Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Slough Town vs Andover - updates

Matt

Without pussy-footing about that was a truly dreadful performance. We played one of the worst teams in the division and we put on an abolutely abysmal performance.

First half was pretty poor and on chances could have been 6-4.

Second half got even worse and we let a poor team take over and could quite easily have lost the game.

The midfield was non-existant. Fermie and Sonny were in each others pockets and Sonny kept falling over and probably had his worse game for us.

On a positive note we didn't give up and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Rumour is we are about to sign an AFC Hayes player who is a midfielder/striker which, on todays performance is much needed.

Considering we won 4-3, it seemed more like we stole the win.

After all of those silly yellow cards, the players seemed to hold back slightly, and Andover started to boss the game. It could have been 4-3 at half time. They had 2 cleared off the line, we had one cancelled for offside, even though Platt ran through 3 players (I was bang in line).

The second half, was the same old story. Left in the blocks, not closing down (as they did in the 1st half) which gave Andover the ball for most of the second half.

At 3-1 up, we played the game at their pace, instead of at OUR pace.

Again, like every one else, it seems weird not to be happy to win 4-3.

With the next game on Saturday, before the midweek madness starts, let's hope training can be used to further iron out problems

On the positive side. History will show we won and gained 3 points.

Unfortunately history will also tell us what bad management we have-nobody can call that a good performance and against a team lower down the league-sadly we are still within easy reach of the drop zone.

Guest Anonymous

As an Andover fan i can't believe the comments from you guys,Slough are quite near the the bottom of the league and three points are three points,you won,be happy.I couldnt care less if Andover had won the game if the winning goal had come of our forwards backside,we need the points and will take what we can,hopefully the lions can win a few more games by playing crap and go on to avoid the drop,I won't be complaining.

It is good to get the 3 points but that was awful, we were awful.

3 - 1 at HT flattered us but if we had played the second half like the first half we would most likely have ended deserving the win and fans mostly happy. But didn't we stink after half time. Heaven knows what was said but we might as well have stayed in the dressing room. We were slow, uninterested, soft and inevitably overrun.

Sweetman has to realise we need more strength in midfield. If our only options currently are Fermie and Brown then play them both. I would also like to know why have we persisted with DJ starting for so long? He hasn't looked like he could hit the 'barn door' for months. He's a goal scorer who's not scroring, dop him. And why do we keep on with Tom Atrell? Alright he's a Slough boy but he's too lightweight and has never looked like making an impact at this level. We have a great U 18's we should be giving them a try; I'd like to sse Stan Mugisha having another go if it's possible.

If this is harsh it's meant to be. There was no joy in yesterday' win and if you saw Luke Evans's face walking off then you'll know how most people felt.

Sort it out Sweetman.

Totally agree mrgh, the problem for me is that we play 3 up front and then have sonny and bubb who like to go forward too. This leaves a great big HOLE in midfield and puts too much pressure on fermie to clean up. The result of this is us being overun in midefield. yesterday was awful, the only players who really did anything was jacko who kept us in it 1st half as always, evans was solid at the back and yash ran his [****!!****] off up front.

For me i would drop DJ, how is it that he has only scored something like 4 goals this season, look at him yesterday, open goal and he passes to yash. No confidence whatsoever. Got to admit when he first came i thought he was a decent player even if he wasnt scoring but my god has he gone downhill.

Drop him and put platt and yash up front. sonny on the right, bubb on the left and then stick lawrence brown in the centre with fermie to help the defensive side of things. Problem solved.

Must agree that Yash kept on running yesterday, I cannot believe he was offside every time the linesman flagged but at least he was trying really hard to get to the balls played through, although that may not work against a better defence.

I do feel sorry for DJ, when he gets blocked off on a simple tap in like he was yesterday you could tell that there was to be no justice for all the effort he puts in our there.

Feeling better about the game today I must say, at least it is 3 points in the bag and a step closer towards a comfortable finish to the season. But we cannot afford to play like that against teams of higher ability, and need to be more consistant.

Looking forward to see how we line up and play against Uxbridge next week.

Guest Anonymous

I am a true rebel fan but due to moving away to somerset 9 years ago i have not watch a game in that time i watched the andover game, and was shocked about the fan support for the players. As a level two coach and currently working for Portsmouth, i know a thing about football, and both defence and attacking princples where missing.

when attacking you look to penertrate the defence if that ball is not on which was the case during that game due to the pace of the forward players. then you look to go wide or support the player on the ball by creating angles and space both infrount of the ball and behind.

defence was shocking also the basic stuff was missing (marking) not hard.

and the unwritten rule of if in dought kick it out. was used far to often i would have much rather seen the ball taken down and passed out wide which was an option nearly every time.

dispite this i think the team has a good squad of players and the manager on the day did a good job making so impact on the game with the subs he brought on the left wing player (Tom) should in my opion started but due to the ball not traveling though the wide channels instead the ball is kicked up and any defence that can head the ball will deal with everytime. it was only due to the poor defending of Andover that goals where scored.

James Thompson

Glad we won obviously, but it sounded like a real struggle and it seems like the same old mistakes are being made. We still need more width in my opinion and I'd prefer us to drop one of the strikers and beef up the midfield. If I was Sweets, I'd be looking for wide players rather than another central attacking option. But I think this needed to be done weeks ago.

Guest Anonymous

Can anyone provide a date when the last positive post or comment about the Manager was posted?

It looks like the fan base has lost confidence in the manager and it is now time to make the changes needed to turn this season round.

Thanks for your time Derek, but now go and find something new to do on a Saturday afternoon, because I am feed up with the poor performances and excusses - you are killing this club.