Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Did they resign?

Gazza

You can dream of a rich sugar daddy but it aint going to happen. You cannot tell me that a club with a settled fan base of around 150 with a club bar shared by two clubs open and used every night of the week cannot survive and flourish at this level.

I support the idea of fans owned club and I do not consider that anyone has offered a viable alternative at this time. 1893 refer to Enfield's history as though they were always top dogs. They went 25 years without any sort of trophy from 1935 to 1960. They remained in one league all that time.

Most of us are adult enough to know that success has to be worked for. It doesn't come with money, it doesn't come with history or reputation. It comes with hard graft. If the players or not prepared to graft the management should be big enough to say go. If the management or not prepared to graft (and where was Sam's encouragement yesterday)then the board should be prepared to say go. If the board is not prepared to graft than the fans should say go, but they have to be prepared to have replacements.

As for me I think our board are the hardest working people at the club and they have my full support.

I have to say a lot of it is a management thing. At my adopted club we struggle to get people throughthe gates because of the situation of the club (i'm not joking!!). There are a couple of rich clubs (Hungerford and Witney)who pay a fortune on wage bills where our wage bill is small. Like ETFC we have a very hard working committee but we have one of the best managers and coaches I have ever come across at this level and he knows how to get the best out of his players. The other massive difference is that they WANT to play for him and they WANT to play for the club. We consequently have a settled squad. We have not lost a league game since August (although I am tempting fate as we have a toughie at Almonsbury tonight) and play really good football.

I accept that this is level 5 but it is the hardest level to get out of! 22 clubs in our division and only the champions can go up. Any other season and we would be clear at the top.

The point is that if you have a decent set up, a hard working committee and a manager / coach who knows what he is doing and is popular with the players anything can be achieved.

ETFC has the first two.

The issue of a fans' club versus a privately owned club is always going to be a huge debate. In this day and age, having money behind a club can get success but, and it's a massive but, we have all seen what it can do to a club if the relationship goes pear-shaped. The problem is that there are very few, genuine, private owners. Most will tell you how much they put into a club but it's invariably in the form of loans. When I was in the UK I bought a book about Weymouth FC and it seemed to me that whilst their budget might be a bit bigger or a bit smaller than some other clubs, all the issues are very much encapsulated in this story. Now, I see from an article in one of the papers that Weymouth is undergoing another potential change of ownership, back to someone who was involved at the very start of the aforementioned book. Talk about revolving doors. Again, the problem is that the new owner wants the exiting owner to clear all of the loans and you guys in Enfield know better than me all about loans left by a departing owner. So, on balance I support a fans club like ETFC but it means they have to be very choosy who they take on as a management team.

Steph is probably right in that the ETFC board is very hard working. I have found them, on my limited visits, very good people, but it does appear that they may have made a wrong decision or decisions about the management team this year. Jim's point is very well made. You don't have to be the richest club in the world to be successful BUT you do need the right calibre of people.

My own club here in Melbourne (and I am a director of the club so I do understand what goes on) has never been one of the wealthier clubs but in 1998 we appointed a coach (manager in your parlance) who in 5 years took us to the Victorian Premier League on a budget that was derisory compared to the vast amounts other clubs throw at their budgets. We couldn't hold on but we had a great ride whilst it lasted and to this day, we still owe not one cent and balance our budgets each year. It's tough but it can be done and believe me we have made some mistakes as well as good decisions.

Sorry to be so long-winded.

Originally Posted By: Steph
Gazza

You can dream of a rich sugar daddy but it aint going to happen. You cannot tell me that a club with a settled fan base of around 150 with a club bar shared by two clubs open and used every night of the week cannot survive and flourish at this level.

At this level we have already flourished in previous seasons, what about progressing? I believe we can gain promotion from level 4 but believe we will struggle, big time, at level 3 with the current set up.

This sugar daddy tag is so negativly touted about, fact is if you want progress yes we need all of what you suggest but you still need financial input of sorts to move up, have a look at Brentwood, I was impressed with what they had done in a couple of seasons, the pitch, perimeter fencing, club house & most importantly playing staff, nothing glamerous but all progressive with no real fan base, look at my local team Histon & how they have progressed, with a stable financial input.

