Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Trivial Pursuit

David Holden

'Found'? FOUND?

It's just one of those bits of trivia that I knew, Martin. He designed the locomotives with the curving [downwards] front ends. LNER if I recall. Then he named them after birds. Kingfisher was one. Bittern was another, I think.

However. Best to wait for Mr Holden as you say. Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him.

Quote:
AFF said:
'Found'? FOUND?

It's just one of those bits of trivia that I knew, Martin. He designed the locomotives with the curving [downwards] front ends. LNER if I recall. Then he named them after birds. Kingfisher was one. Bittern was another, I think.

However. Best to wait for Mr Holden as you say. Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him.

[color:"red"] Issue AFF with his regulation Anorak ! (Maladroit has the designs and will take the order !)

[color:"black"] David said it's your go, AFF !!

Thanks for that Mr Holden. And you, Big JR. [i thought that 'anoraks' research and gather this sort of stuff. I just remember the odd bit of, generally useless, information! I'm no good on American ice-hockey, however.]

Changing the subject completely......

....What was the name of the first locomotive to break the 100 mph barrier in the U.K.?

Just a slip of the keyboard. Sir Gresley is what I "thought" having plundered the vague corners of my memory. I will just have a "think" about this one and come back to you.

Try "The City of Truro".

I have details on a commemorative mug, purchased from the National Railway Museum, at home and if I can't find anything on the internet now [if I can work out how to operate the thing] in the next half hour, I'll put something up tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, over to NTRSW.

In answer to NTRSW - I think the answer is the peregrine falcon.

You are rightly proud to sponsor Jake Whincup he is an absolute legend.

Used 'Jeeves' [among many things that I can't do is to do a link thingy]. Perhaps someone could oblige?

Type in 'The City of Truro' and about the 7th or 8th entry is a site relating to a £130,000 refurbishment of the locomotive that cracked the 100 mph barrier in May 1904 carrying ocean mail from Plymouth. On a gradient at Polesball or Polesheath or somewhere. Quotes from Andrew Scott, a Director of the National Railway Museum.

Perhaps he should be encouraged to sue the site that you linked to, Mr Holden. It might assist with the £130,000.

How about 'cheetah'.

Well this is an interesting debate (tongue firmly wedged in cheek)

The site I found on the City of Truro says it claimed to have travelled at 103mph on a steep slope in 1904. The Guardian's website includes a story "All you need to know about the Flying Scotsman" which states that it was the first steam engine to break 100mph. Clearly a disputed issue which should be settled by a duel.