Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Trivial Pursuit

David Holden

Quote:
gnfc superb said:
Do you mean final as in final round. Or final as in the big tournament after the qualifying rounds?

Indeed, I'm a bit stumped, cos unless there's a bit of a trick question going on and I'm too dim to see it (which is VERY possible!), the Italians were the first team to play in two finals - 34 and 38.

I mean the final, as in the game where the winners get the cup, as opposed to the final tournament or the final game - sometimes the third place match. For 1950 this would be the Uruguay v Brazil game rather than the Final Pool.

There is no trick, and yes, Italy were the first country to play in two finals, but there is an obvious answer as to why the first player to play in two finals did not necessarily play in both these matches.

The oldest surviving record I can find is narrowest winning margin by wickets which was a 1 wicket victory by England against Australia in 1902 at the Oval although this has subsequently been matched several times.

Ok thank god for the internet.

The oldest debutant was J Southerton for Eng v Aus at Melbourne in 1876/77 at 49 years and 119 days.

In the same match Charles Bannerman scored 165 not out which was the highest individual score at the time and in scoring 67.3% of the Australian runs in the innings he holds the record for greatest percentage contribution for a completed innings.