Originally Posted By: Steph
As for me I think our board are the hardest working people at the club and they have my full support.

Agree 100%

Originally Posted By: Southport - TOWNER
Is it true that the management team resigned asfter the Brentwood game, but the board refused to accept the resignation??

As I said in my postings on other threads I went out my way to have a chat with SB after the Leyton game, mainly to seek out first hand the facts of whats going on at our club. I spoke to a couple of supporters in the know prior to kick off and was taken aback with some alleged going on's.

First and foremost I want to apologise to SM with suggesting he should step down, I now feel he should continue with SB as a management team with their chosen coaches to support them.

SB apparently offered to step down as he felt his presence was upsetting some individuels for some unknown reason, well reasons he said he could'nt possibly share with me. His words were 'I did not want to come to ETFC to upset anyone'. However, some board members refused his resignation and asked him to continue. His conclusion from all this is that he now intends to stay on with SM and plan to put things right, work hard and make things successful in all areas of the club, not just the first team.

He does feel however, that he is being undermined by individuels on the board who do not support his presence and was undermined by player power which as we have seen includes an exodus of half a dozen or so.

He has also stated ETFC's record since his arrival has been 13 games with only 5 loss's, he is not saying thats a good record or one he is happy with but its not as disastrous as some are outlining and certainly not as bad as the first 8 games of the season.

He also mentioned that players who wind up the fans by saying goodbyes prior and during games for having been left out the team or walking out and not wanting to be a sub for a game. There is little a manager/coach can do if thats the players decision/actions, totally scandalous in my view.

I wont say more than some board members need a good look at themselves and see if they have the club at heart in the right spirit and community ethics for many years to come.

Some fans I here are threatening to call an EGM as well, all I'd say as a society member is bring it on, cos I'll have a field day in slaughtering all the negative 't1ts' that are working and grinding our club downwards and who can not see that there can be a good 2009/10 season ahead so long as we are United.

I wont go into the matters any more but will re-iterate that if you have any questions or worries then approach SB just like I did, he'll only be too happy to have a debate/chat with all supporters, he also suggested to have a Q+A session after any training session.

Hm

You do seem to have some inside knowledge which I suppose we can all get if we ask the right questions.

I heard things on Tuesday which also upset me and you may be right that an EGM may be the thing to clear the air or.....

perhaps the culprits, and I understand that they know who they are, should stand down instead.

I am sure that if an egm was held those culprits would be too ashamed to turn up.

Originally Posted By: Enfield United
.....I spoke to a couple of supporters in the know prior to kick off...

Really? Who were they then? Inner quadrangle? devil You really shouldnt listen to rumours! (Your words not mine!)

.....First and foremost I want to apologise to SM with suggesting he should step down, I now feel he should continue....

Are you serious? look at the guys record for crying out loud, look at the players in & out, look at how many coaches alone have gone through the revolving door, look at our league position, what on earth will it take for you to realise its not working!

.....He does feel however, that he is being undermined by individuels on the board who do not support his presence....

If this is true then the EGM being suggested by supporters is spot on, in my view he is the only bright light on the management team!

.....I wont say more than some board members need a good look at themselves and see if they have the club at heart in the right spirit and community ethics for many years to come.....

Again really? name them then? have you spoken to these individuals you refer too? bold ststement made there EU, hope you can back it up!

.....who can not see that there can be a good 2009/10 season ahead so long as we are United.....

EU you said that about the 08/09 season after the first half a dozen games, you then said a play-off was well within reach now your saying about a good 09/10 season, just how long will you keep moving the goalposts in your support of SM?

Originally Posted By: Gazza
.....I spoke to a couple of supporters in the know prior to kick off...

Really? Who were they then? Inner quadrangle? devil You really shouldnt listen to rumours! (Your words not mine!)

.....First and foremost I want to apologise to SM with suggesting he should step down, I now feel he should continue....

