Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Matches Sat 18 Feb

lazarus

-------Think you'll find that the only infringement where a referee needs to consider if it is deliberate, or not, is handball. All other infringements intent is irrelevent, so by your own admission ther referee was correct to dismiss the goalkeeper. -------

If that genuinely is the case then by definition every foul that is made by a keeper should result in a sending off, compounded of course by the inevitable one match suspension. If so, why do so many keepers stay on the field after such offences? If ever there was a case for the benefit of the doubt, then on a wet and windy day that should be given. He would have been better standing still and not trying to get the ball. How does that benefit football?

I thought the whole premise behind this, or any other facet of football was down to intent? If not then it is a bad day for football and keepers in particular. My personal thoughts on this are that the ref did it because there was an assessor at the ground again and time after time we find this happening. Anyway, I wouldn't be blaming the ref just because of one issue. We all make mistakes However, there were about a dozen poor ones in this game and I accept that a bad ref is bad both ways. He was.

As for our players poor challenge, yes on another day it could have been red. It certainly warranted a card of some description.

HTFC supporter I am aware that Kyle doesn't run past all eleven players to score each of his goals, he does need a bit of help from time to time, but your own programme stats tell the story. Your second highest scorer this season has seven goals. We've got three players who've done that, and we are below par this season in comparison to recent years. Without him you'd be down with us or probably lower.

If you really think you should have won five or six nil, then frankly you are deluded. If you have any youtube coverage as I know Horley often have, I would be interested to see you producing that many Horley highlights. I can recall a penalty, two goals (one that took a deflection), and another couple of shots from distance that were over or wide, and whilst I am not saying we did significantly more than that, I just felt we had more of the ball for 80 of the 90 minutes.

I have no axe to grind with Horley, it is one of my favourite places to visit in our league. However, you aren't going up and we aren't going down so we'll see you next season. We weren't great but we were better than you even when you had ten. And remember as you will find from previous posts I'm quite happy to admit when we have been lucky or don't deserve something.

I have seen us win 5-0 recently and throw a 5-2 lead to draw 5-5, neither of those results made me do anything apart from shrug my shoulders, but this one on Saturday annoyed me as I thought our players worked really hard and deserved at least a point.

-------Think you'll find that the only infringement where a referee needs to consider if it is deliberate, or not, is handball. All other infringements intent is irrelevent, so by your own admission ther referee was correct to dismiss the goalkeeper. -------

If that genuinely is the case then by definition every foul that is made by a keeper should result in a sending off, compounded of course by the inevitable one match suspension. If so, why do so many keepers stay on the field after such offences? If ever there was a case for the benefit of the doubt, then on a wet and windy day that should be given. He would have been better standing still and not trying to get the ball. How does that benefit football?

I thought the whole premise behind this, or any other facet of football was down to intent? If not then it is a bad day for football and keepers in particular. My personal thoughts on this are that the ref did it because there was an assessor at the ground again and time after time we find this happening. Anyway, I wouldn't be blaming the ref just because of one issue. We all make mistakes However, there were about a dozen poor ones in this game and I accept that a bad ref is bad both ways. He was.

As for our players poor challenge, yes on another day it could have been red. It certainly warranted a card of some description.

HTFC supporter I am aware that Kyle doesn't run past all eleven players to score each of his goals, he does need a bit of help from time to time, but your own programme stats tell the story. Your second highest scorer this season has seven goals. We've got three players who've done that, and we are below par this season in comparison to recent years. Without him you'd be down with us or probably lower.

If you really think you should have won five or six nil, then frankly you are deluded. If you have any youtube coverage as I know Horley often have, I would be interested to see you producing that many Horley highlights. I can recall a penalty, two goals (one that took a deflection), and another couple of shots from distance that were over or wide, and whilst I am not saying we did significantly more than that, I just felt we had more of the ball for 80 of the 90 minutes.

I have no axe to grind with Horley, it is one of my favourite places to visit in our league. However, you aren't going up and we aren't going down so we'll see you next season. We weren't great but we were better than you even when you had ten. And remember as you will find from previous posts I'm quite happy to admit when we have been lucky or don't deserve something.

I have seen us win 5-0 recently and throw a 5-2 lead to draw 5-5, neither of those results made me do anything apart from shrug my shoulders, but this one on Saturday annoyed me as I thought our players worked really hard and deserved at least a point.

Not every foul made by the goalkeeper should result in a sending off because not every foul prevents an OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity

WP 7 Sheerwater 5

Game of two halves. WP 7-0 up at half time shooting down the hill with the wind. Second half roles reversed and if we had taken all our chances like WP did would of come away with a better result. What a game though, strangest I have ever been involved in.

