Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Trivial Pursuit

David Holden

Afraid not. I still have something different but perhaps my source is incorrect. I am looking at the 1900 Olympics.

This is developing quite nicely Martin. A couple more and it could begin to be mentioned in the same breath as 'The City of Truro vs. Flying Scotsman' wrangle.

Over to you Mr H.

[My monies on the Man of Kent.]

[sorry to bore you chaps but it's now 9 points from 14 games and looking grim. I hear rumours of two Conference clubs to have all their points forfeited. Any chance they're from Conference South?]

Indeed.

I believe the match Mr. Holden is referring to took place at the 1896 event - where there were no recognised female competitors. I have now checked my source against the Official Site of the IOC and I am fairly confident I have it right. The first female competitors were at the 1900 games and the first medal went to someone else.

The match I had was in 1896, but if the IOC have selective memories, then the answer will be Charlotte Cooper of Great Britain.

The only other women's gold medal was Margaret Abbot in the Golf.

Incidently we won the Cricket Gold Medal.

David is of course correct. It is my understanding that no medals were awarded to women in 1896. Nearly everyone who entered was Greek and none of the competitions were ratified.

Mark, strictly in secret, is the answer to your question Uruguay.

Anyway over to David for the "official" next question.