Are you serious? look at the guys record for crying out loud, look at the players in & out, look at how many coaches alone have gone through the revolving door, look at our league position, what on earth will it take for you to realise its not working!

.....He does feel however, that he is being undermined by individuels on the board who do not support his presence....

If this is true then the EGM being suggested by supporters is spot on, in my view he is the only bright light on the management team!

.....I wont say more than some board members need a good look at themselves and see if they have the club at heart in the right spirit and community ethics for many years to come.....

Again really? name them then? have you spoken to these individuals you refer too? bold ststement made there EU, hope you can back it up!

.....who can not see that there can be a good 2009/10 season ahead so long as we are United.....

EU you said that about the 08/09 season after the first half a dozen games, you then said a play-off was well within reach now your saying about a good 09/10 season, just how long will you keep moving the goalposts in your support of SM?

Its SM who brought SB to the club and I've heard first hand they have a great understanding of each other and a good working relationship. So if SB is happy with it so am I.

My comments are not rumours but from the horses mouth, however, I for one am not gonna drag the dirt blow by blow on a forum. Just trust what I'm saying is accurate.

Yep I was optimistic for this season maybe too optimistic for my own good but too much mess and sh1te has occurred that has unstabled the organisisation of the playing side of the club and thats not just down to SM, but to player power, who were too interested in picking up yellow/red cards, getting decent money from our club and basically a good jolly up without achieving anything. Add the budget being cut (rightly so) and this awful boardroom scenario and its enough to make you see our team impossible to manage and play. But I do agree that the problems began in Aug/Sept, but the witch hunt has gained a momentum of totally unacceptable levels.

If they need 11 for an EGM then count me in now go and find another 10.

Quote:
Just trust what I'm saying is accurate.

You haven't actually said anything.So what are we suppoed to trust is accurate??

You hint that some players (previous and present), and some of the board, have not got much faith in SB.And those that haven't got much faith are undermining him? Is that correct?

....My comments are not rumours but from the horses mouth, however, I for one am not gonna drag the dirt blow by blow on a forum. Just trust what I'm saying is accurate.

Bit late now, you have already thrown some bait which some of us, who are not so in the know, are now biteing on it, not that you have actually told us anything so Im not sure what we are supposed to trust that is accurate.

.... but too much mess and sh1te has occurred that has unstabled the organisisation of the playing side of the club and thats not just down to SM, but to player power, who were too interested in picking up yellow/red cards, getting decent money from our club and basically a good jolly up without achieving anything.

Dont disagree that the odd player may play up but we have had 70 or more so far this season & your not telling me that its all down to players, where are the original players that were bought in by SM at the start of the season?

....and this awful boardroom scenario and its enough to make you see our team impossible to manage and play.

What awful boardroom scenario? and not sure that it would have any effect on managing or indeed the team playing, that sounds more like an excuse for SM's poor season.

....but the witch hunt has gained a momentum of totally unacceptable levels.

Not sure Im aware of any witch hunt, I look at the team, I look at the way we play, I see players coming & going at an unacceptable level, and most of all I see results, that is not a witch hunt that is facts.

....My comments are not rumours but from the horses mouth, however, I for one am not gonna drag the dirt blow by blow on a forum. Just trust what I'm saying is accurate.

Bit late now, you have already thrown some bait which some of us, who are not so in the know, are now biteing on it, not that you have actually told us anything so Im not sure what we are supposed to trust that is accurate.

.... but too much mess and sh1te has occurred that has unstabled the organisisation of the playing side of the club and thats not just down to SM, but to player power, who were too interested in picking up yellow/red cards, getting decent money from our club and basically a good jolly up without achieving anything.

Dont disagree that the odd player may play up but we have had 70 or more so far this season & your not telling me that its all down to players, where are the original players that were bought in by SM at the start of the season?

....and this awful boardroom scenario and its enough to make you see our team impossible to manage and play.

What awful boardroom scenario? and not sure that it would have any effect on managing or indeed the team playing, that sounds more like an excuse for SM's poor season.