Sounds like 'Sheer' madness YV ! I guess thats why we all love football so much it can be so unpredictable at times :)

Oh don't it was incredible. It was a game of two halfs that were identical and as Young Vet says, had they taken their chances (they hit the bar and a couple of other half chances) then it would have been a 14 goal thriller! It honestly felt like we had lost the game at the final whistle - we just completely lost the plot second half. We had to make a couple of substitutions at the break which affected our back four but take nothing away from Sheerwater who played pretty well in the second half and threw everything at us including the kitchen sink! From 7-0 up at half time to 7-5 with about 10 mins to go, it was certainly squeeky bum time for us!

I wish TRS was at your game recording ! Sounds like the game of the season !

I'm not sure the defending would have been good to watch but certainly the attacking would have been good! Plus they were all in the same goal (at the bottom of the hill)!

Not every foul made by the goalkeeper should result in a sending off because not every foul prevents an OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity

Back in the real world 95% of them do. What a pointless response.

It's not a pointless response at all but one that reflects the position as it is in respect of Law 12 and the guidance on it provided through the Laws of the game (page 121);

Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:

• the distance between the offence and the goal

• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

• the direction of the play

• the location and number of defenders

• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an

indirect free kick

In this instance, I presume the referee considered these and felt the foul did deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. Equally, in other circumstances, he may have considered that they didn't.

FM's response has answered the question you asked in your 0950 hrs post, 'If so, why do so many keepers stay on the field after such offences?' Just because you don't accept it does not make it pointless. Given time and inclination, I'm sure plenty of examples could be found on websites to demonstrate instances where a GK has not been sent-off, and equally has been sent-off. Ultimately, like it or not, it's the referee's opinion that counts.

It may well be his opinion that counts, but it doesn't stop me thinking it was a poor decision. That's my opinion. Their player had gone a bit wide with the ball too, which I accept you wouldn't have been aware of.

However, my response above was relating to the fact that 95% of the time a goalkeeper who makes a foul IS denying a goal scoring opportunity, so 95% of them should be sent off. That obviously doesn't happen. However, from reading your post then ultimately it is not worth him bothering to stop the player at all. In fact he is more likely to benefit by doing nothing.

Surely that means the law is wrong.

Why should there be such a harsh penalty for a keeper if the referee genuinely feels that he made an effort to get the ball but just missed? As I said earlier this is also compounded by the one match suspension. You get a penalty, a likely goal as a result, a man advantage and a player missing his next game too. You think that's fair reward for a foul, do you?

As I also said though, this was one of over a dozen decisions that were either rank bad or just confusing to both sets of players. He had a shocker and his actions killed the game completely for two teams that were having a very sporting and even contest at the time.

Edited by E&E Ed

WP 7 Sheerwater 5

Game of two halves. WP 7-0 up at half time shooting down the hill with the wind. Second half roles reversed and if we had taken all our chances like WP did would of come away with a better result. What a game though, strangest I have ever been involved in.

Sounds like it could've been 13-13 at the FT whistle :D value for money that day though eh!

Wars 2-0 feltham Danny penfold and jack Higgins with the goals not a great performance but at least we got to blow the cobwebs out after 3 weeks with no game a important 3 points

Shame this was both sides first game in 3 weeks due to weather or this would've been more evenly matched I think.

Played my first game in 3 months and loved the battle with Dias and Smash/Joseph (I think?), I don't think either liked me from the battle I had with them earlier in the season when I was at Knaphill, but had some banter with them both and they're decent lads.

Real physical duel at times and was a respected dual from both sides on a very difficult pot hole of a pitch. No doubt that Warlingham deserved their victory and without our keeper (MOM), we'd have taken a hiding of 6/7-0. We hit the bar in the first half and I put a header just wide from a set piece, but other than that we didn't threaten much at all.

Good to see some of the forum lads and great to see Gilesy 'the tank' charging around in midfield putting his 4ft 10" presence into 50/50's! Sorry I couldn't stop for a drink and chat, I had to scoot back home for 6, next time drink on me!

Great win for the Knappers Saturday too, good to see them win at Cobham, well done lads, also great to see Loop and YV's work at Sheerwater working. The results recently look very promising for you and the hard work seems to be paying off!

Edited by Wattsy

I don't disagree that you're entitled to your opinion but the laws don't allow for that to be a consideration of the referee. It's a game of opinions and it's the referee's that counts on the pitch, and his to justify subsequently.

