Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Statement from Liam Daish on 'Picking the Team'

PatMan, dom and I probably aren't as far away from each other's view as that quotation appeared. I was responding to your question about whether it could be dropped if the membership turned out to be strongly opposed to it. And theoretically, as Dom also says, it probably could be.

But realistically, I don't think it will be dropped, at least not at this stage. I just hope we get a system in place that allows for enough feedback that the team doesn't suffer as a result. I know that some people don't believe ANY "pick the team" system is capable of doing that. I'm very unsure myself.

I think if 29,000 members were truly committed to learning as much as they can and actively participating, then the "pick the team" process wouldn't be so frightening. But it is my opinion (and only mine) that the level of participation in all things MyFC is far too low actually to pick the team. But I'm one vote, and I did vote in the poll that I'm not interested in picking the team. I expect my vote to be a minority one, however. And if we do end up picking the team, I will vote for every game, just so I don't cede my voice to someone else who may not be prepared.

Originally Posted By: doheochai

There are nearly 30,000 members Pat - hardly surprising that there would be differences of opinion on issues.

Theres only a handful who post here, and ye can't agree!

The 'pick-the-team' concept is not 'flawed'

If it wasn't flawed it would have been implemented by now. Maybe 'flawed' isn't the right word. But in its current format, it doesn't work.

Dom, we aren't going to agree on this. You want 'pick the team' and want it ASAP. I dont - EVER.
Lets leave it there.

Originally Posted By: rsheard
But it is my opinion (and only mine) that the level of participation in all things MyFC is far too low actually to pick the team.

I would doubt you are the only one of that opinion! (And yes, I do realise I am probably taking your quote out of context just to prove a point - fun to be had with the 'quote' feature!)
Originally Posted By: rsheard
I did vote in the poll that I'm not interested in picking the team. I expect my vote to be a minority one

At least you are happy to vote according to YOUR wishes.
Dom has always stated he didn't join MyFC to pick the team, yet voted that he wants to pick the team and for Liam to make limited changes. His argument being that its best for MyFC that they go ahead with what they promised. Conflict of interests over what HE wants, compared to what is best for MyFC methinks?

Originally Posted By: PatMan

If it wasn't flawed it would have been implemented by now. Maybe 'flawed' isn't the right word. But in its current format, it doesn't work.

We have to start somewhere and someone has to be the first to do this. You are assuming it will not work - I am willing to give it a chance to see if it does and I hope we both are big enough to give it the thumbs up if it does and scrap it if it doesn't

At least you are happy to vote according to YOUR wishes.
Dom has always stated he didn't join MyFC to pick the team, yet voted that he wants to pick the team and for Liam to make limited changes. His argument being that its best for MyFC that they go ahead with what they promised. Conflict of interests over what HE wants, compared to what is best for MyFC methinks?

I would argue that I voted in what was in the best interests of the club and MyFC. If I operated purely on my own personal beliefs there are a lot of things that I would do differently. But as a member of MyFC I have a responsibility to act in what I consider to be in the best interests of the club. For a number of different reasons PTT is vital for the long-term well-being of the club and MyFC. This does not mean that it is set in stone and cannot be change - but at this moment in time it has to be implemented as a short to medium term necessity. In the longer-term if the MyFC membership evolves to a situation where they are happy to scrap it, then I don't have a problem with that either.

Dom - don't forget - you owe me pints when (if) the membership drops below 15k next year!

Maybe thats the reason I want it delayed! grin

Didn't we have some agreement also about you owning me pints if the turnover of the club was up

I would argue that I voted in what was in the best interests of the club and MyFC. If I operated purely on my own personal beliefs there are a lot of things that I would do differently. But as a member of MyFC I have a responsibility to act in what I consider to be in the best interests of the club.

yeah we noticed that in your childish rants when you got booted off the board.....very responsible... grin

No Pat - people paid their money based on being able to pick the team. Option 2 is a good option. the selector will be used for the rest of the season with information and feedback being provided by the coaching staff. I suspect that when it's up and running the team selected by the members will be the same as what Daish himself would have picked or at the very least one he would be happy enough to put on the pitch - at least in most circumstances and on the odd occasion he will still be able to make an alteration. While I didn't join MyFC to pick the team, I do believe it will work and I will fully participate.

If the team that MyFC picks starts losing game after game, who will start to take the blame ?

Surely not Daish, as he has the get out of jail "OUT OF MY HANDS" line, ready prepared....

I bet he's loving this MyFC thang, he can just sit back, pick up his cheque each week, coach the lads in training, but on Saturday, whatever the result, he is not picking the team...