Not sure Im aware of any witch hunt, I look at the team, I look at the way we play, I see players coming & going at an unacceptable level, and most of all I see results, that is not a witch hunt that is facts.

Well all I am prepared to say is that you should all make time to chat with SB after any of the forthcoming hat-trick of home games we have. Trust me he is very approachable. I cant expand on the bait i've mentioned its too sensitive.

To call an egm - 20 members or 10% of the total sum of members, whichever is the greater. At the moment, it's near enough the same figure.

Individuals talking to individuals is no good in my opinion. It's a club affair.

People are voting with their feet and we have had a poor season so far in a league which we were hoping to sail through.

Boardroom rift! Not good news but is it just a rumour?

Player power! Sort it out.

As mentioned before. If it's broke, then fix it. If it cannot be fixed, then the club have to react and do something about it.

What I will say is that the certain few coming on here, me included, will be highlighted as trouble makers for voicing their opinions.

What we cannot have is poor performances as per the last two awful games.

Well all I am prepared to say is that you should all make time to chat with SB after any of the forthcoming hat-trick of home games we have. Trust me he is very approachable. I cant expand on the bait i've mentioned its too sensitive.

Please tell all as I am fishing for answers after the 'sensitive bait' statement! Of course you won't but if there is a sensitive issue then someone has to sort it out for the benefit of our club.

Originally Posted By: andyetfc
To call an egm - 20 members or 10% of the total sum of members, whichever is the greater. At the moment, it's near enough the same figure.

Individuals talking to individuals is no good in my opinion. It's a club affair.

People are voting with their feet and we have had a poor season so far in a league which we were hoping to sail through.

Boardroom rift! Not good news but is it just a rumour?

Player power! Sort it out.

As mentioned before. If it's broke, then fix it. If it cannot be fixed, then the club have to react and do something about it.

What I will say is that the certain few coming on here, me included, will be highlighted as trouble makers for voicing their opinions.

What we cannot have is poor performances as per the last two awful games.

Lets really put things into perspective.

Yes people are not attending matches in numbers as they were before thats a fact and not an unusual scenario for a mediocre performing team. i.e mediocre performing team=mediocre crowds.

Whats wrong with our team? I know i'll get umpteen replies to tell me, but in reality, we are not gonna get relegated as much as we are not gonna get into a play off spot/promotion.

And most importantly, we have no given right to expect to beat any team in this league as some have called it an easy league to get out of. We play against teams that want to beat us as much as we would love to beat them, We'll win some lose some.

It took us 3-4 seasons to get out of the ESL with 300+ crowds and in respect to that league we were the equivalent of one of the Big Four premier teams.

So what is broken? Other than this continuos negativity and moaning that we are not top of the league.

Andy-I for one knows that your not a problem making individuel, neither are the likes of OT, Gazza, Steph, SL, MBruno or SOB, sorry if I've missed out anyone.

Reality again, we have a first team thats been messy this season, we have a reserve team to support our cause, and I know for a fact we have an U16 youth team with immense potential that are already proving they are better than the existing U18's. We also have other talented local youth lads lower down winning leagues (to be confirmed), so guys, I want us promoted and I want a stable squad and team, but is it that easy to create? there are 20 teams who dont get promoted.

On the playing front-people on this forum have slagged off the quality of the new players in comparison to those who left.

lets look at this individually.

Marcel v's Bastian Marcel for me
Noel v's Campbell/Allen Noel wins for me
Woolf v's Tickner Woolf for me but the bugger left
MCcoy v's Dauti MCcoy by a country mile
Edgar v's Crace Edgar for me
Winston v's Hammond Winston when/if he starts scoring
Roberts v's Hahn I think Roberts has shown a much higher level of good attitude in comparison i.e he was watching the Leyton game even though he is injured. Technically its even athletically its Roberts for me.

I accept its a results game and ours are mediocre so far but I really dont think we are as far away as the doom and gloom analysis that some are making and things are not as bad in general either, except for us to clear up this 'undermining' of the manager(s).