Challenging for any ball is a decision that a player has to make and i'm sure you'll have seen challenges that have to be timed perfectly and made fairly in order to win the ball legally or conversely, if not, the player risks being penalised. Similarly, you'll have heard players saying 'stand him up', 'don't foul him', etc, etc, or words / phrases to that effect, and yet the player those words are directed at commits a foul that perhaps he didn't need to. As such, that was his decision to do so. Therefore, in the circumstances you described in this game, your GK made a decision to challenge for the ball but which did not work out for him.

As Mewcenary refers to in a previous post, IFAB/ FIFA are considering a change to this law to reflect a genuine challenge for the ball as opposed to a cynical one. Personally, I feel that that will put referees under more pressure as the offending player / team will try and convince them that a challenge was genuine and not cynical when in reality it's not always as clear cut or obvious as that.

With regard to your opinion of the referee's performance, I can't comment on that as I wasn't there.

To be honest the ref did make a lot of poor descisions, but he was spot on with the sending off as the horley stryker was dead centre of the goal and rounded the keeper and got taken out. And if you had 80 mins of the game ed I must of been at a different ground.

He was also offside. At least this is what I was told by a few people when I got around to that side of the ground. That's not the refs fault I accept, although in fairness had the assistant raised the flag he wouldn't have seen it. Play went on quite a few times before that sort of thing was finally drawn to his attention.

I never said we had 80 minutes of the game, I said we had more of the ball for that time. Not all of the ball, more of it.

You had ten minutes where we were struggling but a substitution helped and I don't recall a single decent chance for you against our ten men after the third goal. You also created nothing of note in the first half apart from a speculative volley from distance and an early deep cross that was headed away.

I accept that football is a game of opinion but without doubt you will see a lot more keepers walking if that rule is applied frequently. You deserved a penalty, but you were awarded three points too in that same moment.

Yes it was a penalty, yes it was a sending off, no it was not offside as he ran through with the ball. Yes the referee was poor he gave many strange things for both sides.Have been all through the vidoe and found two chance apart from the goal which our keeper Ian Chatfield had to save. I could have put up a lot of chances for Horley to say you had all the play is a bit one sided. I thought in the conditions it was a great credit to both side to try and play football.

Just a question for you why do your players play in different numbers than on the team sheet having read out the names and put the team sheet up was suprised to see sub numbers at the start?

Sorry but the ball was passed to him and you'll have to show me video evidence of that one because I don't believe you.

I also never said we had all of the play I said we had most of the play and a ten minute spell apart you created very little. I am not saying we did loads either but I was expecting more from Horley based on their league position.

I still dispute the sending off. You yourself have even admitted the conditions were poor and that decision killed the game. Why did he need to check with his assistant if he was so sure?

That is all I have to say on it now as I'm getting bored with this. Our opinions differ. Deal with it.

Our team numbers were different because our Chairman who had to cover the Reserves was working on the basis we would be wearing blue. This was obviously an error as we had to wear yellow and we are missing an 11 and a 6 from that kit right now, hence the 12 and 16

Trams 0-1 Wood

Report Here - http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/collierswoodunitedfc01/126383/Matches/report/2806381

Good to see the forum back up and running. I missed you all this weekend.

Also, our youth team had their first league win of the season last night, 4-0 at Cobham, where it was the 6th game in 7 days at The Leg 'O Mutton ground!!!

Ash Utd 1 Molesey 0

Molesey brought the best out of Ash saturday with a good battling performance, especially playing the last 30mins with ten men. 1st half Ash got the only goal midway in to half & defended well to keep Molesey out.

Then the rain came, tempers flared up, scuffle that saw Ash have a player sent off & both boss also removed from the dugout, but some great determine play all the Ash players kept Molesey out, some last ditch at times, but kept them out & continued the good run we are in

Sorry but the ball was passed to him and you'll have to show me video evidence of that one because I don't believe you.

I also never said we had all of the play I said we had most of the play and a ten minute spell apart you created very little. I am not saying we did loads either but I was expecting more from Horley based on their league position.

I still dispute the sending off. You yourself have even admitted the conditions were poor and that decision killed the game. Why did he need to check with his assistant if he was so sure?

That is all I have to say on it now as I'm getting bored with this. Our opinions differ. Deal with it.

Our team numbers were different because our Chairman who had to cover the Reserves was working on the basis we would be wearing blue. This was obviously an error as we had to wear yellow and we are missing an 11 and a 6 from that kit right now, hence the 12 and 16

Thanks for clearing that one up