Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Scenic Railway On Fire

Ian, are you saying that The Gunners manager is responsible for setting light to the scenic railway? No wonder they lost, he should have been with the team, not down in Margate with a can of petrol. Wonder if it was Sandy who lit the match?

I doubt it,not personally anyway. Makes me laugh when he says he & the Council are going to do everything in their power to get it re-built.He has to say that.Especially now that its back-fired to some extent & not ALL been burnt.Thats not quite the same thing as saying "We guarantee it will be re-built".They have no intentions of doing so i.m.o. & in most peoples opinions I think.More empty words.

This council survive purely on promises.I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Turner white elephant is scrapped soon too.

My message to Thanet council is this."If the Cutty Sark can be restored then so can this structure".

We are watching,we are watching.

Very mysterious....Bit like the fire in Pleasurama in Ramsgate....Wasnt that owned by Jimmy Godden as well?

I wonder if Thanet Council will be calling for a full public enquiry? If they dont i hope somebody will. Its a tragedy what has happened to Margate over the years.

Once upon a time visitors were stunned by sea views, nowadays they are stunned by the decay and boarded up buildings.

Originally Posted By: rayw
Very mysterious....Bit like the fire in Pleasurama in Ramsgate....Wasnt that owned by Jimmy Godden as well?

Yes it was although that was particularly unlucky as there was a fire there a few days before it actually burnt down but the fire brigade put that one out with not too much damage.
Not forgetting that he also owned the arcade that burnt down on Margate seafront.
He also owned the Rotunda at Folkestone and there was a fire in a building there as well as one on a roller coaster. Oh, and the Waltzer caught fire at Dreamland a couple of years back.
Also, on a blog somewhere (possibly East Cliff Richard's) it was pointed out that this unfortunate businessman has also seen fires at arcades of his in Herne Bay and Whitstable.
I do not see why people think that there would be a need for a public enquiry?
Steve

Originally Posted By: Steve B 2

His arcade and funfair at Folkestone also went the same way.

According to Radio Kent a few minutes ago it is a legal requirement that the repairs are undertaken. Something to do with a council meeting this morning but as I heard it in the car I did not get the full story.

The Council "HOPED that the owners of the site, the Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company, would undertake the necessary work"

The council should not HOPE but DEMAND that the Reading based company (who have been trying to sell the Dreamland site to the property company who have built unsellable luxury flats on the Sea Bathing site) rebuild and if (more like when) they come up with all manner of excuses then Thanet Council should compulsory purchase the site and give Toby Hunter and Jim Godden 1p for their troubles and tell them to bugger off

I would not give Jimmy Godden the price of a can of petrol

Originally Posted By: Hornet
Unfortuneately the new enemy within seems to be Paige Properties

Would you buy a property from a company who dismiss their contractors then lock the contractors equipment on the site despite being told by the police to release the stuff, or a company who go into an agreed purchase then backtrack causing all manner of confusion, or a company whose description of items leaves a lot to be desired