.grove@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-mike.harrison@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-clive.hart@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-sandra.hart@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-bill.hayton@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Neil.Hornus@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-corinna.huxley@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-iris.johnston@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-thomas.king@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-john.kirby@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-ela.lodge-pritchard@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Julie.Marson@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Jennifer.Matterface@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Pat.Moore@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-simon.moores@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-richard.nicholson@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-alan.poole@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-michael.roberts@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-David.Saunders@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Mave.Saunders@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-jason.savage@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-harry.scobie@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-William.Scobie@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-brian.sullivan@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-mick.tomlinson@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-shirley.tomlinson@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-john.watkins@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-chris.wells@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-zita.wiltshire@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-martin.wise@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-John.Worrow@thanet.gov.uk ; cllr-Linda.Wright@thanet.gov.uk

Thanking them for their efforts as this would be totally uncalled for, and if you did Cllr Bob Grove rebounds as an unsent email.( I have double checked and it does seem okay, so don't know why it bounces back). Of course I only checked so that YOU by accident don't send these lovely people an email.

Edited by marksandwell

Although this is extremely bad news I can't see why we would have to go through the whole process again. If we can persuade another hotel chain to come in, surely everything is already in place. Planning permission is granted, and cannot be removed, the builders are in, and so as long as the lease is sorted surely it could be quite a quick process. I don't know what they are like, but Tune hotels are fairly new and have an interest in Football as they sponsor the Premiership referees.

Oh,if only it were as simple as that Steve.It would be nice to think that any replacement could simply slot in & thereby give us no more delays on this but I can't see that being the case,or being as straight forward as that.

The new replacement for Travelodge,whoever,if ever it be,will have to take up the exsisting building dimensions,exactly,of the travelodge surely,otherwise this council will be asking for new details again & that will see us going through a new application all over again.Seems we aren't destined to be granted this with whoever comes in. At the least we would have to apply for an amendment & we all know that that dosent speed things up at all.Amendments themselves still bring about delays.

If the council are hell bent in delaying things this time round,as they seem to have done, then I'm sure they would do so again.We'd only be back to where we are now with a similar result.

If the club have submitted bona-fide details proving that the 125 year lease was definately required and valid (I assume they did) then I am amazed that the council then decided to move their goalposts yet again. (Well not amazed,actually)

What we should be asking for now is a public inquiry into this,though how to get one is something I don't know about, and would it cost us dearly to apply for one,if indeed thats the way it works.

Edited by Cookie

Oh,if only it were as simple as that Steve.It would be nice to think that any replacement could simply slot in & thereby give us no more delays on this but I can't see that being the case,or being as straight forward as that.

The new replacement for Travelodge,whoever,if ever it be,will have to take up the exsisting building dimensions,exactly,of the travelodge surely,otherwise this council will be asking for new details again & that will see us going through a new application all over again.Seems we aren't destined to be granted this with whoever comes in. At the least we would have to apply for an amendment & we all know that that dosent speed things up at all.Amendments themselves still bring about delays.

If the council are hell bent in delaying things this time round,as they seem to have done, then I'm sure they would do so again.We'd only be back to where we are now with a similar result.

If the club had submitted bona-fide details proving that the 125 year lease was definately required and valid (I assume they did) then I am amazed that the council then decided to move their goalposts yet again. (Well not amazed,actually)

What we should be asking for is a public inquiry into this,though how to get one is something I don't know about, and would it cost us dearly to apply for one,if indeed thats the way it works.

spot on Cookie if and a big if another hotel could be found it would need to be the same size as the now dead and buried TL, even a few foot out her and there would result in new plans, meetings etc etc etc

The Ombudsman should have been brought in ages ago on this.At least we would have been in with a half chance of getting what we wanted wheras dealing with the council alone has given us no chance of getting this off the ground. Now that TL have departed there is now no chance of that route being successful.

Edited by Cookie

Well i've sent a letter to Iris Johnston regardind the matter. Not sure as mayor she can do anything.

I think that it is unacceptable that things have got to this stage only to fall at the last hurdle. I think TDC's planning processes should be brought into question. Things don't get done around Thanet because of their inability to make timely decissions. I hope that the directors will have better news when I come up to HDP this afternoon.

We do still have extended leases on other parts of the ground so any improvements on the actual ground can still be made. All we need is a sponsor or some money from somewhere to do it. We just have to go another route to getting a new stadium that's all,though I can't see any improvements being as splendid as they would have been with the development.

We should all back the calls for Councillors to receive out of pocket expenses ONLY. They should NOT receive any allowances of any kind (cannot justify the Leader of the Council getting £18,000 a year just for being Leader without having to turn up for any meetings on top of £4500 once elected as councillor. Sandy Ezekiel was on £50,000 per year as leader doing a secondary part time job for God sake.....our money!!!!) ......the list goes on regarding allowance so much so that £577,000 PER YEAR is paid to the likes of Simon Moore, Sandy Ezekiel, Bob Bayford, Clive Hart etc money better spent on front line services like street cleaning, rubbish collection, police, fire service etc.

I would rather trust Gary Glitter to look after my children than trust Thanet Council to do anything for this area.

The main issue is all Councillors should NOT have any political alliance. As you will have seen if you attended a Council Mtg (Pantomime) basically what ever the group in power propose the opposition in unison will oppose, and visa versa. Doesn't matter what's right for the area of the people it just about point scoring over the opposition.

Vote for me, quick give me a baby to kiss, where's Don and his camera???