Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Scenic Railway On Fire

Originally Posted By: Cookie
Didn't he also own & have a fire at a Cliftonville(ex butlins)Hotel too? This bloke is extremely unlucky isn't he? wink laugh

cookie i worked at the Grand hotel at the time you mention JG had an interest in the hotels this is about 2002/3 ish,but he didnt commit it was brought by the local Jewish community in that area 4get the names now, also the fire you mention was in a building behind the george wing of the hotel, opposite the Hotel Leslie in Surrey road

Originally Posted By: Frankie100
The Council "HOPED that the owners of the site, the Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company, would undertake the necessary work"

The council should not HOPE but DEMAND that the Reading based company (who have been trying to sell the Dreamland site to the property company who have built unsellable luxury flats on the Sea Bathing site) rebuild and if (more like when) they come up with all manner of excuses then Thanet Council should compulsory purchase the site and give Toby Hunter and Jim Godden 1p for their troubles and tell them to bugger off

I would not give Jimmy Godden the price of a can of petrol

Totally agree Frankie. The council must put their foot down on this one. No sweeping it under the carpet. Tell MTCRC to rebuild, and if they won't, compulsory purchase is the only way for it.

It was so obvious this was going to happen. Why does this keep continuing?

I spent my younger years in Pleasurama in Ramsgate, playing pool on the lower floor and banging the two penny pushers on the upper :-). The history of Pleasurama is amazing, considering it was the old seaside railway station. I think they housed a mini zoo behind it for a while years ago as well.

Dreamland has, as well, been the focus on any young person growing up in Thanet at any time over recent decades, even during the Bemobom era. Let it be known though, burning down the Scenic Railway takes everything to a very different level. It is a listed landmark, a thing of history, and I hope, for Godden's sake, he is not behind this.

Originally Posted By: Firefly
It was so obvious this was going to happen. Why does this keep continuing?

I spent my younger years in Pleasurama in Ramsgate, playing pool on the lower floor and banging the two penny pushers on the upper :-). The history of Pleasurama is amazing, considering it was the old seaside railway station. I think they housed a mini zoo behind it for a while years ago as well.

Dreamland has, as well, been the focus on any young person growing up in Thanet at any time over recent decades, even during the Bemobom era. Let it be known though, burning down the Scenic Railway takes everything to a very different level. It is a listed landmark, a thing of history, and I hope, for Godden's sake, he is not behind this.

i rememeber all that at Pleaurama too - those pool tables is were i learnt the game, and yes there was a zoo there i have the old pictures , great memories

Over the past 30 or so years we've lost Margate Jetty and the Sun-decks(to natural causes), various fires has decimated the seafront and Dreamland Cinema has closed. Another attraction for local residents many years ago was the Sarre Country Club which went up in flames.

Does anybody know whose company owned the SCC?