Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

MyFC!

Jeff

"it was tried once before in russia I believe.."

Sorry mate, but I need to correct this. In the days of Stalin, and the Bolshoviks, Russia never had a "Democracy". There was no illusion that the Government was elected by the people. Their people never got a chance to vote........ Now if you are talking about the illusion of "Democracy", and rigging votes for the benefit of a few, then you need look no further than the Good old US of A, and it's "Biatch" the UK!!! :o((

Cheers!!

Tyse.

Can I play this semantics game too please ? Ta.

Sorry, mate, but the state of Stalin and Co. was not "Russia" per se; it was the USSR/Soviet Union.

Now, in the pre-Communist Russia you could argue that there was indeed a limited version of "democracy".

But we'd better mind our manners or WB might start imagining himself as the Tsar of EUFC. wink

"Sorry, mate, but the state of Stalin and Co. was not "Russia" per se; it was the USSR/Soviet Union."

Agreed, but part of the USSR/Soviet Union was the Republic of Russia. Therefore, my statement still holds true, if I also wanted to play the semantics game!! ;c))

"Now, in the pre-Communist Russia you could argue that there was indeed a limited version of "democracy"."

I can't be arsed, not on a Footbal forum anyway. Some other time maybe?? ;c))

Cheers!!

Tyse

Originally Posted By: waggamick
Unc,
You and the Derryman might look at applying for the management team at Schadenfraude FC.

The term derives from Schaden (damage, harm) and Freude (joy); Schaden derives from the Middle High German schade, from the Old High German scado, and freude comes from the Middle High German vreude, from the Old High German frewida, from frō, (happy). In German, the word always carries a negative connotation. A distinction exists between "secret schadenfreude" (a private feeling) and "open schadenfreude" (Hohn, a German word roughly translated as "scorn") which is outright public derision.

Usually, it is stated that Schadenfreude has no direct English equivalent. For example, Harper Collins German-English Dictionary translates schadenfreude as "malicious glee or gloating." However, an apparent English equivalent is epicaricacy, derived from the Greek word ἐπιχαιρεκακία, epichaerecacia.[dubious – discuss] This word does not appear in most modern dictionaries, but does appear in Nathaniel Bailey's Universal Etymological English Dictionary (1727) under a slightly different spelling (epicharikaky), which gives its etymology as a compound of epi (upon), chara (joy), and kakon (evil).[citation needed] The word does not appear, in either spelling, in the Oxford English Dictionary.[1][2] A more common English equivalent than 'epicaricacy' might be the expression 'Roman holiday', which means pleasure derived from watching someone else's suffering, and is derived from the delight of Roman citizens' at the gladiatorial spectacles in the Colosseum.

Another phrase with a meaning similar to Schadenfreude is "morose delectation" ("delectatio morosa" in Latin), meaning "the habit of dwelling with enjoyment on evil thoughts".[2] The medieval church taught morose delectation is a sin.[3][4] French writer Pierre Klossowski (1905-2001) maintained that the appeal of sadism is morose delectation.[5][6]

In English, the word sometimes is capitalized, because of the German spelling convention of capitalizing all common nouns in addition to proper nouns; however, as a loanword in English, it is typically left uncapitalized, following the rules of English orthography. The adjective version is schadenfroh, though often anglicized to schadenfreudy.

The Buddhist concept of mudita, "sympathetic joy" or "happiness in another's good fortune," is cited as an example of the opposite of schadenfreude.[7][8]

Originally Posted By: clowntown
If anyone's interested, MyFC currently has exactly 1,000 members from Kent. It was 253 before G&N were named as the takeover club, so read into that what you will about how many G&N fans are members of MyFC.

...and your point is ????

Originally Posted By: Hirsty
If anyone's interested, MyFC currently has exactly 1,000 members from Kent. It was 253 before G&N were named as the takeover club, so read into that what you will about how many G&N fans are members of MyFC.

harry nilsson recognised the future content of internet fora way back in the 70's when he wrote and released his sureal album the point..... grin

Haven't got a 'kin clue what you're on about Unc....keep taking the tablets & have a good weekend.

Cheers.

ha ha...I'll explain some other time...

good luck tomorrow..I shall be mentioning you guys on our live margate broadcast....come to that if anyone wants to update me from the game I shall pm them a mobile number and follow the game along with other match updates...

you are after all in essex really.... grin

Who said I had a point? I was merely providing information. People have asked on here several times how much of the MyFC membership were local to Kent, and Will Brooks had just revealed the figure on the MyFC message board so I was passing it on to any people on here who might be interested. I was just trying to be HELPFUL. Honestly, I don't know why I bother. Ptchow.